Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You won't get 120kW unless your SOC (State of Charge) is low, around 10%. When you report a charging rate at a Supercharger, please also report your SOC at the same time.

People regularly post about the charge rate they are getting at a Supercharger but sometimes forget about how it is influenced by SOC and battery temperature.

It is fine to discuss charging rates at a particular Supercharger, but please do not start a general discussion about SOC and Supercharger charge rates. Thank you.
As I read his post, he was comparing similar charging conditions at Tejon Ranch, in which he used to get 120kW but now only gets 90kW. It would be interesting to know if the data points really did match up (again, at Tejon Ranch): not sharing a paired charger, similar outside temperature, arriving at a similar SOC, etc.

I just wanted to follow up with my post of reduction in charge rate back in May. Everything seems to be back to normal the last 5 times I charged at Tejon Ranch. I tested both the regular chargers and portable ones. Both were able to charge around 120kW.

I'm not sure what was going on, but the reduction in charge rate to 90kW seemed to be temporary.

I used Tejon on Thursday and this Sunday, and both times I tried to use the portable chargers first (based on reports of newer chargers providing better charge rates).
On Thursday, the portable was plenty fast. On Sunday, I was paired with another so had to go underneath the solar canopy (also paired, but in shade).

FYI/PSA: the last pair of portables was out of order yesterday. Tesla must be aware, as the count for used/available chargers was reliable in the nav system.

On the road trip home yesterday I stopped here. In car nav said it was full, which bore out to be true. Tesla had a nice lady there to manage the waitlist. Waited about 10 minutes at 1pm.

There was also a sign saying that Tejon is due for a 16 stall expansion in early 2018, which is great! That just about fills up the entirety of the little parking lot the superchargers are currently located in.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
On the road trip home yesterday I stopped here. In car nav said it was full, which bore out to be true. Tesla had a nice lady there to manage the waitlist. Waited about 10 minutes at 1pm.

There was also a sign saying that Tejon is due for a 16 stall expansion in early 2018, which is great! That just about fills up the entirety of the little parking lot the superchargers are currently located in.

Great news! Do you remember if the sign said 16 additional stalls or expand to 16 total?

I drove down the 5 on Tuesday—was that tejon was perpetually full and, as it typical, Bakersfield and buttonwillow were perpetually near empty.

I stopped at Bakersfield. :cool:

It was somewhat vague but I read it as 16 additional, and there is just enough space for 16 additional in that lot. I would go as big as possible with that location.

That location is a must to expand as much as possible. More like 40 stalls would be good. That is the first charging station going out of the Greater Los Angeles area. Which is a must stop for those coming in from InlandEmpire or the southern part of Orange County. Especially when you have a 75 or lower MS.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Wow, thanks for that update, I did not notice that sign when I was there on Nov 14. Maybe it wasn’t up then.
That location is a must to expand as much as possible. More like 40 stalls would be good. That is the first charging station going out of the Greater Los Angeles area. Which is a must stop for those coming in from InlandEmpire or the southern part of Orange County. Especially when you have a 75 or lower MS.
Once Santa Clarita is operation (not started construction yet though) that will take a lot of pressure off Tejon.

I hope the new stalls at Tejon will be covered with solar panels for shade.

IMG_0208[1].JPG

This sign is not conclusive.

Currently there are six permanent superchargers and two portable ones.

When Tesla adds these 16 new ones, will the portable superchargers be removed?

When Tesla adds these 16 new ones, will they replace the portable superchargers with two permanent ones?

Tejon Ranch could wind up with 22 SC slots if the portable ones are gone. Tejon Ranch could wind up with 24 if the temporary SC remain, or if Tesla simultaneously converts the portable SC to permanent.

View attachment 264599

When Tesla adds these 16 new ones, will they replace the portable superchargers with two permanent ones?

Tejon Ranch could wind up with 22 SC slots if the portable ones are gone. Tejon Ranch could wind up with 24 if the temporary SC remain, or if Tesla simultaneously converts the portable SC to permanent.

They generally remove the temporary ones after expansion. But I think one could also read the sign as saying there will be 16 stalls total after expansion.

View attachment 264599

They could also wind up with 16 total!

Yes, that would be what Tesla normally does.

Thanks for your report, good news! Though it is unclear to me if the message on the sign means that there will be 16 additional (new) stalls or if once the expansion is complete there will be 16 stalls in total (including the old stalls). My guess is the latter.

Thanks for your report, good news! Though it is unclear to me if the message on the sign means that there will be 16 additional (new) stalls or if once the expansion is complete there will be 16 stalls in total (including the old stalls). My guess is the latter.
My bet is it will be 16 stalls total, including the old stalls. As you mentioned earlier, a SC in Santa Clarita will take up some of Tejon's load.

Going south to L.A. via I-5, I always prefer to stop at Tejon instead of Buttonwillow or Bakersfield because I can reach it easily from Harris Ranch, and then can get enough extra range to make it to Orange County with enough left over for city driving. (For logistical reasons, I don't always get a chance to charge right away once I reach my destination.) Once Santa Clarita is online, I could easily imagine it pairing with Kettleman City as my preferred two stops on that route.

Upon further reflection, I think your conclusion is the correct one.

The English language can be tricky to communicate a clear and concise message. A teacher in high school once advised us to recast the sentence or phrase if there were ambiguity or vagueness so that there could be no mistake as to our meaning. It would have been much clearer if Tesla's sign read, "When complete, 16 Superchargers in total."

Maybe they don't teach good composition skills any more in school.