Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably a little off the topic being discussed here but it was suggested that this might be the best location to place this post.

If you are traveling Northbound on California Interstate I-5 and plan to use the Tejon Ranch Tesla Supercharger, be on the lookout as soon as you begin to leave the freeway at Exit 219 B (Laval Road West). There is a deep pothole which I did not see that immediately on hitting, flattened my right rear tire. I drove slowly to the supercharger where there was another car also with a flat tire that had hit the same pothole. On closer inspection, my front right tire was also severely damaged showing a large sidewall bubble. After being transported to a tire store in Bakersfield, I was able to resume my travel to Oregon four hours later with two tires replaced. I have notified CalTrans and would encourage others who have had a similar unfortunate experience to do so. Hopefully it has been or will soon be fixed. My accident was on October 24, 2019.

This is probably a little off the topic being discussed here but it was suggested that this might be the best location to place this post.

If you are traveling Northbound on California Interstate I-5 and plan to use the Tejon Ranch Tesla Supercharger, be on the lookout as soon as you begin to leave the freeway at Exit 219 B (Laval Road West). There is a deep pothole which I did not see that immediately on hitting, flattened my right rear tire. I drove slowly to the supercharger where there was another car also with a flat tire that had hit the same pothole. On closer inspection, my front right tire was also severely damaged showing a large sidewall bubble. After being transported to a tire store in Bakersfield, I was able to resume my travel to Oregon four hours later with two tires replaced. I have notified CalTrans and would encourage others who have had a similar unfortunate experience to do so. Hopefully it has been or will soon be fixed. My accident was on October 24, 2019.
File a claim with CalTrans. Might be able to get the money for the tires

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Have no fear for the holiday crowd: 2 battery powered stations are being prepared for the occasion. Each has 3 bays so that's 6 additional bays total:

743XbuA.jpg

The question is, how are these recharged? Can they tap the existing utility transformer for the permanent Superchargers to trickle charge the battery pack? Or do they have to drive the whole trailer away to recharge? I heard that the 3MWh trailers at SLO and Fresno are driven back to Fremont to recharge. That seems like a significant carbon and time penalty.

Only 2 of the plugs will be active so this looks like 4 temporary stalls being added.

I assume the 2 active is because of the short cables so for 2 posts on the same side, the cable can only reach 1 car at a time and can accommodate either head-in or back-in orientation.

However, the cables are quite long here (maybe about 15 to 25 feet) so 2 cars can compete on the same side and the cable can still reach them.

For the 10-bay portable Urban Supercharger in Fresno: 4 on 1 side, 4 on the other side and 2 at the end and every single one of them was usable for a total of 10 posts with none to waste as shown on the Fresno's post:

8d4630c0-74f9-4354-a071-6fa906563374-jpeg.491130

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Memorial weekend is coming up so try to skip this charger if you can. I could have skipped it by going to a Buttonwillow charger instead. This place had 15 cars in line this weekend. I got lucky and arrived with just a couple of cars ahead of me, but lines formed up quickly.

There was also a pattern where no one would take the 1 open charger. There were 2 chargers down but 3 stalls. When I left, there were 4 chargers down, but 5 stalls so no one was taking the working stalls. People lose count who is leaving when 3 or more cars leave because some people in line can't see who left.

Also, Tesla should address this in public areas because people were laughing at the Tesla line in Chipotle.

20210523_150656-01.jpeg

Memorial weekend is coming up so try to skip this charger if you can. I could have skipped it by going to a Buttonwillow charger instead. This place had 15 cars in line this weekend. I got lucky and arrived with just a couple of cars ahead of me, but lines formed up quickly.

There was also a pattern where no one would take the 1 open charger. There were 2 chargers down but 3 stalls. When I left, there were 4 chargers down, but 5 stalls so no one was taking the working stalls. People lose count who is leaving when 3 or more cars leave because some people in line can't see who left.

Also, Tesla should address this in public areas because people were laughing at the Tesla line in Chipotle.

View attachment 665468
Wow, that's nuts, not even a particularly busy weekend. Tesla needs to figure out how to get this up to 40-50 stalls to handle busy holiday traffic for the short-term and at the very least, keep all stalls running at full speed.

There's no more room in the lot that they're currently in, so maybe either in the Denny's lot next to the Chargepoint chargers, or maybe across the freeway.

There isn't much help for Tejon Ranch on the Find Us page except possibly Bakersfield, and that's not coming until 2022. Expect long lines here every weekend and crazy lines during holidays.

The southern part of the valley is a major bottleneck for supercharging ranging from nothing on the 99 to woefully under capable Tejon, Bakersfield (I-5), and Buttonwillow. There are several site options they could pursue but not sure if behind the scenes there is a problem that is preventing from pursuing either a 20-28 stall V3 site on the NB side of Tejon or a 20-28 stall V3 site on the 99 in Bakersfield proper with the Target at the 99/58 interchange being ideal there. Either one of those locations would do wonders to relieve the hot mess that the south valley is for supercharging but there’s nothing on the horizon other than the vague and aspirational “coming in 2022.”

The 5 and 99 dumps all the travelers into Tejon Ranch plus LA drivers going up north. This place is a bottleneck for sure.. However it's a great location for food and convenience for easy on and off freeway.

The best plan to speed up travel is charge at Santa Clarita (out of the way) if going North and Buttonwillow going South. Both Superchargers at Buttonwillow had short waits. Hope some can chime in with their experience there.

Looking at previous posts, it looked like Tesla brought in trailer chargers here. I'm not sure if they were still there since I just learned about them.

Safe travel and good luck this weekend if you're traveling.

24 stalls and 15 people waiting. Incredible. No surprises there, given the bottleneck location. I would certainly do whatever necessary to avoid this location this coming weekend if possible, using Santa Clarita and points north of Tejon. I really hope Tesla moves their mobile station back here now.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia