Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Thousand Oaks, CA - East Thousand Oaks Blvd (re-opened May 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. This location is confirmed. Looks like construction has begun at The Promenade at Westlake. Took these pictures today.

Attachments

• IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 382
While this center is a nice, high end location with plenty of shopping, dining and entertainment options, I really don't like the spot they picked within the center for these chargers. Perhaps there was no other option logistically, but these chargers are right next to the high-end cinema in the promenade that is always crowded and I fear they are likely to be ICE'd because the spaces these chargers are occupying are prime parking real estate. There is plenty of space in the rear of this center that could have been a tidy, out of the way charging place for those who needed it. But maybe the utility setup would not allow it. I don't know. I have another theory though...

It's almost like the supercharger is being put out there front and center, fully visible to the wealthy potential clientele in the area. If true, maybe this strategy makes sense -- why not put a supercharger in a visible place that might showcase the product and drive an extra sale or two, while still serving its primary purpose?

While this center is a nice, high end location with plenty of shopping, dining and entertainment options, I really don't like the spot they picked within the center for these chargers.

Agreed, Commuter. The Promenade would not be my ideal location in TO, especially since just getting into and around the parking lot from the offramp - and then back on to the freeway - can be cumbersome. But to put them right near the front of the theater definitely increases the ICE'ing risk. Oh well, I'm still glad they're going in, though.

Reactions: rrosenbl
Putting SCs next to distractions that lend themselves to ICEing is just bizarre. Or indicative of managerial laziness - can’t tell which. Seems to be prevalent in the Southwest Region.

Charging stalls for 30-45 minutes next to 1.5-2hr movies... makes perfect sense. Because people will move their car in the middle of a movie, yeah.

It gets worse. I’ve/we’ve all seen Teslas in L2 spaces not even pretending to charge just because those L2 spaces are closest to the movie theatre. Tacky and unrefined, that. Especially when at the theatre parking garage in question (Arclight Beach Cities), there is plenty of parking in upper levels *and an elevator*.

Great credit to Washington (State) which led the way with their $125 fine unless there’s an EV *charging* in a designated space.

A combination of education (no parking signage and green striping) combined with consistent enforcement (high fines, towing) will be necessary. Only then will people respect green spaces as much as they do blue (disabled parking) and red (fire lanes).

Culver City SC (at a mall) is an example of how to do it right - plus there was/is valet service for those who want to do the dinner and a movie thing or extended shopping. They’ll charge your chariot *and move it to a regular space when done*. Easy peasy.

Haven’t seen that service anywhere else on the continent, of course. But good signage is starting to proliferate.

Live and learn. Rinse and repeat.

The 12 stalls for the SC at Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga are also located near a large upscale theater. When these were installed about 2 years ago, some of us worried that this location was vulnerable to ICEing. However, these fears proved to be unfounded. There are enough Teslas and drivers present almost all the time to discourage ICEing. And yes, I believe the high visibility is noticed favorably by patrons heading toward the theater.

Wow. I’ve been following the Calabasas SC progress (permitted) and missed this completely. I hadn’t seen any status movement and it’s already under construction!

Even funnier, I was there today looking for a parking spot and was wondering what was going on as I had thought the TO SC was going to be at Hampshire and TO Blvd.

Might swing by tomorrow now that I know what gives.

DD13F5FC-D888-43BF-962D-A745D9DA9A4A.jpeg Lots of progress installing charging stations. Not so much on transformers.

Attachments

• 40DE4EB6-63D6-411F-9DF2-9C7BE73AE35F.jpeg
    40DE4EB6-63D6-411F-9DF2-9C7BE73AE35F.jpeg
    709.1 KB · Views: 262
  • DE58449E-2AD5-4B3D-9766-EEA431044388.jpeg
    DE58449E-2AD5-4B3D-9766-EEA431044388.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 274
  • AF0E95EB-7CA0-4AD6-B7AF-183E48F6F390.jpeg
    AF0E95EB-7CA0-4AD6-B7AF-183E48F6F390.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 3D2A0B8E-BE4B-4FBC-BA04-ED7E445F8B61.jpeg
    3D2A0B8E-BE4B-4FBC-BA04-ED7E445F8B61.jpeg