Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tacna, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New surprise supercharger!

Don't even know if this was a grey pin on Tesla's map before?

upload_2020-3-24_23-46-9.png

An I-8 splitter, that breaks up a 116 mile gap between Yuma, AZ and Gila Bend, AZ.

Now maybe look out for El Cajon, CA (which is on the findus map) or something to the east. From the start of I-8 to El Centro, CA is about 118 miles, and Tesla seems to be cutting many of those gaps.

Tacna - that was cool - checked the changes today on supercharge.info and saw this addition. I thought that is cool - where the heck is that? Pleasantly surprised to see it on I 8 and not another SC location north of Phoenix or something like that. I don't think anybody stops in Tacna, so not surprising that it remained under the radar.

I see now. It's a brand new Shell station:

Tacna Shell Travel Center

FWIW, the pic looks very similar to the Shell Station in Willow Beach, AZ (between Vegas and Kingman) which is also rumored to be a future supercharger location. Not sure if the Shell in Willow Beach is new like this, but it looked new ish when I stopped in on March 1st. There were some extra transformers, an excavator, and some pipes sticking up out of the ground, but nothing that specifically looked like supercharger construction just yet. I took some pics but didn't bother posting because there was nothing concrete.

Laslty, the most recent supercharger opening in AZ at New River was also a Shell Station. So perhaps there is some agreement and many will go in at Shells.

I-8

Tacna, AZ

Along Primary Interstates: I-8
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: None

I-8

To: Gila Bend, AZ - 74.7 miles
Diversion: 1.3 miles
To: I-10 near Casa Grande, AZ - 137.7 miles

Splitter! Splits a 116.8 mile gap between Yuma, AZ and Gila Bend, AZ.
One more needed west of El Centro, CA to make I-8 gaps 100 miles or less.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart

FWIW, the pic looks very similar to the Shell Station in Willow Beach, AZ (between Vegas and Kingman) which is also rumored to be a future supercharger location. Not sure if the Shell in Willow Beach is new like this, but it looked new ish when I stopped in on March 1st. There were some extra transformers, an excavator, and some pipes sticking up out of the ground, but nothing that specifically looked like supercharger construction just yet. I took some pics but didn't bother posting because there was nothing concrete.

Laslty, the most recent supercharger opening in AZ at New River was also a Shell Station. So perhaps there is some agreement and many will go in at Shells.

I can confirm that there will be a V3 supercharger at that Shell between Vegas and Kingman. The company that owns that station owns the Tacna and New River stations. (I have a personal friend who is a knowledgable insider with that company.) I actually gave people a heads-up about Tacna and New River in one of the Arizona Tesla groups on Facebook. So -- get on Facebook and don't be surprised when stuff like this happens! ;-)

I can confirm that there will be a V3 supercharger at that Shell between Vegas and Kingman. The company that owns that station owns the Tacna and New River stations. (I have a personal friend who is a knowledgable insider with that company.) I actually gave people a heads-up about Tacna and New River in one of the Arizona Tesla groups on Facebook. So -- get on Facebook and don't be surprised when stuff like this happens! ;-)
Better to get a pleasant surprise than watch something take weeks and months to materialize. But thanks for the heads up on the Kingman/Vegas info.

I hope they can stay open, the shell/subway that is. If not, the SC will still work. That was a risky thing to do - open a sandwich shop in the middle of nowhere. We shall see - I wish them good luck.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Do they own the one on Rita road as well? (SE of Tucson on I10)

I live in Yuma and have never seen any reason to stop in Tacna. There is really nothing much there other than a Post Office, an RV park, couple of cafes and a Chevron station. It's a really desolate village. Apparently there is a fairly new Pilot gas station on the south side of I-8 that has a Subway sandwich shop and the new Superchargers. I guess now I finally have an excuse to stop by and check out Tacna. :)