Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tejon Ranch, CA (expanded to 24 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried using evtripplanner.com ? straight miles is a terrible way to drive an ev as it doesn't take the factors you mention into account. evtripplanner will do that for you.

With Tejon being partially or fully offline, has anyone done Culver City ---> Harris Ranch non stop?

My P90D charges to 260 miles, google maps shows distance of 199 miles

I'm going to Santa Monica next weekend, I'll range charge at home (Sacramento) which will get me to Harris Ranch, from there I was hoping to make it to Culver City without stopping anywhere else

I could stop at buttonwillow for a peace of mind charge. Which is probably what I would do considering the 4K ft hill

My apologies for going off topic!

I will stop by Tejon Ranch for a few photos of the progress

Reactions: AMPd
Coming back from Bonnie's party early this AM, Tejon went down just after we passed Buttonwillow. We had to turn back, after calling Tesla to confirm there was a problem.
Looks like it's still down as of this evening?

TWWD8v9.jpg

...Is the consensus that Tejon is online or offline?...

"Reduced Service" does not mean no service but since you read

Coming back from Bonnie's party early this AM, Tejon went down just after we passed Buttonwillow. We had to turn back, after calling Tesla to confirm there was a problem.

It might be less of a hassle to go to a known working station such as Buttonwillow rather than to stop by Tejon to find out what "Reduced Service" really means.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm planning a SF -> LA trip on Thursday. Is the consensus that Tejon is online or offline? Should I attempt to stop at Buttonwillow instead?
What I would do is use Nav to enter Tejon as a destination, and if you get that "Supercharger Temporarily Closed" popup, call Tesla's roadside assistance number to confirm whether it's actually open. (The message "Supercharger Temporarily Closed" seems pretty clear by itself, but then the "Reduced Service" message below it makes the actual status less obvious.)

Reactions: chillaban
...(The message "Supercharger Temporarily Closed" seems pretty clear by itself, but then the "Reduced Service" message below it makes the actual status less obvious.)

When working with electricity, an electrician has an option to turn off the current for the whole site temporarily then turn it back on again. On and off all day depending on what stages of work.

An electrician might also has an option just to turn off certain bays and leave other bays on too.

So, all the descriptions above are all applicable: "temporarily, closed, reduced."

Thanks, guys, I think I'll just plan to hit up Buttonwillow and call up Tesla if I need to use Tejon.

(P.S. Yeah I do read, all 111 posts. It's the various mixed statements regarding down vs reduced services combined with the car's mixed messages that made me ask.)

Hmm, I'm planning a SF -> LA trip on Thursday. Is the consensus that Tejon is online or offline? Should I attempt to stop at Buttonwillow instead?
I made a similar trip this past weekend.

We didn't stop at Tejon on the way to LA. We charged fully in Buttonwillow which gave us enough range to get to Pasadena (our destination) and then to Burbank for the trip home.

On the way home to Santa Cruz Sunday we stopped in Tejon mostly to see what "reduced service" meant. We started charging and the charge rate was about half what we'd gotten in the other places we stopped. We needed food so we stayed long enough to eat. Then we traveled on to Buttonwillow for a fuller charge.

I did like the roof at Tejon. Will that be gone when the construction is done? With temperatures 105+ this past weekend the shade meant a cooler car than at the other chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
...the charge rate was about half what we'd gotten in the other places we stopped....

I am glad that you still got some service at least.

...I did like the roof at Tejon. Will that be gone when the construction is done...

I don't think so.

The site has battery storage to soak up any unused energy from solar panel and they work together to smooth out any sudden surge of current demand from those 6 charging bays as well as to sell back excess energy to the grid.

Last edited:
Just got here, no wait only another car here. Still one stall yet to be relocated. 216A sure feels nicer than the 95A rate I got in Burbank.

Hmm not for me. Started out at 116 kW. Quickly dropped to 58 kW. Was so fed up with this throttling nonsense that I called tech support. Guy said everything was normal and it was just cooling my battery. I have diagnostic data and can say for a fact that a battery at 42 C poses no issue to charging rates. In fact, it can get up to 50 C before the compressor fires up.

Tesla really needs to fix the throttling because it really is a drag on long distance trips.