Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tacna, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup; had to buy the NEMA 14-50 separately with my March 2020 LR+ X...
My 2019 100D MX came with a NEMA 14-50 adapter last June. I always carry it along with 120v mobile charger and a TT-30 adapter from EVSE adapters as their Gen 2 charging adapters automatically set the correct charging current. Either adapter covers most campgrounds! Over-prepared/cautious usually but 300 miles from home 2 days ago we changed plans and decided to go to a SC 60 miles farther. Didn't know storms took out the power where the SC was as no outage info on NAV; fortunately I was able to make it to the next one with about 20 miles to spare. Having solar and PWs and living where power is very reliable, I didn't even think of a power outage. Your cables are only as good as what they can attach to!

Reactions: sdoorex
Used this supercharger 9/1/2020 Since I had a 70% charge on battery did not attain much in the way of additional speed to charge. Easy off and on interstate 8. Clean bathrooms and large convenience store with attached subway. From Phoenix to San Diego Yuma is the most sensible stop but this beats the heck out of Yuma for amenities and easy in and out.

In an odd way, I feel nostalgic for Yuma SC. It was not ideal, but it was there for us in the early days. I agree with you on Tacna, it is making Yuma obsolete.
The supercharger plug got stuck in my chargeport in Yuma so I won't miss that! But sure, I will still stop in from time to time. Did enjoy the walk through old town Yuma after dark. Was quite surreal with no one around, about 100F, and the buildings being ~100 years old.

Reactions: tmoz
October 3rd. All chargers are offline yet the app gives no indication. We arrived at 7% charge remaining. Several other cars here too. One of them got through to customer service and were told it is a known problem and they are working on it. It would have been very nice 30 minutes ago when we drove by Yuma. Not happy right now. Charging at the nearby mobile home park to get enough to return to Yuma. $10 to charge.tbis has probably added 3 hours to our drive.

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66 and PLUS EV
October 3rd. All chargers are offline yet the app gives no indication. We arrived at 7% charge remaining. Several other cars here too. One of them got through to customer service and were told it is a known problem and they are working on it. It would have been very nice 30 minutes ago when we drove by Yuma. Not happy right now. Charging at the nearby mobile home park to get enough to return to Yuma. $10 to charge.tbis has probably added 3 hours to our drive.
Ugh. Sorry to hear this.
This is always my biggest concern when going across the Interstates in CO, NM, and AZ since many of the chargers are not close enough together to be able to easily skip a charger in situations like this. But, Tesla really needs to make sure that the Nav system is always up to date!
Good luck!

October 3rd. All chargers are offline yet the app gives no indication. We arrived at 7% charge remaining. Several other cars here too. One of them got through to customer service and were told it is a known problem and they are working on it. It would have been very nice 30 minutes ago when we drove by Yuma. Not happy right now. Charging at the nearby mobile home park to get enough to return to Yuma. $10 to charge. This has probably added 3 hours to our drive.

UPDATE: The mobile home park took 92 minutes to add 34 miles! Due to the temperature, the charging rate kept cutting from 32 amps to 16 amps. 2 hours and 42 minutes later (drive & mobile home park charging time), we made it to Yuma where 2 of the 8 stalls were broken. We finally found one which got up to 67KW. It wasn't paired with anyone else and I arrived at 1% SOC so it should have been a lot better. We charged for 90 minutes (thank you Netflix) and made it to Gila Bend. Between Yuma and Gila Bend, we were able to speak with 4 other owners who had been stranded in Tacna. 3 of the 4 were towed to Gila Bend so we should have just called Support in the first place and demanded a tow to Gila Bend (would have saved us miles and several hours). The tow truck driver in Gila Bend said it was his 5th Tesla tow of the day. One thing I learned is different software versions had different mapping. My map still showed Tacna as open. Other drivers in Gila Bend had an out of service symbol (circle with a line through it) on their maps. Total detour time including additional charging ended up being over 4 hours. My family told me we won't road trip in the Tesla anymore. :(

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV and JBT66
UPDATE: The mobile home park took 92 minutes to add 34 miles! Due to the temperature, the charging rate kept cutting from 32 amps to 16 amps. 2 hours and 42 minutes later (drive & mobile home park charging time), we made it to Yuma where 2 of the 8 stalls were broken. We finally found one which got up to 67KW. It wasn't paired with anyone else and I arrived at 1% SOC so it should have been a lot better. We charged for 90 minutes (thank you Netflix) and made it to Gila Bend. Between Yuma and Gila Bend, we were able to speak with 4 other owners who had been stranded in Tacna. 3 of the 4 were towed to Gila Bend so we should have just called Support in the first place and demanded a tow to Gila Bend (would have saved us miles and several hours). The tow truck driver in Gila Bend said it was his 5th Tesla tow of the day. One thing I learned is different software versions had different mapping. My map still showed Tacna as open. Other drivers in Gila Bend had an out of service symbol (circle with a line through it) on their maps. Total detour time including additional charging ended up being over 4 hours. My family told me we won't road trip in the Tesla anymore. :(
That is troubling, but good to know. Thanks for the info.

This is yet another reason for Tesla to offer a CCS adapter for North America. Being stranded in the middle of nowhere due to an offline charger does not help promote the adoption of EVs. With Electrify America building out more and more, having an alternate high speed charging option (even an expensive one) would really help improve confidence in road tripping a Tesla (mostly an issue for family members, if you know what I mean).
As an alternative, if Tesla would drop the price of the CHAdeMO adapter to about $50, or at least less than a $100, that would help too.

Reactions: mpmeyer