Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2) the handicap marked stall is confounding - nobody knows what to do with it. Watched two different people wait for another empty stall when the only one left was the handicap spot. The marking is confusing and I imagine people are terrified of getting a ticket.

View attachment 364768
The stall with the ISA (blue wheelchair symbol) is restricted to use for charging only by those with disabled placards or plates. And yes, someone without either of those could be ticketed for using it. Also, someone with the placards/plates but not charging in it could be ticketed/towed. It's not a disabled access parking stall. I'm not sure what the small blue sign with text says, but I would guess it's saying something like that particular stall should also be left for disabled access if at all possible. i.e. The one with the small blue sign is technically open to everyone but should only be taken by someone without placards/plates if it is the only one not in use. This would be sort of like the time-limited general parking signs that Tesla uses at superchargers. Where non-charging cars are allowed to park in those particular stalls for up to a set time limit but as a matter of courtesy should avoid doing so unless there are no other parking options.

1) ICEing is going to be a constant problem here, particularly over busy weekends and holidays when the chargers are in highest demand. There is not enough general parking here and with the signs allowing it, certain people (that seem to always be in full size trucks) have no reservations about taking a spot.
If the road were simply re-striped to remove the center turn lane and allow parking on the side of the road, that would open up a LOT more parking. At the very least it should provide enough room to open up parking on the same side of the street as the Supercharger and most of the food joints.

??

upload_2019-1-17_12-15-35.png

Reactions: rrosenbl
I don’t know where you are located in California, but Tejon is a rather remote location and it doesn’t surprise me that only 4 stalls were shown as in use when you checked in the car nav. Usage at a Supercharger like Tejon is going to be sporadic, and I5 south of Sacramento and north of LA now has a huge number of Supercharger stalls available: well over 100 I think.

That's partly true, but misses a few key points that make TR crowded. In 2014, when an 85 was the largest battery, and Harris Ranch and Tejon Ranch had no alternatives on I5, People had to stop at HR on the way from the Bay Area, because TR was about 2/3 of the way to LA, meaning too far for the first charge. HR was too far from LA to get there after a 100% charge. And TR had six slots, and a crowd problem. TR was also a spot where two routes merged, so it wasn't just I5 traffic. That pretty much meant that anybody who took the trip used both.

That should all be in the past, and if I go from the Bay Area to LA, I pass about 13 stations these days. But the trip planner is likely to suggest HR and TR anyway. Given that there's no way of adding a charging stop to a planned route, or specifying that one is a long stop (i.e. a meal stop so a person should either charge less at other stops since the car will be there anyway) it means that people will keep getting routed to those two.

For many people, a trip like that is quite rare, and it's not as if they'd learn from experience if they go to Disneyland this year and go to someplace completely different for vacation the next five years on an annual road trip. So it's fair to say that many people will stop there because Tesla tells them to stop there, and they have no reason to think that they shouldn't.

That's especially true if they want to stop at Yogurtland for dessert, even though it's been gone for years, because Tesla still has it on their Web page. I've told them a few times. Maybe if everybody else sends them an email, they'd get to it, but the only people who are affected are the ones who don't go there regularly.

It's not Yogurtland that's the problem, but it stands as a symbol of Tesla being out of date with respect to route planning.

I saw something similar once at a ChargePoint Level 2 EVSE near where I live. This is at the end of a spur off a bike path, at a facility that's also an under-used highway rest stop, with a Rhode Island highway patrol office. There are two spots for EV parking, and the next two or three spots are reserved for the highway patrol. The highway patrol vehicle was parked one spot over from where it should have been, in one of the EV spots. I'm inclined to think it was an innocent mistake. I've only seen this once at that location; most of the time, there's no police vehicle there or it's parked in the correct spot.