Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA - Outlets at Tejon Pkwy (LIVE 1 Sep 2021, 76 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tejon Supercharger is often full and you have to share the 150 kW chargers.

Another option is to try to charge earlier to skip Tejon and to drive futher down to stop at the 250 kW Santa Clarita Supercharger.

Looking at A Better Route Planner, there is an additional 51 miles from Tejon and a 2021 Model 3 LR 18" consumption would be about 19%.

For the same reason I avoid the Cabazon chargers when traveling with my wife. A quick stop to top off can end up costing me hours of my time and hundreds of dollars. Tejon outlets are dangerous lol

My first Supercharging session ever: Vacaville, CA. Charging costs: $0. Receipts from Vacaville Premium Outlets stores: $700. It's shrewd on the part of these outlet malls to host Superchargers. I'm sure the Outlets at Tejon will do a brisk business.

Bruce.

Another option is to try to charge earlier to skip Tejon and to drive futher down to stop at the 250 kW Santa Clarita Supercharger.

Looking at A Better Route Planner, there is an additional 51 miles from Tejon and a 2021 Model 3 LR 18" consumption would be about 19%.
Anybody have a referral code for ABRP real quick?

in my experience Tejon is closer to “almost never” full than “often full”. That’s normal daytime hours, often non holiday weekends, almost always unpaired, multiple times a year. Tejon is the poster child for reports of clogged superchargers at peak travel times, but at peak travel times on heavily traveled roads all chargers are going to be congested.

Santa Clarita also only has (at my last check) 8 250kw pedestals and in my experience quite a heavy local charging community, so getting a 250kw plug isn’t a certainty. It’s also a good 15 min or more total detour from/to the 5 which, if one is going there specifically to minimize trip time, is a bit counterproductive.

in my experience Tejon is closer to “almost never” full than “often full”. That’s normal daytime hours, often non holiday weekends, almost always unpaired, multiple times a year. Tejon is the poster child for reports of clogged superchargers at peak travel times, but at peak travel times on heavily traveled roads all chargers are going to be congested.

Santa Clarita also only has (at my last check) 8 250kw pedestals and in my experience quite a heavy local charging community, so getting a 250kw plug isn’t a certainty. It’s also a good 15 min or more total detour from/to the 5 which, if one is going there specifically to minimize trip time, is a bit counterproductive.

I second that especially the fact that it is far from the highway no really a traveling Supercharger location really for the locals in the area.

I disagree, there were alot of congested Superchargers the past two years during peak times but thanks to all the new superchargers you didn't see any of that this year, so clearly it helped alot. The only video of a supercharger that had a line was tejon with a wait of 20 cars deep! That's why they had to open the copus rd supercharger before 4th of july, which again helped alot. Matter fact for the last two weeks(not just 4th of july weekend) both those superchargers were almost full. I think this new supercharger would be much needed(especially in 1 or 2 years when you're gonna have way more teslas on the road).

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
The other issue to consider with the I-5 corridor is that there is currently an imbalance in Supercharger capacity when you compare Gustine thru Kettleman versus Buttonwillow thru Wheeler Ridge. Given the expansion at Harris Ranch, the southern end clearly needed a lot more capacity to avoid being an even more obvious bottleneck. This Wheeler Ridge site will bring a much better throughput balance to the I-5 corridor in addition to serving people that use CA-99.

This Wheeler Ridge site will bring a much better throughput balance to the I-5 corridor in addition to serving people that use CA-99.
Absolutely. Wheeler Ridge is desperately needed - Tejon Ranch is so constantly heavily used, there are always a couple posts non-functional. Someone reported 5 posts down the other day there, and that's after Copus Rd!

All that said, there are still a few gaps along the Sierras that are definitely still needed after Wheeler Ridge that would help this area out a lot:
Bakersfield along CA99 (best also close to CA58)
Porterville would be useful

I disagree, there were alot of congested Superchargers the past two years during peak times but thanks to all the new superchargers you didn't see any of that this year, so clearly it helped alot. The only video of a supercharger that had a line was tejon with a wait of 20 cars deep! That's why they had to open the copus rd supercharger before 4th of july, which again helped alot. Matter fact for the last two weeks(not just 4th of july weekend) both those superchargers were almost full. I think this new supercharger would be much needed(especially in 1 or 2 years when you're gonna have way more teslas on the road).
The issue that they were getting at, is that superchargers need to be built to address the peak times, and not the average times. Tejon may be empty a lot of the time, but is slammed at others. A site could have 4 stalls or 50. If there is never ever a wait at a 4-stall site, it can be left alone. If a 50 stall site is empty 90% of the time, but has an hour wait every Sunday, expansion is needed, either there or nearby. In this case, the orginal Tejon is maxed out, so not one, but two locations added, and done so quickly: Copus Rd and this pending site.

Reactions: newjacka
The issue that they were getting at, is that superchargers need to be built to address the peak times, and not the average times. Tejon may be empty a lot of the time, but is slammed at others. A site could have 4 stalls or 50. If there is never ever a wait at a 4-stall site, it can be left alone. If a 50 stall site is empty 90% of the time, but has an hour wait every Sunday, expansion is needed, either there or nearby. In this case, the orginal Tejon is maxed out, so not one, but two locations added, and done so quickly: Copus Rd and this pending site.
Yup. That's basically the planning philosophy for the electric grid in general, especially the distribution system: you always build out for the peak even if the peak only happens 2 or 3 months out of the year.

Reactions: newjacka
Absolutely. Wheeler Ridge is desperately needed - Tejon Ranch is so constantly heavily used, there are always a couple posts non-functional. Someone reported 5 posts down the other day there, and that's after Copus Rd!

All that said, there are still a few gaps along the Sierras that are definitely still needed after Wheeler Ridge that would help this area out a lot:
Bakersfield along CA99 (best also close to CA58)
Porterville would be useful
IMHO, you'd think with the States and Federal passion to go green, they would serve up National and State Parks for superchargers. I can only imagine the bureaucracy. I want to believe that Elon has a large group of people pushing buttons on hundreds of location in the US. Copus went up so fast in the middle of nowhere, Tesla is ready to build where there is little government hurdles. #justsayin

IMHO, you'd think with the States and Federal passion to go green, they would serve up National and State Parks for superchargers. I can only imagine the bureaucracy. I want to believe that Elon has a large group of people pushing buttons on hundreds of location in the US. Copus went up so fast in the middle of nowhere, Tesla is ready to build where there is little government hurdles. #justsayin

Just one comment about that, sure the construction and energization seems to have been quick but we don't know how long the planning and permitting took on this project it could have been in the works with PGE for quite some time.

I grew up in Bakersfield, Lancaster and (Rancho) Victorville. I live in DFW know for last 30 years. I think I wouldn't be surprised if there are now people that commute to at least the San Fernandez Valley b/c of housing among other things. So I hope this SuC helps those folks.