Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fish Camp, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0478.JPG
Completely surprised by this one at Tenaya Lodge It is not even on supercharge.info
They just need to flip the switch, one more PG&E inspection according to the front desk.

WHHAAATTTT?! That is incredible. I stayed at Tenaya Lodge last January. They have had two J1772 chargers in that parking lot for a few years now but only for hotel guests. When I was there I spoke to someone who stated the Lodge was going to get more EV chargers but they didn't know anything else about them. I assumed they were getting some HPWCs. I am blown away that there is a Supercharger station there now.

So I wonder, could these be "private" Superchargers only for hotel guests, or are they open to the public? @EV-lutioin did you ask?

I have requested a moderator to move this thread to the California Superchargers forum.

i just called Tenaya Lodge and spoke to a nice women who did not know if the Superchargers will be for guests only or are open to the public. She mentioned that the EV chargers the Lodge has had for awhile are only for guests, and I knew that.

She said the Superchargers aren't open yet and didn't know when they would be open.
Oh, that's another good location in general. But I have to admit, I would rather had it in Oakhurst. I'm not all that fond of the Tenaya lodge. Its kind of a place mostly suited for people with youngish kids and a little out of town.
If these new Superchargers are open to the public I will be thrilled as they will be well placed for any Tesla owner heading into Yosemite using the Mariposa entrance.

Reactions: McManX
Looks like 8 stalls, seems a lot for a private SC.
Yes it does, but the fact that this location is not shown on the 2016 Tesla Supercharger map (I realize that map is not 100% accurate) and that Tenaya Lodge EV chargers have always been for guests only makes it at least possible that these Superchargers will not be open to the public. I certainly hope that is not the case. I think it is more likely that they will be open to the public, but I want confirmation.

Reactions: McManX
1. SCs don't show up on the Tesla.com supercharger map till they go live.
2. This location is CRUTIAL for driving in to Yosemite Valley from the south as there is only
IMG_3330.jpg
J-1772 charger in the valley and if you're not there for a few days you could be caught without power to get back to Fresno. I'll typically go in the winter when the low temp exacerbates the situation. This SC is good news indeed.
3. Have not encountered nor heard of any "private" superchargers thus far.
I'm looking forward to making a stop there in January!

About 60 miles north on 41 from the Fresno supercharger, 24 miles from there to Yosemite Lodge, and 41 miles to where 120 splits off to head east over Tioga Pass.

Yes, very nice for those coming in from the south. A fine complement to Groveland, which is for those coming in by the north entrance on 120.

Superchargers are always public (aren't they?). Given the new pay-to-charge structure for SC's, this location makes a lot of sense for Tesla.
There are Superchargers that are not public. See this year old article about a business owner in Sweden who bought two special 60kW Superchargers Tesla Sold 60KW “Superchargers” to a Business Owner and in this thread Private Tesla Fastcharger? [Not quite a supercharger] This guy bought 2. it is noted that at the Amsterdam airport a taxi company also has it's own Superchargers.

I am not aware of any Superchargers in the US that are private and not open to all Tesla owners. But there is always a first time. I am optimistic that these Superchargers at Tenaya Lodge will be public, but it surprises me that there is enough power available at that remote location to run 4 pairs of stalls at 120kW/pair. Possibly they are running at 60kW? Which would of course be far better than the two J1722 chargers currently at that location.

This location with 8 stalls in a remote, albeit popular, location is amazing considering that places like Mt. Shasta on I-5 have only four. This appears to be a strong indication that Tesla is preparing for future demand and for a revenue positive charging model.

Reactions: Chuq