Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tacna, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tacna Supercharger out of service
7A9291FE-F7A9-42EF-A3EC-37654637C6C8.jpeg

This is my biggest fear on cross-country road trips, especially when in the middle of nowhere. Any Level 2 chargers nearby? What about 120v from the service station? (I know, not a good option) Anyone know if the Tesla nav system has been updated to show the outage? Is it just the supercharger, or is the whole area out of power? Just curious...

Plugshare says there are cars charging on the stations outlets, likely Level 1. As for Level 2, there is an RV park next door with 50A service but that is only useful for people with the proper mobile adapter and if the RV park will let them use the spots. However, about two hours at the RV park should be enough to reach Yuma but going the other way would be a good bit more.

• Informative
Reactions: ybbor and PStewart
Plugshare says there are cars charging on the stations outlets, likely Level 1. As for Level 2, there is an RV park next door with 50A service but that is only useful for people with the proper mobile adapter and if the RV park will let them use the spots. However, about two hours at the RV park should be enough to reach Yuma but going the other way would be a good bit more.
This assumes they are all on zero. Could probably make it to Yuma with about 35 rated miles and some careful driving. And obviously the potential top-off at the nearby RV park would not take all that long. I get that it's inconvenient, tweeting Elon seems excessively dramatic. If I had to guess, all of them could be on their way without a tow truck and delays in the 0-3 hour range.

Something felt ergonomically wrong when I unplugged and hung up the cord. The pedestals appear to be installed backwards with the cord connected on the left side and the holster and plug on the right side as viewed from the parking space. It’s not a smooth motion to unplug and return the plug to the holster. I had to transfer the plug from my right hand to my left hand and then turn around to holster it. If I used my left hand to unplug, then the cable twisted wrong to holster it.
View attachment 525897

Actually that configuration gives more reach from pedestal to car's inlet.

• Informative
Reactions: ybbor
Reactions: wreighven and ybbor
I'm not sure when it was but Tesla no longer includes a NEMA 14-50 adapter with their vehicles and it must now be purchased as an additional item. They instead only give your the NEMA 5-15 with the Mobile Connector. They do still give you the J1772 to Tesla adapter but that is of no help at RV parks.

Edit: Looks like they stopped including the 14-50 about 14 months ago according to the comments on this article.
Yup; had to buy the NEMA 14-50 separately with my March 2020 LR+ X...

• Informative
Reactions: ybbor
This thread should be pinned and read by all new Tesla owners. We have had dozens of posts here over the years disparaging the need to recharge until nearly empty. This thread provides the counter argument. I have some sympathy for anyone who skipped Gila Bend and got stuck but if any of these people skipped nearby Yuma, that seems foolish.

This thread should be pinned and read by all new Tesla owners. We have had dozens of posts here over the years disparaging the need to recharge until nearly empty. This thread provides the counter argument. I have some sympathy for anyone who skipped Gila Bend and got stuck but if any of these people skipped nearby Yuma, that seems foolish.

I can see wanting to skip the Yuma chargers as they are 120kW shared chargers vs. v3 250kW unshared at Tacna. Plus there are more convenient restrooms and snacks at Tacna. Yuma is a tad more out of the way and has no amenities.

For anyone wondering, the car still says reduced service at Tacna. I only tried one stall but it worked great and I did get full capacity out of it. I bet they just had a transformer issue but I think a few of the stalls are working. They aren’t numbered but I used the stall that was all the way to the right when looking in (out of the bay of 6). Hopefully it’s back up fully soon.

Attachments

• 02F2A9D6-0C50-422F-B5F7-A42BE2238D81.jpeg
    02F2A9D6-0C50-422F-B5F7-A42BE2238D81.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 81