Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tauranga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla were to bring the V3 Superchargers to NZ for the new locations then a Tesla would be able to charge faster on them than the Hyperchargers. I haven't seen why, but on third party chargers we're limited to a max of 200kW however Model 3 and new Raven S & X cars can get 250kW on a V3 Supercharger.

However, since Tesla NZ/AU seems to have no intention of bringing V3 to NZ (all planned Superchargers, such as this Tauranga site are planned to be V2) it would be nice if they could remove that third party limitation.

If Tesla were to bring the V3 Superchargers to NZ for the new locations then a Tesla would be able to charge faster on them than the Hyperchargers. I haven't seen why, but on third party chargers we're limited to a max of 200kW however Model 3 and new Raven S & X cars can get 250kW on a V3 Supercharger.

However, since Tesla NZ/AU seems to have no intention of bringing V3 to NZ (all planned Superchargers, such as this Tauranga site are planned to be V2) it would be nice if they could remove that third party limitation.
Well that's disappointing news. if that is the case I wonder if we are going ending up with old supercharges that are being replaced with V3 from other electrically compatible countries, or old stock

The supercharger network is close to irrelevant in NZ, imo. Completely put to shame by chargenet. I reckon we've used chargenet 10 times as often as superchargers, which is all down to locations (not preference).
The Taupo, Hamilton and Palmerston North superchargers are pretty key but I agree the others, in particular the SI sites are not any more useful than ChargeNet.

I'm not sure I'd go that far about the South Island, at least with a Long Range Model 3. Last September I did a circular road trip from Christchurch, Queenstown, Invercargill, Dunedin and back to Christchurch. On the way to Queenstown I did it only with Superchargers (short stop in Timaru and another short stop in Omarama). Since I had a lot of Supercharger credit I decided not to pay the premium for a hotel with a Destination Charger and instead used the Queenstown Supercharger as required. For Invercargill and Dunedin I stayed in places with a Destination Charger and then on the way home from Dunedin it was another stop at Timaru. So the only DC chargers that I used were Superchargers.

Ideally, the South Island needs Superchargers in Dunedin, Kaikoura and Nelson. Invercargill, Greymouth, Arthurs Pass & Springs Junction would be nice to have.