TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Texarkana, TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jdo, Sep 21, 2016.

1. jdo

jdo Member

Maybe a tad premature, but I have reliable information that a permit application has been submitted for the location of the Olive Garden, 3101 Mall Drive. Still under review, so nothing definite yet.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
  2. TSchaefer

TSchaefer ~~~Model S Owner~~~ Model 3 Reservation Holder

Hmmm, that is most interesting to me. Will you come back and post if you get additional information in the Texarkana, TX SCharger

3. thx1139

thx1139 Member

So which of the continental states will be the last 2 get a SuperCharger Arkansas or North Dakota?

4. jdo

jdo Member

One can come up with reasonable rationalizations why there isn't yet an SC in North Dakota (probably similar to West Texas). Only active resistance on somebody's part would seem to explain why there's not one in Arkansas.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. jdo

jdo Member

Nothing on the September permit lists for Texarkana.

So today I called the Olive Garden and spoke to one of the managers. She confirmed that there had been discussions "about a month ago" but that she hadn't heard anything since then and didn't know about a final decision. She was unaware of any sort of permit application being filed. I couldn't tell over the phone if she was unhappy or puzzled that I was calling.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Texarkana, TX (Using the Olive Garden address)

Interstates: I-30
    US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): US-59*, US-67, US-71, US-82

I-30
    To: End (I-40, Little Rock, AR) - 145 miles
    Diversion: 0.9 miles
    To: Memphis, TN (I-30, I-40) - 293 miles

Also:
    To: Oklahoma City, OK (I-30, US-82, US-259, US-70, INT**, I-40) - 318 miles
    To: Springfield, MO (I-30, I-430, I-40, US-65, I-44) - 351 miles
    To: Independence, MO (I-30, US-71***, I-540, I-40, I-49, MO-291, I-470) - 461 miles

Sooooo,
    - Obviously need a Supercharger in Little Rock, AR area
    - The US-71/I-49 stretch north seems a little tricky: Mena, AR, Alma, AR and Joplin, MO**** might the best way to cover that stretch.

* US-59 is I-30 there
    ** Indian Nation Turnpike
    *** Note that the US-71 route north is supposed to become I-49
    **** Not looking like there's much near the ideal I-44/I-49 intersection near Joplin, MO though.

7. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Fort Smith would be an obvious spot. And then of course Little Rock, but I have no idea if there is some political reason why there aren't any Superchargers in Arkansas yet. If that's the case, then they could put the Fort Smith location on the OK side of the border.

Joplin would be a good spot to fill in later. Any of the rest you mention are unnecessary in the near term in my opinion.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Alma's at the intersection of I-40 and I-49, which is why I wrote that instead of Fort Smith. In the future, since I-49 is proposed to bypass Fort Smith entirely, Alma would likely be a better location.

The following is a PDF from 2014 of the proposed I-49 route:
    http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/i-49map.pdf

About 200 miles from OKC to Fort Smith and then another 290 to Memphis, TN. And then there are some other excessive spaces on I-40.

For I-40, I think Henryetta, OK; Van Buren, AR; North Little Rock, AR; Jackson, TN; Lebanon, TN would complete it with reasonable distances between Superchargers and potential locations close to the Interstate.

For the I-49/US-71 I suggested the one between Texarkana, TX and Alma, AR because it's 190-odd miles and Tesla seems to try to keep distances below 150 miles. Since Tesla has left eastern I-40 alone, I don't think that Tesla would prioritize it, but if Tesla manages to release Model 3, I'm sure it'd come back to fill in.

9. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

Okay I agree about Alma then, but I can't imagine them putting one at Van Buren *and* Alma. It would be either/or. Mena wouldn't be a near term priority. I think they would wait till it was an actual interstate before putting one there. And they'd prolly choose Cookeville instead of Lebanon, TN, but otherwise I agree with your post.

10. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Something funky is happening in AR. Oh well, just fill in the borders towns (i.e. Texarkana).

• Like x 1
  11. jdo

jdo Member

You could theoretically get by without an SC anywhere in Arkansas proper, with one exception: there has to be one in Little Rock.

• Like x 1
  12. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Well, those higher capacity batteries will just have to come along and render LR unnecessary then...or whatever powers that be who are putting up a roadblock to progress will soon be swept away by the tsunami of the EV revolution.

13. CarlA

CarlA Member

I was at a National Electric Car event at Whole Foods in Little Rock a few weeks ago and had a chance to speak with government energy folks about the lack of SC's in Arkansas. They assured me there was nothing holding them up and expected to see some activity early next year. Apparently they're currently trying to change a state law that says anyone charging for electricity has to be treated like a utility. So once that is changed they think charging stations will pop up everywhere in the state. We only have one Chademo charger in the state and only a handful of destination chargers at hotels. We have no ice vehicles in our family so its been particularly challenging.

• Informative x 3
  14. jdo

jdo Member

• Funny x 3
  15. CarlA

CarlA Member

Heard from Tesla today and they say they're getting close to the construction phase, so maybe by Christmas?

16. jdo

jdo Member

Have you been able to confirm the Olive Garden site?

17. CarlA

CarlA Member

I asked about the Olive Garden site but they didn't mention in their email. Tesla is usually pretty tight-lipped about location until construction has started.
    I've talked to the city manager in Texarkana and he keeps referring me to Tesla for the latest update. Tesla took a couple of weeks to respond to my email so maybe construction is imminent.

18. JMG

JMG Member

Bummer. I had a trip to take to Little Rock for a wedding next week.

Now trying to figure out if I want to try to stretch it and cause a little more inconvenience for the family or just surrender and take the ICE.

Hard to believe there isn't a single hotel in Little Rock with a charger listed on Plugshare.

I could make it work, but I don't think the family will go for it. In order to have enough safety buffer, I'd need to drive 30 minutes to my office, charge for an hour (14-50) and then I'd get to the hotel with a probably 30 mile buffer. The hotel looks like they have 110v plugs in the parking lot. There are some plugshare residences around with 80AMP, but between going to a rehearsal dinner, wedding, their house, etc I think it may be a little too ambitious.

C'mon Texarkana!

19. cadurney

cadurney Member

There is a level 2 at the Clinton Presidential Library, in downtown. Park, plug in and Uber to wedding. The library site is well-lit and fairly safe. Little Rock's a somewhat small town, with hotels very near the library.

• Helpful x 1
  20. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member