Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone please chime in. Confirm that Tejon is operational. Having weird Nav issues and wondering whether chargers are offline?

Help: Trip planner woes
Had a buddy who just took delivery of his 90D last week, drive from Napa to OC. His first road trip, and he had the exact same thing happen to him and he was freaked out. I told him to not worry, and that it would resolve itself once he departed Tejon, which is exactly what happened.

Tesla should be ashamed of themelves for not getting this resolved sooner. Over 6 months. Especially ironic that this update claimed "New Software Update: Trip Planner & Range Assurance expand Model S intelligence to give drivers peace of mind and eliminate range anxiety." Right. What a joke.

Last edited:
All six stations at Tejon were operational on Saturday.

hqVuSdJ.jpg

Tejon is an early supercharger and has connectors that are oriented perpendicular rather than parallel to the side of your car. 2A's pylon has a broken retainer, and when I went to unhook it, the connector fell out of the pylon directly toward the car. Fortunately I was fast enough to grab the handle before it struck the paint, but I can easily see this causing a dent or bad scratch if you aren't careful. It looks like someone else tried to secure the connector with blue twine, which has since slipped down to the bottom of the pylon and isn't doing much good any more:

2GbM0HU.jpg

Agreed and I sent a note to the [email protected] email...I think that's the right one...

Got a reply and they are fixing it. Maybe someone could check in when they stop there so we know it is fixed?

In the future, the Supercharger team suggests a call to their hotline # that is posted at the Superchargers. They said to just call them and they'll create a ticket to fix it, but I'm hoping the work is already done by now...

Got a reply and they are fixing it. Maybe someone could check in when they stop there so we know it is fixed?

In the future, the Supercharger team suggests a call to their hotline # that is posted at the Superchargers. They said to just call them and they'll create a ticket to fix it, but I'm hoping the work is already done by now...
Thanks for doing that and being part of the solution instead of just pointing at it like I did. It will be interesting to see if the underlying issue can be solved (perhaps counterbalancing the weight of the connector and cable with a spring-loaded cord so it doesn't just fall out of the pylon), or if they only replace the broken plastic piece.

Another issue I've noticed with the pylons at Tejon Ranch: the plastic holder for the connector forms a horizontal shelf that collects litter. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the modern Tesla pylon design used at other superchargers.

I've never had to wait at Tejon either, but the proof is in the photo pudding.

I think having more power delivered to places on the I-5 is difficult. Each 10-stall station needs just under 1MW of energy, and that's on-demand surge. The distribution grid can handle this in densely populated areas because the circuits already have so much load on them. Out on I-5, you just don't have that much load so to add 1MW facilities would be an anomaly.

No, you can't just tap that huge 500kV line you see off to the side of the road. :)

- K

I've never had to wait at Tejon either, but the proof is in the photo pudding.

I think having more power delivered to places on the I-5 is difficult. Each 10-stall station needs just under 1MW of energy, and that's on-demand surge. The distribution grid can handle this in densely populated areas because the circuits already have so much load on them. Out on I-5, you just don't have that much load so to add 1MW facilities would be an anomaly.

No, you can't just tap that huge 500kV line you see off to the side of the road. :)

- K
I really hope they install an SC near the In N Out, the chipotle is nice but can be quite a wait.

something in the 12-16 stall range :)

I am looking forward to the Buttonwillow Supercharger coming online next year.
I've visited Tejon many times and never had to wait. But obviously sometimes it gets busy.
Each time I've encountered a line at Tejon, it's been on Sunday afternoon. That seems to be prime time for lots of folks heading home after a travel weekend. Wish there was a way to see a utilization bar graph of each supercharger over time (say, the last 7 days) to get a better idea of what times to avoid.

The Subway location in Buttonwillow is 40 miles north of Tejon on I-5. Last time I arrived at Tejon after driving through L.A., I had approximately 40 miles of range left. I had charged to 90% at Fountain Valley, so I'll probably need to make sure I have 100% charge if I want to reach Buttonwillow instead of Tejon.

I was planning to stop at Tejon on Sunday at around 1:30pm. But we stayed at Culver City way longer than expected because my daughter was fussy about eating. The longer stay meant I skipped Tejon, which now looks like a great thing. But man, that lightning/hail storm that afternoon was crazy. I don't think I have any dents.

The Subway location in Buttonwillow is 40 miles north of Tejon on I-5. Last time I arrived at Tejon after driving through L.A., I had approximately 40 miles of range left. I had charged to 90% at Fountain Valley, so I'll probably need to make sure I have 100% charge if I want to reach Buttonwillow instead of Tejon.
If you can make it to Culver City instead of fountain valley, it's only a 127 mile drive to buttonwillow.
Edit: Or a 200 mile drive to Harris Ranch, perfect for the 90kwh battery club

According to EVtripplanner (with my standard 1.17 speed adjustment, which is about 85MPH on I-5), Buttonwillow is 54RM from Tejon Ranch. I'll play it by ear as we get close to Tejon. If we have at least 80miles range, I'll skip it and continue on to Buttonwillow. I don't like to take the battery much below 30RM, unless it's an emergency.

Buttonwillow is just about do able from Del Mar, in a 90D with a 100% starting charge driving at a realistic speed. With moderate traffic or just slowing down a little (speed factor 1.1 on EVtripplanner), I should arrive with close to 30 RM to spare.

Yesterday I arrived at Tejon at around 10 a.m. heading northbound. There were no other cars there, so Monday mornings would appear to be a pretty safe time to avoid waiting.

The headwinds were ferocious yesterday, like nothing I had driven in with either of my MS. We were driving the MS85 with 19s, and that was a good thing since any 60 would have had a difficult time driving northbound in yesterday's winds without getting a 100% charge at every single Supercharger. We left Tejon with 234 rated miles, and arrived at HR with 30. 204 rated miles to go 119 miles. I was averaging 75-80 mph during this leg with a fully loaded car. The wind really is a wild card that must be factored in to every trip.

Last edited:
Yesterday I arrived at Tejon at around 10 a.m. heading northbound. There were no other cars there, so Monday mornings would appear to be a pretty safe time to avoid waiting.

The headwinds were ferocious yesterday, like nothing I had driven in with either of my MS. We were driving the MS85 with 19s, and that was a good thing since any 60 would have had a difficult time driving northbound in yesterday's winds without getting a 100% charge at every single Supercharger. We left Tejon with 234 rated miles, and arrived at HR with 30. 204 rated miles to go 119 miles. I was averaging 75-80 mph during this leg with a fully loaded car. The wind really is a wild card that must be factored in to every trip.

Corollary: if in doubt slow down in a headwind. If you had 20mph winds that'd have been like driving 95-100 mph. And it can be wrse than that because it messes with the aerodynamics so much.