Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The large slab gets both the Supercharger cabinets and the distribution center.
So what's the 2nd empty slab for?

Good question...maybe I got excited and jumped to conclusions. The transformer there could be an existing transformer for the Meijer's and the second, empty slab could be for a new transformer serving the Supercharger Site. That does seem to be a long way over to the Meijer's for their electrical feed.

Hmmm...maybe more than a couple of weeks. :eek:

Curious: supercharge.info has endowed Terre Haute with its "Under Construction" label in its Changes subcategory, but nothing - as of right now - shows on its Map. Not even a blue "Permitted" dot.

Fantastic news! Glad to see my home-town joining the Supercharger club. This and Champaign really flesh out the network in this area.

Too bad my current ride isn't compatible. Might have to do something about that, perhaps starting at the end of this month :)

Happy news! This does fill a very awkward gap.
Not a super-duper priority, but Effingham to Indianapolis is 146 miles, which is the biggest gap on I-70. (followed by Goodland-Hays and Grove City-Triadelphia).

Maybe not the right place to whine about this, but since I live in NJ, the "awkward" gap on I-70/I-76 is actually Harrisburg. Have to "swing" down to Newark, DE and Hagerstown, MD. Newark is only 4 chargers and very congested

I believe the green box in question is the HV switch gear and the empty slab is for the transformer.

In the picture below, on the left, the large green box behind the mini-excavator is an existing transformer with a grey meter box on it. This is probably feeding the power to the Meijer store or some other large building in the area. The small pad to the right of the existing transformer, behind the construction worker and the bucket of the mini-excavator, is probably for the new Supercharger Transformer. To the right of that, with the poles sticking up is the larger pad for the Supercharger Equipment Enclosure. The equipment in there will be the 480V Distribution Center (AKA 480V Switchgear) and the Supercharger Cabinets.

Terre Haute.jpg

Here is an annotated picture from a couple of years ago in Blanding, UT:

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

Good question...maybe I got excited and jumped to conclusions. The transformer there could be an existing transformer for the Meijer's and the second, empty slab could be for a new transformer serving the Supercharger Site. That does seem to be a long way over to the Meijer's for their electrical feed.

Hmmm...maybe more than a couple of weeks. :eek:

Well, the good news could be that the run from the Tesla transformer to the grid will be short and sweet. In Augusta, ME, they did a run from the Supercharger transformer to a transformer/box by the nearby Red Robin and had to run conduit across parking lot travel aisles. In Augusta the transformer was in pretty quickly. Time could just depend on how good the utility is there.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not the right place to whine about this, but since I live in NJ, the "awkward" gap on I-70/I-76 is actually Harrisburg. Have to "swing" down to Newark, DE and Hagerstown, MD. Newark is only 4 chargers and very congested

In case you weren't aware Newark has new stalls under construction. Might even be 12, with the original 4 closing.

Check out the later pages of the thread: Supercharger - Newark, DE

Well, the good news could be that the run from the Tesla transformer to the grid will be short and sweet. In Augusta, ME, they did a run from the Supercharger transformer to a transformer/box by the nearby Red Robin and had to run conduit across parking lot travel aisles. In Augusta the transformer was in pretty quickly. Time could just depend on how good the utility is there.

- - - Updated - - -

In case you weren't aware Newark has new stalls under construction. Might even be 12, with the original 4 closing.

Check out the later pages of the thread: Supercharger - Newark, DE

start around 2015-12-25, 10:22 AM post #258 which will be on page 13 or 26 depending on your posts per page setting.

You could start later in the thread than that but you'd miss some very funny posts.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I just happened to add Terre Haute between the time you visited the map page and the time you visited the changes page. Refresh and both will be there.

Say BlueShift, can you add a cone next to Newark,DE to show construction and an open supercharger both? It'd make the map more informative for people that don't know the construction is in progress and many new stalls are coming.

UPDATE:

Went out today and took a few more pics. While I was there a guy from Duke Energy (our local electric company) showed up. He said he was tagging the meter panel for the final inspection........so as for Duke energy it is ready to go. It seems they are now just waiting to finish cosmetic stuff.

If anyone would like better pictures of something specific, let me know. Unfortunately with this new forum format I can not upload full res images directly

Here are all the pics from today: Tesla supercharger station
There are 15 pics on the site

And a couple lower res images:

DJI_0001.JPG
DJI_0004.JPG

This is adjustable and we're still tweaking settings. How large and what dimensions are your image files?

So the issue is......if I create an album to upload images to it then gives me an error if I try to open the newly created album:

see this page for screen shots

If I try to upload an image to a gallery it errors out as file size to large

See this page for screen shots

and if I try to just directly upload an image to a post with the "upload a file" button I get a file to large error

See this page for screen shots

The picture I used as a test for all of the above is 5.5 meg 4000 X 3000 res which is approximately the same size as each of the pictures from my first post

Techoverload: Thank you for the lovely pictures and updates. I was thrilled when I saw this on supercharge.info, but have been disappointed by the lack of local coverage (though I guess I shouldn't be shocked, given the local culture).

I graduated from ISU in Terre Haute and moved to Washington to get a master's degree. I was fortunate enough to land a job that pays well enough for me to buy a Tesla this month. I plan to visit some college friends in Terrible Haute this summer. You are more than welcome to meet up with me and check out the car. :)

Techoverload: Thank you for the lovely pictures and updates. I was thrilled when I saw this on supercharge.info, but have been disappointed by the lack of local coverage (though I guess I shouldn't be shocked, given the local culture).

I graduated from ISU in Terre Haute and moved to Washington to get a master's degree. I was fortunate enough to land a job that pays well enough for me to buy a Tesla this month. I plan to visit some college friends in Terrible Haute this summer. You are more than welcome to meet up with me and check out the car. :)

That would be great!

I could not agree more about this horrid town, thankfully the supercharger station is outside of town and just off the highway.
On the bright side the Meijers is nice and that exit off the highway is a decent enough area.

We came here solely because my wife was offered a faculty position at ISU and agreed to pay for her PhD. She is now in her last semester of coursework, we already have apps in all over the country for her and we hopefully wont be here to much longer. I am also hoping after she finishes here and we move on I would like to pick up a Tesla, though we will still have two masters and undergrad debt to pay :(

Honestly the pics just give me a good excuse to go fly and something interesting to take pictures of, though that last round was a little rough because it was super windy and I had to fight to keep my drone on target.

Haha, yeah, I don't really count that part of "town" as actually being part of Terre Haute. It feels more like Avon, Brownsburg, or Plainfield over there. To me at least.

But yeah, man, I could go on and on about that place. At least you guys are getting a PhD out of the deal. The debt sucks, but thankfully my field (healthcare) has a lot of forgiveness and grants - especially if you work in a federally underserved area. Hopefully you guys can find some help that way.

How should I contact you when I roll through in June? I definitely want to sample that supercharger. You can e-mail me at [email protected].