Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a long time since I visited Tejon Ranch. I got there early in the morning. It was desolate.

This place looked so shiny and futuristic when it opened up. The day I visited, it looked shabby, like an abandoned 50s drive-in burger-joint. Everything looked old and decrepit.

But, what do you know, I noticed the Jehovah's Witnesses were littering like usual. Every charger had one of their WATCHTOWER magazines and other flyers stuffed into the charge cable cubby holes. Some were on the ground too. I did the only sensible thing: collected them all and threw them in the trash.

tejon-1.png

Geez, how long has it been since this damage happened?
tejon-2.png

It woulnd't be Tejon without the JW presence. Creepy:
tejon-3.png

tejon-4.png

Reactions: ohmman
Corollary: if in doubt slow down in a headwind. If you had 20mph winds that'd have been like driving 95-100 mph. And it can be wrse than that because it messes with the aerodynamics so much.

Yes, of course, and I've done that in rare instances to give myself a buffer. If I had a 60, I no doubt would have needed to slow down drastically to make it in this extreme wind, but doing 55 mph (or slower) on I-5 in the Central Valley of CA is, most would say, dangerous. The speed limit is 70 mph, but this is observed by very few cars in clear weather. Even trucks drive faster than 55. We have a 60 and an 85, and on longer road trips the 85 is definitely helpful and in this situation (albeit quite unusual with winds we might see one day a year) almost essential.

We stopped at Tejon ranch today around 2:30 pm and all the stalls were full with one person waiting in front of us. But luckily we only had to wait about five minutes for two cars to leave and a spot to open up for us. We were charging at 84 amps (perhaps two of the 12 individual chargers in the stack?) until the cars at both 1a and 1b left and I moved over to 1a. Then I got full power (over 200 amps which seemed about right for our state of charge). A few minutes later two more cars left and four of the six stalls were empty. It was kind of amazing how quickly it can go from everything full with two people waiting to the majority of the stalls being empty.

Busy here yesterday (day after Christmas)! When I arrived at around 3pm I was #8 in line waiting. The line grew to 14 (!!) in the next 30 min or so. I was up to start charging after about 1hr 10min. We really need Buttonwillow...

Pic shows the waiting line. Tesla's as far as the eye can see...
image.jpeg

Busy here yesterday (day after Christmas)! When I arrived at around 3pm I was #8 in line waiting. The line grew to 14 (!!) in the next 30 min or so. I was up to start charging after about 1hr 10min. We really need Buttonwillow...

Pic shows the waiting line. Tesla's as far as the eye can see...

In queueing theory, when the arrival rate exceeds the service rate, the queue grows without bound. Looks like Tejon Ranch reached that situation for a while...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I disagree with the impacts of the fire. I spoke to about 18 people there and only 1 person was diverted because of the closure. While I like to believe this was a freak scenario, the last two times I've been at Tejon Pass there was a line, it was only 2 people long at the time, but it's only going to get worse and that's without any closures. With so many Model S and X in the area, it's inevitable that many will hit the same place at the same time. I do think the holiday played a major factor.

12/26 FIRE - Please see post 127. You'll see why there was so much extra use on I5 that day. Cheers.

11+ car wait at Tejon Ranch AVOID IF YOU CAN!!!! - Page 13

The last time I was there, there was a line, and after that there were many more reports of waits. But since then, Buttonwillow and Burbank have opened, which should make it easy to bypass. The lack of posts in this thread could mean that the problem went away, but it would be good to know if there are people who have been there recently and have seen lots of empty stalls, or whether people are skipping it completely.