Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had our first Tejon stop 6/2 about 10:30PM on the way home from Yosemite. 2 other cars were there. If I were traveling to/from the Bay Area or Central Coast I would definitely use Buttonwillow instead from all the stories I've read here. If it had been a weekend I might have gone for Buttonwillow even from Fresno.

Tejon is fixin' to get back-in chargers. Constriction has started. Doesn't seem like they're adding stalls--I only see conduit for 6 pedestals.

Trip planner says the charger is closed, but it's working as of 10pm Friday. Best guess is it's closed during daytime working hours.

Second best guess is that they're for going to swap the legacy 6 then drop in a few more pairs, though that seems less likely as you'd think they would put in new chargers before decommissioning the old ones...less gap in service that way.

Last edited:
Tejon is fixin' to get back-in chargers. Constriction has started. Doesn't seem like they're adding stalls--I only see conduit for 6 pedestals.

Trip planner says the charger is closed, but it's working as of 10pm Friday. Best guess is it's closed during daytime working hours.

Second best guess is that they're for going to swap the legacy 6 then drop in a few more pairs, though that seems less likely as you'd think they would put in new chargers before decommissioning the old ones...less gap in service that way.
Are they just replacing the current 6 stalls or adding 6 more to make it a total of 12?

I'll be passing by there in 2 weeks and can snap a few photos, unless someone does it before me.

The in-car nav says this location has "reduced service" right now. I'm not sure if due to heat, anyone else know?

I've had bad luck charging our brand new X75D at Harris Ranch and currently Buttonwillow - getting 30-40 kW max even at 20-30% SoC. Not sure if it's the 105+ heat or something wrong w this cars supercharger capability.

This will probably be my most used location when I get my S next month or so. I'll be driving from Riverside county in a 60kw so I'll really be counting on it.

Not encouraging after reading this thread.

I also spoke with a tesla rep/model s owner in Costa Mesa and she said people parking heir cars for extended periods of time is still a common issue. She said sometimes there is a tesla valet there to help coordinate.

With Tejon being partially or fully offline, has anyone done Culver City ---> Harris Ranch non stop?

My P90D charges to 260 miles, google maps shows distance of 199 miles

I'm going to Santa Monica next weekend, I'll range charge at home (Sacramento) which will get me to Harris Ranch, from there I was hoping to make it to Culver City without stopping anywhere else

I could stop at buttonwillow for a peace of mind charge. Which is probably what I would do considering the 4K ft hill

My apologies for going off topic!

I will stop by Tejon Ranch for a few photos of the progress

Looks like all stalls are up and running. One drive in, other 5 back in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 103
That's interesting. I wonder why the pedestal on the far left was kept in the same position as the old pedestals, but the other 5 were changed?
Since 3 of the old pedestals are also supporting a structural column right in the middle, it was clear they couldn't accommodate a new-style charger cabinet. That meant at least every other new pedestal would have to be located at the back. It was probably a lot simpler to run new lines across the dirt at the back, so they didn't have to rip up the blacktop.

Thanks Tuấn for the picture.

Head-in parking for Model X tow hitch does make sense.

I think back-in parking could reduce accidents when you are ready to leave due to better straight-forward visibility and ease to drive straight out.

The down side is: It might be more difficult to back-in to a precise position due to a very short cable.

I saw one driver who had problems of backing-in to the same Supercharger bay 3 times. Too bad that it was not equipped with Summoning/Autopilot. I then offered help and manually backing up the car into Supercharger bay for the driver.

Last edited: