Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Image uploads are fixed so I figured I would put up another post with the pics in the post

As I stated previously, the electric company guy showed up while I was there to sign off/tag the second transformer, he said electrically they were set and ready to roll but he did not know when they planned to officially put it online. So it seems it is just cosmetics left to finish up
This is the current state of the station with both transformers and the Tesla equipment:
DJI_0002.JPG
DJI_0007.JPG

DJI_0015.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
I love the spare space and 4 open pipes for the powerpack (giant battery backup unit) that will route power to the 4 supercharger cabinets when needed.

Just think in a year or two they'll come in with a small crane or forklift (there is a double door on the right of the PIC so they could possibly drive it in, or maybe just temporarily disassemble the wall closest to the parking lot?), hoist the pack into the enclosure, run some wiring and bam this site is immune to short term power failures.

Wow. This is a much bigger deal than I first thought. The St Charles SC is not dependable - been flaky since November of 2015 and no idea from Tesla when it might be back up. Effingham to Columbia is 218 miles. So the CHAdeMO alternative in St Charles (Best Western I think) will be a shorter stay! We might range charge at Terre Haute going west and Columbia heading east and maybe skip or greatly reduce St Charles.

I am charging at it right now. I was scheduled by the trip planner to stop at Effingham but wanted to check this one out. Managed to pick up something I needed at Meijers so the excursion was worth it. I am charging enough here so I can go straight home, I won't stop in Effingham now.

Peace,
Father Bill

• Informative
Reactions: rabar10
The Perils of Late-Night Terre Haute Supercharging

It was after midnight when we crossed the state line into Indiana. We were eastbound for Indianapolis, the second night of a full three day trip from New Mexico to Maryland. We were looking forward to a quick charge at the Terre Haute supercharger so we could get to Indianapolis and get some sleep before getting back out on the road for the final long haul to Maryland.

On this trip the car's nav system has been unreliable. In Missouri it told us to exit the freeway long before we should have, for the Rolla supercharger, sending us into some old two-lane road for miles before we found it -- situated right near an exit on the freeway. The NEXT exit.

But that was nothing compared to what it did to us as we approached Terre Haute. Told us the exit was in 1 mile. So I passed by the ACTUAL exit, thinking it must be a mile ahead. No. It was just a mile-long exit ramp that ran alongside the Interstate all that distance. So we thought we could turn around. No. No more exits for 22 MORE MILES. We had a 44-mile extension when the battery was only around 50 miles left to begin with.

Eventually we got back to the Terre Haute supercharger, located at the far end of a vast parking lot for a Meijer store, open 24 hours. That's when we found the mystery ICE car.

terrehaute-incident.png

The ICE SUV was parked straddled across three supercharger charging spaces, just sitting there. It is after midnight, in the 20s outside, vast Meijer parking lot mostly empty though store still open and occasional shoppers entering and exiting.

I back our Model S in behind the mystery car. It's still sitting nearby, engine off. I get out and plug in. Mystery car sitting there. Is anyone in it?

I stand outside in the cold holding on to the charger plug waiting to see what this mystery vehicle is going to do. Are there people inside? Are they sleeping? My car starts charging and I decide to continue standing right next to the chargeport in the car, in case bad guys suddenly jump out of that car looking for trouble.

One aspect of the Tesla ownership experience I have disliked since day one is the vulnerability one finds oneself in at a post-midnight supercharger with the car plugged in and charging and you cannot do a thing if bad people show up. You cannot suddenly drive off. Car won't move. There should be a way to jettison the charge plug and haul ass if the situation calls for it.

This is what I was thinking while I was standing there in the cold, freezing, my hand on the charge plug, car charging, when all of a sudden the mystery car's engine turns on. For 30 seconds it just sat there, then the car suddenly pulled away. Then it made a quick u-turn in the parking lot and swerved back, zoomed back to me, and stopped violently right at the front edge of my car, as if to block it.

Two men inside. College age. Driver rolls down window. He's looking at me.

"Does that thing drive itself?" he asked. It was the kind of question someone asks when they are not curious about the topic at all, but are looking for trouble.

"Nope," I said, hand on the charge plug, ready to pull it out and get in car.

"Doesn't it have something called auto-pilot?" the driver said.

"Nope," I said.

Long pause. He stares at me, pissed off, his drivers side window all the way down.

You could tell he wanted trouble. It looked like he and his passenger were about to get out of their car when he suddenly said a memorable line, a line from no doubt Terre Haute's finest, from deep in the bowels of ignorant, fearful, conservative Mike Pence country.

"Well," he said to me, pausing, then yelling, "GAS IS BETTER, FAG TITS!!!" Then he stomped on the accelerator and peeled out towards the Meijer store.

I got back in the car, and we watched as the SUV drove through the Meijer parking lot, to the far exit, down the road to the main highway, stopped at the light, turned right, and headed back towards us along the highway, then passed by and was gone. I told my wife what they said, and we both broke out laughing wondering what "fag tits" meant.

Must be an Indiana thing.

Hahaha. God, not living in Indiana anymore is bitter sweet. If you REALLY want something interesting to happen, go back to Terre Haute during the Diesel Extravaganza event (Scheid Diesel Extravaganza Official Website Dates, Times, Locations Terre Haute Indiana IN Wabash Valley Fairgrounds). Thousands of red necks blowing black smoke, terrorizing locals, flying Confederate flags, and spouting all sorts of lines like the one you encountered. I've never seen more concentrated hate crime or destruction of property in one place outside of riot areas, and the town fully supports this horrendous event because it apparently brings in money. My minority friends in town during the event always felt unsafe and had plenty of stories that make you embarrassed to be associated with the human race.

Good riddance to that place.

Hahaha. God, not living in Indiana anymore is bitter sweet. If you REALLY want something interesting to happen, go back to Terre Haute during the Diesel Extravaganza event (Scheid Diesel Extravaganza Official Website Dates, Times, Locations Terre Haute Indiana IN Wabash Valley Fairgrounds). Thousands of red necks blowing black smoke, terrorizing locals, flying Confederate flags, and spouting all sorts of lines like the one you encountered. I've never seen more concentrated hate crime or destruction of property in one place outside of riot areas, and the town fully supports this horrendous event because it apparently brings in money. My minority friends in town during the event always felt unsafe and had plenty of stories that make you embarrassed to be associated with the human race.

Good riddance to that place.

Hahaha, while reading that story I instantly thought of the diesel thing. What a <insert favorite word here> show. Previous vehicle was a stock non-trd tundra, which of course was not big enough for the yokels.

Unfortunately, it seems that we are vulnerable when the car is plugged in. A woman was robbed at gunpoint while at a charging station in Cabazon, CA according to a Sheriff’s Dept. press release. Not sure if this was the Tesla Supercharger there or the nearby EVgo but here is the report.

On Saturday, January 28, 2017, at 3:30 AM, deputies from the Cabazon Station responded to the 48300 Block of Seminole Drive, in Cabazon for a robbery. Upon arrival, Cabazon Station Deputies learned the victim was seated in her vehicle, while parked in the vehicle charging stations. A tan/gold colored Suburban style SUV pulled in behind her. The suspect, exited the driver’s seat, and approached the victim. While talking to the victim the suspect brandished a black revolver while demanding her “stuff”. The suspect fled the area with the victim’s belongings.

:: Sheriff-Coroner :: Riverside County, California

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv