Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Thousand Oaks, CA - East Thousand Oaks Blvd (re-opened May 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Icing penalties galore. Been there once a week since it opened. Yesterday guy in a Volvo pulled up and started arguing with the security guard.....
Small world. I witnessed this exact incident. I spoke with the security guard afterwards to thank him for enforcing the space. Some people are such jerks. Also, not to stereotype, but never thought of Volvo drivers as the confrontational type.

My first time charging here. Great location , freeway close, but since the stall signs do not restrict parking to only Tesla’s that are charging ICEing is going to be an issue. Signs say “TESLA VEHICLE CHARGING” so anyone can park in the charging stalls, apparently. Not Tesla’s fault, it’s the landlord.

B79BF382-4A5B-4214-A8E4-3E1AF93D9B47.jpeg

AA979DBF-C2D4-4E7E-ACC8-C1C59164E524.jpeg

Last edited:
At least the spaces are striped green.

A similarly green-painted curb (green/blue for the one visible disabled blue space) along with a few municipal No Parking signs would accent those red Tesla Charging signs beautifully.

Channeling my inner Banksy, evidently.

At least the spaces are striped green
I doubt that any ICE driver will pay attention to those green stripes and change their parking behavior.

Since the Supercharger stall signs do not state something like “For EV charging only” I assume that the landlord is okay with anyone parking in those spaces.

I am sure that Tesla always tries to get Supercharger stall signs that clearly state the spaces are only for use by EVs charging. In this case, they couldn’t get that, unfortunately.

A friend may accidentally acquire a quantity of these here spiffy Affordable No Parking signs , drill them, and toss them along with the requisite nuts and bolts and some Loctite into the frunk. Maybe a tie-dye blue TJ mark on the back of each just for grins. Wish the friend had thought of it ~300 supercharger sites ago.

A few of these signs affixed directly below the Tesla signs, along with the property management company adding some green paint for the curb (both sides) would contribute toward deterrence. Deterrence would appear to be the best option here, given the givens.

Although it seems the security guard's "tickets" at this Thousand Oaks location may help as well. Most people don't know that they can't be towed without signage - and in fact, tow companies don't always refuse. A buck is a buck.

Fact is, though, I rarely see ICEing by ICEs anymore. Couple places come to mind, but ICEing by our own and livery remain the #1 & #2 concerns. ICEing by ICEs is 4th, and it's not close. Only 3% of the network is "busy" anyway. Top 1%-ish being in California, according to those nifty flat panel real-time readouts. As an aside, China has been supplanted by Norway and the Netherlands in those displays (8 are typically California, 1 Norway, and 1 Netherlands - whereas a few months ago, China had a spot or two in the Top 10).

Small world. I witnessed this exact incident. I spoke with the security guard afterwards to thank him for enforcing the space. Some people are such jerks. Also, not to stereotype, but never thought of Volvo drivers as the confrontational type.

Hmmm. Were you the one in shorts? I was going to join the conversation but wife was pinging me to get home.

Having been there a number of times, the icing appears to be worse in the evening when the parking lot is almost full with theatergoers . There are spaces but the Tesla spaces have many openings and people somehow justify parking there. I find it really annoying, What if we pulled into a gas station, just left our car there at the pump while we went in and did some shopping at the convenient store? It’s pretty much the same thing. Putting warning notices on windshields is new and a great idea. Like to think that that will solve the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
My first time charging here. Great location , freeway close, but since the stall signs do not restrict parking to only Tesla’s that are charging ICEing is going to be an issue. Signs say “TESLA VEHICLE CHARGING” so anyone can park in the charging stalls, apparently. Not Tesla’s fault, it’s the landlord.

View attachment 293706

View attachment 293707
I saw the same thing, three cars in charging stalls. I told security but he looked like a dear in head lights.

Attachments

• IMG_20180428_115358.jpg
    IMG_20180428_115358.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 101
Arrived here around 4:30. Five spaces were ICED but at least ten open. I asked the security guard - “out of curiosity do they police the spaces?” He said only if there are very few spaces left. I said there were five non-Teslas. Hey said they would put notices on the cars but that was all they could do. He said one Friday night when there is a good movie at the theater there would be a riot.

The state legislature should pass a law forbidding non-EVs from parking in dedicated charging spaces. Perhaps something along the lines os handicap spaces. I don’t know what Tesla’s arrangement is with property owners, but if they pay to have SCs placed on private property the landlords should be compelled to have violators cited and towed. This assumes the proper “no parking, violators will be towed” signage.

The state legislature should pass a law forbidding non-EVs from parking in dedicated charging spaces. Perhaps something along the lines os handicap spaces. I don’t know what Tesla’s arrangement is with property owners, but if they pay to have SCs placed on private property the landlords should be compelled to have violators cited and towed. This assumes the proper “no parking, violators will be towed” signage.

In the meantime, while waiting 5 years for this to get passed, if we all stored a hammer in our frunk and hammered the ICE cars, they’d quickly stop parking there. It’s insane that they do this. Then again, the Century City mall has all these EV and Clean air vehicle spots and 99% taken up by ICE SUVs!