Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Swartz Creek, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No progress has been made at the Swartz Creek SuperCharger site. I did take a couple of photos today.
Some folks say if no photos then it didn't happen. Well in this case here are the photos, and it still didn't happen. :)

Swartz Creek SC 1.jpeg

Swartz Creek SC 2.jpeg

Swartz Creek SC 3.jpeg

No idea why they are delayed at this site. If the pedestal are in short supply it would be nice if they could spread them out among the locations waiting for them. Temporarily installing just two working pedestals here sure would help out.

No idea why they are delayed at this site. If the pedestal are in short supply it would be nice if they could spread them out among the locations waiting for them. Temporarily installing just two working pedestals here sure would help out.

That would take a lot of additional effort and increase costs. Crew has to come out twice, inspector has to come out twice, Tesla Supercharger tech has to come out twice.

Some other places around the country got their pedestals recently. So perhaps the backlog is over. But who knows where this site is in the list of getting them delivered...and then installed and the site commissioned... Much to do, and like you said, time is still ticking.

Is there any data around knowing if past superchargers have been brought online during fall and/or winter temperatures? Is it possible that this location could go dormant until next spring? A quick assessment shows that this location has one of the longest Construction statues (in days) in the country!

Is there any data around knowing if past superchargers have been brought online during fall and/or winter temperatures? Is it possible that this location could go dormant until next spring? A quick assessment shows that this location has one of the longest Construction statues (in days) in the country!
Weather is not an issue. There are many Superchargers that have been built and opened during winter months.

Seconded to Hartford, at 245 compared here to 184. Craziest thing about that is Hartford already had the pedestals installed when it was discovered, so it was probably under construction for even longer than 245!

Ugh. This is disappointing. I wonder if something else is up here? As I asked myself this, I thought I'd go take a look through some of the Swartz Creek municipal records. The only thing of note I discovered was a $25.00 outstanding building department permit: https://bsaonline.com/CD_OnlinePaym...ymentSortBy=Address&PaymentSortAscending=True

Looking at this record it would appear Black & Veatch is the engineering firm. If I pay the $25 personally, does that mean this site can be completed? If so, I got this one! :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and outdoors
For quite some time there were several chargers under construction around the country (continent) that were at a point where they looked complete but were only missing the charging pedestals. Several of those sites (that I've been following) have recently gotten their charging pedestals delivered and installed (and they are now open). i'm guessing that this site is somewhere in the order of sites that are due to get pedestals at some point...as soon as the ones in front of it get theirs. So that's where we are...waiting for the pedestals (which now appear to be flowing again) to get here so that they can get installed.

I'm sure it's only a matter of (some indeterminate amount of) time... :)

Still no pedestals. Maybe next year.:rolleyes:View attachment 468262

Or later this year.

As long as the remaining work doesn't require breaking ground (which it doesn't), it can be done any time.

Tesla is currently opening Superchargers at a pace of 11 per month, but October isn't yet complete.

This year, Tesla seems to have standardized the approach to the sites, with the work being done in a clear order:
1) trenching and power run.
2) groundwork, including conduits and slabs
3) Tesla cabinets and step-down transformers. Utility transformer.
4) Pedestals
5) Final testing and commissioning.

We see that there are many Supercharger locations with the first two steps completed, which means that there is no more groundwork required, which means that the remaining work can be done on frozen ground.

2019, Tesla Supercharger Openings in North America:

MonCount
1013*

* To 10/20.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and mrau
I have a theory why there is no more progress on any supercharger:
There are now so many Tesla owners observing the progress of superchargers that the Quantum Zeno Effect can be observed.
So can we all agree to no longer watch the state of superchargers, till they are done?
For those not familiar with this effect: „a system can't change while you are watching it" aka „a watched pot never boils“. ;-)
Further details here
Quantum Zeno effect - Wikipedia

PS: At least stop watching the Novi one, which is on top of my watch list
PPS: Oh no — Streisand effect
Streisand effect - Wikipedia

There are now so many Tesla owners observing the progress of superchargers that the Quantum Zeno Effect can be observed.
This is a pretty decent hypothesis. As supporting evidence, during observations and experiment on prior Superchargers being built, others have noticed that they often exhibit standard quantum behaviors. E.g. as soon as the pedestals are installed, the site enters a state of superposition where it is both done and not done at the same time--the classic Schrödinger's SC. This doesn't usually last too long though, as experimenters will quickly try plugging in at which point it immediately collapses to either "On" or "Not On". However, if you truly want to appeal to QM as the underlying theory, you're first going to have to square it with GR--it's very clear, and nigh universally agreed, that Tesla's build schedules/timelines are best explained via relativistic effects (i.e. Elon Time as a gravitational time dilation correction factor due to the schedules traveling through the well of Musk's ego/persona prior to publication).

:)