Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - The Dalles, OR

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I get the feeling that Tesla just doesn't really care much for Oregon. Two of the major arteries of the state (I5 and (I84) have huge stretches with no Superchargers, with no foreseeable change on the horizon.
And it's worse than that. I-5 covers along the Western edge, and I-84 along the Northern edge, but at least they do have coverage. It's 2021, and trying to get through that middle of the state is still empty. U.S. highways 20 and 26 are very commonly used routes that still don't have anything. They do finally have a permit for Burns, but that could take the rest of the year and has been very late coming.

Reactions: 3'sterly

Guvnah

Sep 16, 2018
Portland, OR
Boardman seems to have got the axe and has been removed from Tesla's coming soon map. Hood River is tentatively slated for Q2 this year (so hopefully by late summer?). Still, going East things could be a little rough. I'm glad I traded in for the Long Range Y.

I don't know why they took Boardman off the map for expected SCs! Boardman makes a lot of since for east/west and north/south traffic!

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
And it's worse than that. I-5 covers along the Western edge, and I-84 along the Northern edge, but at least they do have coverage. It's 2021, and trying to get through that middle of the state is still empty. U.S. highways 20 and 26 are very commonly used routes that still don't have anything. They do finally have a permit for Burns, but that could take the rest of the year and has been very late coming.

Yes... and last summer I did the stretch from Kennewick to Bend. Yes, went slower - but scenery and perfect weather helped quite a bit. Wanted to avoid The Dalles (out of the way) and Madras has a few slow chargers - just in case. But I always thought Madras was a no-brainer for an SpC being a major intersection from two directions. I'm not blaming Tesla as I know there are many variables and politics in getting a location, but Eastern half of Oregon should be a focus.

Reactions: Tacoma Dave

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
Yes... and last summer I did the stretch from Kennewick to Bend. Yes, went slower - but scenery and perfect weather helped quite a bit. Wanted to avoid The Dalles (out of the way) and Madras has a few slow chargers - just in case. But I always thought Madras was a no-brainer for an SpC being a major intersection from two directions. I'm not blaming Tesla as I know there are many variables and politics in getting a location, but Eastern half of Oregon should be a focus.

Especially considering the big influx of people into Bend and surrounding areas.

wdolson

Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
My 3 currently shows 3 stalls available, sounds like Tesla has at least one breaker there now. You may have a wait, but I’m glad to see it back up.
Someone must have plugged in, it’s now 2 chargers.

There are only 5 chargers at the Dalles. It's one of the smallest supercharger installations I've ever seen.

tharasix

Jul 30, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
The East Towne Mall supercharger in Madison, WI only has three chargers. I've used it several times between Minneapolis and Chicago. That one is the smallest I've ever seen, probably the smallest that exists.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

acarney

Jul 9, 2019
Richland, WA
The East Towne Mall supercharger in Madison, WI only has three chargers. I've used it several times between Minneapolis and Chicago. That one is the smallest I've ever seen, probably the smallest that exists.
I believe there is one near the southern tip of Florida or just off the mainland that is only a 2 spot location.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA

There are (were?) a couple of 2-stall sites in Connecticut. Those locations were or are in the process of being upgraded.

tharasix

Jul 30, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
There are (were?) a couple of 2-stall sites in Connecticut. Those locations were or are in the process of being upgraded.

Yep. Supercharge.info shows two in Milford, CT that are two stalls on either side of an I-95 travel plaza. I guess that counts!

I'm not seeing any two stall charger in southern Florida, though. I did a road trip down to the Keys in 2019 and didn't run across one, either, though I didn't stop at the Marathon Key supercharger. It might have been two stalls in the past, but it's currently four.

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
The really unique thing about that supercharger is that each stall has its own cabinet. All I can think of is that they originally intended for it to be 5 or 6 stalls and then the property owner wouldn't allow them to use that many spaces for whatever reason. In any case, there's now a newer, bigger supercharger like a mile away so it hardly matters. At least you'll never have to share power at the old 3-stall v2 site!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC