Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - The Dalles, OR (LIVE Aug 2014, 5 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the feeling that Tesla just doesn't really care much for Oregon. Two of the major arteries of the state (I5 and (I84) have huge stretches with no Superchargers, with no foreseeable change on the horizon.
And it's worse than that. I-5 covers along the Western edge, and I-84 along the Northern edge, but at least they do have coverage. It's 2021, and trying to get through that middle of the state is still empty. U.S. highways 20 and 26 are very commonly used routes that still don't have anything. They do finally have a permit for Burns, but that could take the rest of the year and has been very late coming.

Reactions: 3'sterly
Boardman seems to have got the axe and has been removed from Tesla's coming soon map. Hood River is tentatively slated for Q2 this year (so hopefully by late summer?). Still, going East things could be a little rough. I'm glad I traded in for the Long Range Y.

I don't know why they took Boardman off the map for expected SCs! Boardman makes a lot of since for east/west and north/south traffic!

And it's worse than that. I-5 covers along the Western edge, and I-84 along the Northern edge, but at least they do have coverage. It's 2021, and trying to get through that middle of the state is still empty. U.S. highways 20 and 26 are very commonly used routes that still don't have anything. They do finally have a permit for Burns, but that could take the rest of the year and has been very late coming.

Yes... and last summer I did the stretch from Kennewick to Bend. Yes, went slower - but scenery and perfect weather helped quite a bit. Wanted to avoid The Dalles (out of the way) and Madras has a few slow chargers - just in case. But I always thought Madras was a no-brainer for an SpC being a major intersection from two directions. I'm not blaming Tesla as I know there are many variables and politics in getting a location, but Eastern half of Oregon should be a focus.

Reactions: Tacoma Dave
Yes... and last summer I did the stretch from Kennewick to Bend. Yes, went slower - but scenery and perfect weather helped quite a bit. Wanted to avoid The Dalles (out of the way) and Madras has a few slow chargers - just in case. But I always thought Madras was a no-brainer for an SpC being a major intersection from two directions. I'm not blaming Tesla as I know there are many variables and politics in getting a location, but Eastern half of Oregon should be a focus.

Especially considering the big influx of people into Bend and surrounding areas.

There are (were?) a couple of 2-stall sites in Connecticut. Those locations were or are in the process of being upgraded.

Yep. Supercharge.info shows two in Milford, CT that are two stalls on either side of an I-95 travel plaza. I guess that counts!

I'm not seeing any two stall charger in southern Florida, though. I did a road trip down to the Keys in 2019 and didn't run across one, either, though I didn't stop at the Marathon Key supercharger. It might have been two stalls in the past, but it's currently four.

The East Towne Mall supercharger in Madison, WI only has three chargers. I've used it several times between Minneapolis and Chicago. That one is the smallest I've ever seen, probably the smallest that exists.
The really unique thing about that supercharger is that each stall has its own cabinet. All I can think of is that they originally intended for it to be 5 or 6 stalls and then the property owner wouldn't allow them to use that many spaces for whatever reason. In any case, there's now a newer, bigger supercharger like a mile away so it hardly matters. At least you'll never have to share power at the old 3-stall v2 site!

Semi-stranded right now. It’s 108def outside, the car is reporting 120.
All five stalls taken and I was second in the queue, which was five cars deep. Got slot one. Plugged and and walked to get snacks. Came back to a “Ready to charge” msg with only 5% added. Couldn’t get it to restart for the life of me. Kindly asked my neighbor to swap spots to isolate whether it’s my car (P85D) or the stall. Swap yielded my car. Tried to plug/unplug three times before it finally started charging again. Five mins later I get a “Unable to DC fast charge, please unplug and try again.”
Long story short I get the red ring of death every few mins and suspect I need to let the car cool down for a few and then plug in again.
Getting all sorts of dirty looks and even one “ARE YOU FINISHED YET?!?!” question.

Edit: nosecone car next to me just said the same thing is happening to her. Not paired stalls. So perhaps thermal management of older cars over their limits.

Edit2: Model Y owner just told me all stalls are doing the same now although he can directly unplug/plug and it’ll start right up again. I just need 10more miles to make it safely back to town and be done with this fiasco. Let’s see how many tries it’ll take me.

Semi-stranded right now. It’s 108def outside, the car is reporting 120.
All five stalls taken and I was second in the queue, which was five cars deep. Got slot one. Plugged and and walked to get snacks. Came back to a “Ready to charge” msg with only 5% added. Couldn’t get it to restart for the life of me. Kindly asked my neighbor to swap spots to isolate whether it’s my car (P85D) or the stall. Swap yielded my car. Tried to plug/unplug three times before it finally started charging again. Five mins later I get a “Unable to DC fast charge, please unplug and try again.”
Long story short I get the red ring of death every few mins and suspect I need to let the car cool down for a few and then plug in again.
Getting all sorts of dirty looks and even one “ARE YOU FINISHED YET?!?!” question.

Edit: nosecone car next to me just said the same thing is happening to her. Not paired stalls. So perhaps thermal management of older cars over their limits.

Edit2: Model Y owner just told me all stalls are doing the same now although he can directly unplug/plug and it’ll start right up again. I just need 10more miles to make it safely back to town and be done with this fiasco. Let’s see how many tries it’ll take me.
You can stop and restart a charge from either the touchscreen or the app. Not that it's likely to help your charging situation, but it's a little easier than going out and unplugging and plugging back in while everyone in line is staring at you :) I have had a couple situations where this actually worked, but those situations seem like they are a little different than yours. In my case, the power would ramp up to like 80kW and then go up and down wildly before dropping to 0. But each time it did it, it would add like 10-20 miles, so I just sat in the car and kept re-initiating charges until I had enough to limp to the next supercharger.

Hopefully Tesla sends someone out from Portland to work on it, because it's only going to get hotter in the Dalles the next few days. In fact, the all-time hottest temperature in the history of the state of Oregon could be set there, or perhaps some place further east near Hermiston or Umatilla. Current record is 117F.