Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tenterfield, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
The Tenterfield Supercharger appears to be near complete (from Trent Petronaitis on Facebook):

1669602284535.png
1669602305766.png

Definitely appears to be 4 stalls, which would be the first V3 we've seen here with a non-multiple-of-3 size (assuming it is a V3, I suppose).

Definitely a V3 from the CCS2 only plugs.
The cabinet is much larger than other sites so wonder if there is some form of battery storage.

More interestingly,
This is also the first site with NSW Govt funding attached (and that was for for stalls) - so will be required to be open for all CCS2 cars.

No sign of CHAdeMO or Type2 points (per the discussion on LudicrousFeed) or any credit card readers (per the tender docs)

Reactions: Chuq
I've just updated supercharge.info to point to this thread.

Also agree with @moa999 's observations - interesting to see how Tesla would handle the requirements for Chademo, Type 2, credit card etc. surprised there wasn't any flexibility offered. We will see what happens when it goes live.

Also agree with @moa999 's observations - interesting to see how Tesla would handle the requirements for Chademo, Type 2, credit card etc. surprised there wasn't any flexibility offered. We will see what happens when it goes live.

Drive electric NSW EV fast charging grants
Department of Planning and Environment Funding guidelines
Round one January 2022

Minimum performance standards for charging bays
Level 3 chargers range from 50 kW to 350 kW and use DC charging. Charging bays are expected to be equipped with FCAI recommended DC charging types, which is either CHAdeMO or CCS Type 2.

Note - no requirement for both plug types. So CCS2-only sites are compliant.

Eligibility criterion C: Payment interoperability
To be eligible your project must also:
  • include commonly accepted payment options that can be reasonably expected by EV drivers, such as EFTPOS or using a bank card. Payment options must not be restricted by any form of business-related prioritisation, such as memberships, subscriptions or smart phone applications
  • provide the option to pay for EV charging using an Opal digital card by ensuring the payment terminal provided at the EV charging site is:
    • a certified EMV terminal functioning in an unattended mode
    • configured with a merchant ID that is used only for EV charging (i.e. not used for any other services).
So Tesla will either have to offer this somehow, or they have managed to have this eligibility criterion waived or deferred.

Funding Guidelines
To be eligible your project must meet the following minimum requirements:
  • a minimum of 4 chargers to service a minimum of eight bays concurrently (i.e., 8 charging plugs)
  • a minimum of 6 charging bays rated at a minimum of 175kW per bay (+/- 20%)
  • a minimum of 2 charging bays rated at a minimum of 350kW per bay (+/-15%)
  • includes redundancy in the system (e.g. an additional 22 kW AC plug)
Again this AC charging appears to be a mandatory requirement which Tesla could meet by installing a destination charger at each site.

This site doesn't as currently constituted doesn't appear to meet the final requirement for a minimum of 8 charging plugs either.

Perhaps they have plans to expand it to a compliant status before whatever deadline is attached to the funding.

This site was only listed on the NSW Govt site as 4 stalls, so suspect it's remoteness/ or power issues allowed that.

On the CHAdeMO issue, think most are just going on what was said on Tom's (Ludicrous Feed) interview with the two NSW reps.

I posted it in the other thread a while back but the NSW Govt funding allowed for changes to the terms and conditions as they deemed at anytime. So perhaps we will see more of this 'flexibility' at locations to allow for the rollout to be as quick as possible.

Reactions: cafz
I posted it in the other thread a while back but the NSW Govt funding allowed for changes to the terms and conditions as they deemed at anytime. So perhaps we will see more of this 'flexibility' at locations to allow for the rollout to be as quick as possible.
I think that makes a lot of sense... it's possible the NSW Govt guys went all "deer in the headlights" on the live video and didn't want to imply that Tesla was going outside the terms of the contract.

Obviously it's in everyone's best interests for Tesla to build all these 9 and 15 stalls CCS2 sites, than to refuse them funding because they don't include 350 kW, Type 2, Chademo or credit card readers. (Remembering that supercharger stalls are one of the cheapest per stall sites to build, so the same money elsewhere would result in fewer sites.)

Guess we will see over time.
The ppl on Ludicrous Feed might have been talking for the majority of sites.

(And also with any changes in the yet to be released Stage 2 tender docs).

Could also be that Tesla has promised they will retrofit at least one CHAdeMO in the future based on changes that are being made overseas.

(Afterall that might be required for funding in the US - eg. 20 stalls NACS/CCS1, 2 stalls NACS/CHAdeMO or similar)

Must be getting close with news coverage.

Hopefully Tesla contract someone other than the local NRMA guy for any maintenance.

"Im happy that it all works as long as i dont have fix the problems that come with them its bad enough to control the nrma one or get called to it because customers dont know how it works"
"ok i am dying to find out cause im the on that looks after the one now and its a far bit of training to do"