Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sweetwater, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 8 stalls are the only supercharger stalls on a 200 mile stretch of interstate and they are about to be shipping a ton of Model 3s to the area.
Sorry I don’t buy your argument. Cisco supercharger is 85 miles to the east, Midland is 115 miles to the west. That’s more superchargers closer together on I-20 than on most Texas interstates. A Model 3 could easily go from Cisco to Midland without even stopping at Sweetwater. I’ve been at Sweetwater twice and never saw another Tesla. As for the ton of Model 3s, they’re not coming anywhere near this area. The closest metro area is Ft. Worth which is almost 200 miles away. I can think of a dozen or more locations in Texas much greater need of superchargers on both sides of the highway than Sweetwater!

Reactions: SoTX_WestTX
Sorry I don’t buy your argument. Cisco supercharger is 85 miles to the east, Midland is 115 miles to the west. That’s more superchargers closer together on I-20 than on most Texas interstates. A Model 3 could easily go from Cisco to Midland without even stopping at Sweetwater. I’ve been at Sweetwater twice and never saw another Tesla. As for the ton of Model 3s, they’re not coming anywhere near this area. The closest metro area is Ft. Worth which is almost 200 miles away. I can think of a dozen or more locations in Texas much greater need of superchargers on both sides of the highway than Sweetwater!

I agree. I think it more like that they have a good deal agreed with Walmart and they'll install a Supercharger there, moving it from the Hampton Inn.

Hotels are not ideal due to ICEing risk. I'd think that Walmarts are likely only a Christmas shopping ICEing risk. (Our local Walmart gets stupidly busy at peak, but there's a single access road.)

85+115=200

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
85+115=200
I get the math. My point is the current 3 superchargers over the 200 mile stretch of I-20 is more than what most highways in Texas have, and more than adequate for west Texas. The much more heavily travelled I-10 in east Texas/ west Louisiana only has 3 superchargers in a 210 mile stretch (Columbus, Channelview, Lake Charles) and that crosses Houston metro area with over 5 million people. From there all the way to Florida there are never more than 3 superchargers in any 200 mile stretch of I-10, nor are there heading west until you get to California.

Last edited:
Semi Truck guys.... Semi Trucks..... It's Megacharger time!

Why do I feel like I've missed a reference?

Interesting idea, but I think it's just a regular deal. The sleeping giants of Target and Walmart have woken up. With their interest in Electrify American and Tesla, and with Tesla's other deals with chains I think we can be sure that getting hosts is not going to be a problem in the future.

Megachargers... or maybe Tesla has reached a deal with Walmart to put Superchargers at many locations, and Sweetwater is just one of many.

“We recognize that electric vehicles are going to grow and become more relevant,” Mark Vanderhelm, vice president for energy at Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, told Reuters. “We are trying to get out in front of that.”

Reactions: DriverOne
Is there a Walmart in Lubbock by any chance? :)

It's a little late, but you can suggest a site here.

Welcome to Electrify America | Submissions

Electrify American is being funded by Volkswagen (as penance for dieselgate) and they are locating the fast chargers at WalMarts and Targets on highways. It looks like the most money will be spent in California, but here in Texas we DO have a lot of highways, and a lot of Walmarts.