Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grapevine, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting location. I guess Texas Best Smokehouse is "all-in" on Superchargers. It's not even five miles from the Southlake Supercharger, so that's almost the most dense Supercharger placement anywhere in the world. (almost)

Twelve stalls in the city permit

upload_2020-7-23_19-13-24.png

Looks like Grapevine is getting a new supercharger. Really quick turnaround on the construction. Don't know if I've seen one go up that quick.

TDLR TABS - Project Details

Texas Best Smokehouse
1001 Northwest Highway
Grapevine, TX 76051

Start Date:
10/23/2020
Completion Date:
11/30/2020

@Chuq @MarcoRP
V3 would be nice. Even better if we could get a full speed SC in Dallas CO.

Interesting location. I guess Texas Best Smokehouse is "all-in" on Superchargers. It's not even five miles from the Southlake Supercharger, so that's almost the most dense Supercharger placement anywhere in the world. (almost)
And yes have noticed this connection. Wish QT would jump on board with this as even just having 4 stalls everywhere they are would be killer. Bucee's too!

2 other Texas Best Smokehouse locations that have superchargers are Alvarado, TX and Henrietta, TX. Both were installed in the fall of 2019. I looked up the cities of their other locations and none of them had a grey pin on Tesla's map, which may or may not mean something. But it's nice to see new companies giving hosting chargers a try.

2 other Texas Best Smokehouse locations that have superchargers are Alvarado, TX and Henrietta, TX. Both were installed in the fall of 2019. I looked up the cities of their other locations and none of them had a grey pin on Tesla's map, which may or may not mean something. But it's nice to see new companies giving hosting chargers a try.

Yeah. All three cities have had nearby pins at one point or another. Alvarado was Burleson (many of us still call it Burleson because of the way the city limits are gerrymandered), Henrietta was Wichita Falls and the original Grapevine pin became Southlake.

it would be interesting to see if there are any other TBS construction sites near long overdue pins. College Station? Mesquite?

Kind of an odd location, that it is not on a main highway. Not too far from 121, but still out of the way. This location will not take any customers away from Southlake location. I would have preferred one right off of 121.

Kind of an odd location, that it is not on a main highway. Not too far from 121, but still out of the way. This location will not take any customers away from Southlake location. I would have preferred one right off of 121.
I find Southlake to be far too crowded at times, Particularly irksome when i'm in a position to take in a fast charge. Here's to hoping Grapevine is a V3 and that it's opening will spur V3 upgrade for Southlake.

Reactions: bollar
Progress has been slow on Texas Best Smokehouse in Grapevine (maybe COVID-related delays for construction, inspections, etc). I've been keeping an eye on the lot and progress since it was announced a year or two ago with the mention of included Superchargers.

In the wide shot below you can see the main building with supports for what is likely the canopy over the gas pumps. Off to the left/West is the structure which will house the car wash.
IMG_2777.JPEG

Below is the East side of the building with a curved drive in progress. There are a couple concrete pads on the right which may be foundations for light poles.
IMG_2778.JPEG

Here's a closer view of the front (South side) of main building...
IMG_2776.JPEG

This is the West side of the car wash structure. Not sure where the property line will be but certainly space available over there.
IMG_2779.JPEG

Now we may be getting warmer. Behind (to the North of) the main building (which you can see on the right) and the car wash is an extended strip of drive already poured. There is some space along the fence and in the foreground there's likely enough space for a row of Supercharger pedestals and parking spaces.
IMG_2780.JPEG

Here's a little closer/zoomed shot of the space behind the building. Kinda washed out due to shooting towards sun.
IMG_2781.JPEG

I'll try to go by occasionally and send updates, especially when we get close to the October dates mentioned at the top. I'm not sure what type of infrastructure (pad for transformer, underground utility conduit, etc) will be visible prior to the official Supercharger work.

Another tidbit of possible interest. In the aerial view below, the blue rectangle is the lot that Texas Best is going into. The red circle ~1/4 mile to the Southeast is an electric substation that had significant work done to it about a year ago. There is construction ongoing in this area, over by Grapevine Mills, and the Gaylord recently put in a new wing, all of which could have necessitated additional electricity distribution, but hopefully Tesla will have a short, reliable branch feed.
Google Maps aerial.jpg

Regarding the hope for V3 Superchargers in Grapevine, is Tesla even deploying new V2’s any more? With claims that the Cybertruck and new Roadster will be capable of charging at more than 250kW (above the current charge rate of the V3 chargers), it wouldn’t seem to make sense to deploy V2’s in any new deployment.

Whether Southlake will be upgraded at any point in the near future is still an open question, though.

Reactions: TexasDuke
Regarding the hope for V3 Superchargers in Grapevine, is Tesla even deploying new V2’s any more?
Ignoring urban superchargers (72 kW), which are technically still V2, Tesla isn't newly developing full power superchargers as V2. But there are still a scant handful of sites out there that were originally designed as V2 before Tesla made the switch to V3, which haven't been built yet, and for which Tesla has chosen to move forward with them as V2s instead of redesigning as V3. But it's so rare now that you can pretty much ignore it going forward.

Whether Southlake will be upgraded at any point in the near future is still an open question, though.
That's unlikely, unless ONCOR ran a feed much larger than the project specified. When we discussed with the city council, we suggested they allow Tesla to plan for twenty stalls and voltage expansion, but that didn't happen.

Maybe coming back through a second time would be easier, but it took weeks to get the feed from the power pole across Carroll Avenue due to water mains and other obstructions that weren't "where they were supposed to be."