Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Taree, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is proposing a 6-bay supercharger site in Taree. They've been negotiating with council for a location.

News story (paywalled for me): MidCoast Council considers Tesla "supercharger station" for Taree

It will be discussed at council meeting today: https://www.midcoast.nsw.gov.au/fil.../25-august-2021-ordinary-meeting-agenda-i.pdf

Council planning offers have recommended support and have offered two possible locations.

(I've added to supercharge.info with the first location - pin can be moved in the future if needed)

Hard to believe Nabiac is such a hive of activity and congestion that parking spaces are at such a premium they'll choose them over a charger that will increase passing trade. The Manhattan of the Manning Valley, who knew?

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq
If they end up at the South Taree interchange (where the Evie ones are) that's less than 90kms from the Cassegrain (Port Macquarie) Superchargers.
Good to see Tesla starting to work on density for the major highways.

I read the Council Minutes from that meeting and was amused to read this amendment motion:

An amendment was Moved Cr L Roberts/Seconded Cr T Fowler
That this matter be deferred for further information inclusive of whether an existing charging station exists in Taree.

Amused because it would seem L Roberts and T Fowler were unaware of Evie at the highway service centre, and because as we all know, once you have one charging station, you don’t need another 🙄

The amendment was lost and I have not found any further information to show a final decision has been made on the location or even any updates on deliberations on this matter.

Reactions: Chuq
From the council minutes:

>>The Tesla Supercharger system is used exclusively for Tesla vehicles. In July 2021, a statement from Tesla’s Elon Musk advised that the unique charging system will be opened to other electric vehicles later this year. It is unknown which markets would be first, but assurance was given that the system would open to all countries over time.<<

I wonder if the council has considered the necessity to have adequate space for cars to queue when EV numbers grow and allcomers can use superchargers?

C2E8FB82-1A8D-4A1B-9B6D-7B9CD7901038.jpeg

Location is different to last information from council and NSW grant reveal but is still council location.

That’s next to Johnny Martin oval in Wynter St, 1 block down from Manning Mall and 2 blocks down from Taree Central Shopping Centre. Which makes it rather less convenient, particularly if you were charging while shopping and were bringing a trolley full of stuff back to your car.

I wonder why this didn’t go in the Manning Mall carpark as originally proposed? It’s a big open carpark, plenty of space. I can’t imagine it would have been a power issue either. At first blush, it seems it would be harder to get power to this location than the original one.

Look, this is way better than nothing, but a little disappointing.

Reactions: Jules22
I think with all the corroborating evidence (NSW Govt funding, site size, etc.) this can be locked in as being a Tesla site.

I believe the grant address was previously just “Wynter St” (that’s what was listed in supercharge.info). Just checked the EVEnergi map and it says “46 Wynter St” (Manning Mall, the next block) - not sure when that changed - but it’s possible it was just the closest numbered address.

Reactions: B3AU and Jules22