Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sweetwater, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking deliver of my model X ...
Lbkmxp100d Here are three options if you are prepared to use your Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) and the NEMA 14-50 connector that is sold with your car:
Abilene KOA (325) 672-3681
Abilene KOA | Abilene, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Chapparal RV Park (a few blocks away @ 300 E Bradford Ln, Sweetwater‎ TX‎ 79556)
Chapparal RV Park | Sweetwater, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Andy's RV Park (325) 573-1166
Andy's RV Park | Snyder, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

These may be slow. But good for an extra 10-20 miles of 'insurance' in your battery.

And, if you can verify that you can get NOTHING in Sweetwater, you could stop in Abilene. There are a few options there. Even an individual with a Tesla charger is listed on Plugshare who would no doubt love to help out if you can work out scheduling. Even if you do, have other options planned out. Plans B and C are always needed when trying a run without Superchargers.

I'm taking deliver of my model X p100d tomorrow in Dallas and driving back home to lubbock. Last week while scheduling pick up date tesla told me the station was down and they expected vandalism. Im thinking about using Cisco and I have 220 miles to house from there. This is my first EV and first trip in one as well so I'm very nervous. The alternative is to take an extreme detour up north of Dallas through Oklahoma and down from Amarillo. I really hope Tesla realizes this is a crucial supercharger for anyone with EV within 250 mile radius traveling to Dallas and they urgently need to get it back online! If Sweetwater was offline when I looked into order my Tesla back in November it may have pursueded me differently as I need to make this trip fairly regularly. Makes one wonder if someone working in oilfield did the vandalism out of despite of EV's.

At any rate, I will post what Tesla tells me at time of p/u tomorrow.

That will be an interesting trip. Just be sure to use your trip navigation function and you should be ok. However, remember there is an elevation gain once you head North off of I20 outside of Sweetwater for Lubbock. I would not travel any faster than 65 due to the cold weather and elevation gain. If you could plan a stop in Abilene to eat I would stop there and plug up at the HIlton (it is behind the hotel) and go eat and add 20 miles of range or so.

That will be an interesting trip. Just be sure to use your trip navigation function and you should be ok. However, remember there is an elevation gain once you head North off of I20 outside of Sweetwater for Lubbock. I would not travel any faster than 65 due to the cold weather and elevation gain. If you could plan a stop in Abilene to eat I would stop there and plug up at the HIlton (it is behind the hotel) and go eat and add 20 miles of range or so.

Interesting is correct! Being my first time driving an EV I think I'm going to be on a steep learning curve but I do plan to not go over 65. It's going to be hard as I typically take my Ferrari 458 or McLaren 12c when making this trip and i open those vehicles up with my 360 passport as my buzz beater. However, knowing I could potentially be stranded without the possibility of someone bringing me a can of gas is enough to slow anyone down.

I will probably stop at Sweetwater even if Tesla says the station is offline just to see if I can get any of the stations to charge since there has been a couple people say that they were able to get a slow charge out of a couple chargers and report back.

Being my first time driving an EV I think I'm going to be on a steep learning curve but I do plan to not go over 65.

I've got ~100k miles on my P85... I've run the battery down to 0 a few times but always made it :cool:

Here's the 'trick'... if you don't think you'll make it... slow down. Still don't think you'll make it?... slow down. ~30 on the shoulder with hazards flashing sucks but it's better than getting towed. With a 100kWh pack and 220 miles I think you'll be fine. The car does a pretty good job of warning you... it's annoyingly conservative with its nagging.

I've got ~100k miles on my P85... I've run the battery down to 0 a few times but always made it :cool:

Here's the 'trick'... if you don't think you'll make it... slow down. Still don't think you'll make it?... slow down. ~30 on the shoulder with hazards flashing sucks but it's better than getting towed. With a 100kWh pack and 220 miles I think you'll be fine. The car does a pretty good job of warning you... it's annoyingly conservative with its nagging.

Thanks for the pointers! I'm headed to Dallas now and plan to p/u Tesla around 9am. I will post an update on Sweetwater's status and hopeful hit on the importance of getting it back online. Some have posted it's been down for a while which is disappointing as Tesla called me late last week to schedule my p/u and it sure seemed that it had just gone down and they were working hard to get it back up.

Thanks for the pointers! I'm headed to Dallas now and plan to p/u Tesla around 9am. I will post an update on Sweetwater's status and hopeful hit on the importance of getting it back online. Some have posted it's been down for a while which is disappointing as Tesla called me late last week to schedule my p/u and it sure seemed that it had just gone down and they were working hard to get it back up.

My advice - START out slow and monitor things. It is always easier to speed up later in the trip when you realize you will have more than enough to make your destination than it is to slow down later when you realize you don't have enough to make it. I can't stress this enough, it is always easier and much less stressful to START slow and then speed up later as opposed to the opposite.

Mike

EDIT: As an example, it's better to make the whole trip at 65 MPH than to make the first 75 miles at 80 MPH and then have to travel the last 125 miles at 50 MPH.

Last edited:
My advice - START out slow and monitor things. It is always easier to speed up later in the trip when you realize you will have more than enough to make your destination than it is to slow down later when you realize you don't have enough to make it. I can't stress this enough, it is always easier and much less stressful to START slow and then speed up later as opposed to the opposite.

Mike

EDIT: As an example, it's better to make the whole trip at 65 MPH than to make the first 75 miles at 80 MPH and then have to travel the last 125 miles at 50 MPH.

Mike,

That's a great point. I plan to set cruise on 65 and enjoy my first EV experience. I appreciate everyone's insightful suggestions and I have made note.

Reactions: HillCountryFun
Mike,

That's a great point. I plan to set cruise on 65 and enjoy my first EV experience. I appreciate everyone's insightful suggestions and I have made note.

This is great advice. I was in a similar position as you are. It was my first time driving an EV. I had actually paid to have my Tesla delivered to my house, but I was too impatient so I flew in to Dallas and drove it back to Lubbock. I would say start even slower. I drove 55 from the Tesla location all the way until I made it outside of the metroplex, then kicked it up to 65.

I've come really close to getting a Model X P100D! Can't wait to see yours driving around Lubbock. I'm waiting to see what the specs are on the 100D.

Reactions: Lbkmxp100d
This is great advice. I was in a similar position as you are. It was my first time driving an EV. I had actually paid to have my Tesla delivered to my house, but I was too impatient so I flew in to Dallas and drove it back to Lubbock. I would say start even slower. I drove 55 from the Tesla location all the way until I made it outside of the metroplex, then kicked it up to 65.

I've come really close to getting a Model X P100D! Can't wait to see yours driving around Lubbock. I'm waiting to see what the specs are on the 100D.

Nice to hear from another Hubcity Tesla owner! We need to meet up at some point and I can give you a ride in mine. What do you currently own? I have been extremely impressed so far.

Sweetwater update from Tesla: Let me start off saying or lack there of... when I asked the Dallas Tesla service center when they expected the Sweetwater station to be back online I was told they didn't have an exact timeframe but should be soon. That was followed up with the best source of info is on this forum and the service center most times doesn't get the info until much after the fact. Fremont Tesla has much more updated info according to service center.

I will stop by Sweetwater and see if I can get any kind of charge and report back.

Nice to hear from another Hubcity Tesla owner! We need to meet up at some point and I can give you a ride in mine. What do you currently own? I have been extremely impressed so far.

Defintely. I'd love to check out the P100D. I may still end up getting that, but won't make a decision until I see the specs on the 100D version of the Model X.

I currently drive a black P85. I live in Lubbock on the weekends.

I (think) I've seen three other Tesla's in Lubbock. A white one, another black one, and a grey Model S. I have not seen a Model X in Lubbock. A friend of mine in Andrews has a P90D Model X and he really likes it. I need more range than the P90D version offers. I travel fairly frequently so range is king for me, but I also would rather not have anything with performance lower than my P85. It's just too fun.

Sweetwater update from Tesla: Let me start off saying or lack there of... when I asked the Dallas Tesla service center when they expected the Sweetwater station to be back online I was told they didn't have an exact timeframe but should be soon. That was followed up with the best source of info is on this forum and the service center most times doesn't get the info until much after the fact. Fremont Tesla has much more updated info according to service center.

I will stop by Sweetwater and see if I can get any kind of charge and report back.

I emailed Tesla Supercharging a few days ago and requested an update. No response yet. I initially reported problems there on October 13th. On my last trip to Dallas we had to take an ICE because my lovely bride wasn't up for driving slow to make it to Cisco. Lol. I have another trip to Dallas coming up after the new year and will take the Model S and just drive whatever speed is necessary to make it to Cisco if Sweetwater is still down. But, it would be nice to know if one can get any charge in Sweetwater so let us know.

I am sooooo ready for a Model X, but keep preaching patience to myself. Grrrr

John

Defintely. I'd love to check out the P100D. I may still end up getting that, but won't make a decision until I see the specs on the 100D version of the Model X.

I currently drive a black P85. I live in Lubbock on the weekends.

I (think) I've seen three other Tesla's in Lubbock. A white one, another black one, and a grey Model S. I have not seen a Model X in Lubbock. A friend of mine in Andrews has a P90D Model X and he really likes it. I need more range than the P90D version offers. I travel fairly frequently so range is king for me, but I also would rather not have anything with performance lower than my P85. It's just too fun.

My tesla is the model X. There is a red X 90d in town. I saw it yesterday while at Covenant. I'm 24 mi from Sweetwater supercharger so I will update shortly. Showing offline on tesla nav but I will verify since some said they got a slow charge. I'm currently showing a 12% reserve when I get home but it would be nice to get another 10% if possible.

I'm going to message you my cell.

Reactions: bollar
This is a pic of me charging my p100d in Sweetwater. Obviously not charging at the rate it's supposed to but good enough for someone who just needs a little cushion or someone staying the night. I'm in stall 3B. Tried a couple other stalls but this one was by far best option.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: bollar and ohmman
This is a pic of me charging my p100d in Sweetwater. Obviously not charging at the rate it's supposed to but good enough for someone who just needs a little cushion or someone staying the night. I'm in stall 3B. Tried a couple other stalls but this one was by far best option.

Yep, if I were desperate for some juice I'd be jumping for joy at that (as opposed to completely down).

Congrats on the new X!

Mike