Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Thousand Oaks, CA - East Thousand Oaks Blvd (re-opened May 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The designation of the site isn’t Thousand Oaks East. It’s just Thousand Oaks — the the section of Thousand Oaks Blvd. east of Moorpark Rd. is E. Thousand Oaks Blvd. West of that (and entering the Oaks Mall), it’s W. Thousand Oaks Blvd.
The “designation” of this Supercharger in the Tesla nav is whatever Tesla decides to call it. That is what we are talking about here.

The Supercharger name in this TMC thread title is set to be whatever Tesla decides to call it to avoid confusion.

You of course are welcome to call this Supercharger by whatever name you choose. :) But if your name doesn’t match Tesla’s name, whoever you are trying to communicate with may not understand which Supercharger you are referring to.

If you think Tesla has misnamed this Supercharger, I suggest you contact them and try to change their minds.

Reactions: Chuq
@ecarfan

My post was obviously not clear enough — I wasn’t arguing about Tesla’s right to designate the site.

If you review the screenshots posted by @rrosenbl and @BruceR61, you will notice the text reads:

Thousand Oaks, CA - East
Thousand Oaks Boulevard

I was simply pointing out that East applies to the street, not the city. Had they abbreviated Boulevard, the text might have appeared as:

Thousand Oaks, CA -
East Thousand Oaks Blvd.

The address of The Promenade At Westlake, in which the SCs are located, is 140 Promenade Way. Apparently, the address of the SCs is on E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., not on Promenade Way or Westlake Blvd. (For those arriving via the 101, Westlake Blvd. might have been preferable).

In any case, it’s Tesla’s call.

Reactions: rpez021
@ecarfan

My post was obviously not clear enough — I wasn’t arguing about Tesla’s right to designate the site.

If you review the screenshots posted by @rrosenbl and @BruceR61, you will notice the text reads:

Thousand Oaks, CA - East
Thousand Oaks Boulevard

I was simply pointing out that East applies to the street, not the city. Had they abbreviated Boulevard, the text might have appeared as:

Thousand Oaks, CA -
East Thousand Oaks Blvd.

The address of The Promenade At Westlake, in which the SCs are located, is 140 Promenade Way. Apparently, the address of the SCs is on E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., not on Promenade Way or Westlake Blvd. (For those arriving via the 101, Westlake Blvd. might have been preferable).

Had the pleasure of visiting the TO supercharger yesterday. Glad it's open. A few comments about the experience..
We were coming down from Canarillo and set the GPS (verbally) to see how it would take us to the SC. It wanted us to exit at Lindero Cyn and then get back on the NB 101 and get off at Westlake. Alerted Tesla to this anomily.

Second item that came up was the ICE parking. There were some ICE parked in some of the stalls, and there were also a parade of ICE passing thru but not parking, but there was also a Tesla S parked head in ( to a back in space) and not connected, and just parking there.. Some people must be more important than me.

• Disagree

Thousand Oaks, CA - East
Thousand Oaks Boulevard

I was simply pointing out that East applies to the street, not the city....
Apparently, the address of the SCs is on E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., not on Promenade Way or Westlake Blvd. ...

I actually interpreted Tesla's nomenclature quite differently. My take on this is that there are two superchargers located in Thousand Oaks. One is towards the East (this one), while the other is towards the West (under construction). I guess we will know once the other location goes live if it is named "Thousand Oaks, CA - West"

Reactions: MP3Mike
I actually interpreted Tesla's nomenclature quite differently. My take on this is that there are two superchargers located in Thousand Oaks. One is towards the East (this one), while the other is towards the West (under construction). I guess we will know once the other location goes live if it is named "Thousand Oaks, CA - West"

Initially, that's what I thought as well. Then, I noticed Thousand Oaks Boulevard below, as well as S. Westlake Blvd. The northern border of the Promenade is E. Thousand Oaks Blvd., and the hyphen is before, not after, East. So, I think east more likely refers to the street, not the section of the city.

However, I agree with you that the best option is probably to name the two sites as Thousand Oaks East, and Thousand Oaks West. The Thousand Oaks Boulevard text should probably be deleted.

Now on PlugShare as Thousand Oaks Supercharger
22A25F34-FC9B-4DF2-8FBE-48F1293874B6.jpeg

Not only did someone get a violation, but they threw their trash on the ground. This was in stall 9B this morning. Here’s a view without the wiper blade blocking.
View attachment 289074

Interesting. I spoke to the mobile security guy there the other evening. Because there is no signage stating stalls are for Tesla only, we concluded the two ICE’ed vehicles could not get cited. Wonder what changed. Is there new signage since Thursday?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Unfortunately, placing a notice like this on their windshield gives them no legal authority to actually act on any of the threats it states. California law states that there must be signage with very specific language in order to act on citations or towing.

There may be ICEing now, but my guess is as Teslas begin to fill in these spots, it will become less and less of a problem. It would become too obvious of a violation of policy, plus, there will be plenty of owners around to say "Hey, do you mind?"

Reactions: Yankee
Great to see that it is live now. I really love how fast the Thousand Oaks area got so many Superchargers. For the amount of Tesla's driving around and the amount of people that pre-ordered the Model 3 in this area it totally makes sense that this happened so quickly in 2018. Just after we got the local Tesla service station in Agoura Hills off of Kanan! As soon as I saw that getting built I knew the SC's were coming, but didn't realize we would get multiple SC sites in the same year.

Hopefully at these sites they install some actual warning signage up other than “Tesla Vehicle Charging”, which does not make it obvious that non-Tesla vehicles that need to charge should not be allowed to park there. The mobile security people in the golf carts that have to physically hand out those "orange flyers" are going to keep finding more of the flyer trash on the ground until that time. There are so many cars that go through that quite busy parking lot right out in front of the movie theater where the SC's are, especially during evening and weekends. I doubt this will be much of an issue at the Thousand Oaks - West location as there is so much more parking and most prefer the covered parking structure

Last edited:
913D5FF9-0B36-40EC-B059-65D69AE49BB8.jpeg
I forgot to plug in last night and I thought I’d try out the New Supercharger. I was not impressed with the speed at first but it did speed up over time to 190 mi./hr. Still slower than elsewhere when only one space is taken out of 20. But the location sure is convenient.

Last edited:
View attachment 291449 I forgot to plug in last night and I thought I’d try out the New Supercharger. I was not impressed with the speed at first but it did speed up over time to 190 mi./hr. Still slower than elsewhere when only one space is taken out of 20. But the location sure is convenient.
Keep an eye on the kilowatt rate rather than the miles per hour rate. It is a more interpretable energy flow rate, for some reason the miles per hour rate fluctuates significantly making it difficult to compare. Was 51 kW the max you received? I routinely top out at 104 to 106 kW having charged three times at TO-East supercharger. Note it takes some minutes for the battery and charger system to “warm-up“ to accept a high flow rate.

FWIW, I've been there 3 times since it opened, and I saw:

1) Two spots ICE'ed
2) Two spots ICE'ed (interestingly, pretty much the same two spots)
3) No spots ICE'ed

Maybe it will just take a little time. If the property owner stays vigilant about the notices (whether or not they legally can tow), I bet most people will learn. If they're lax, then people will eventually catch on that anyone can park there. Sort of like how kids operate with rules. ;)

Also, I already have a favorite spot, and it's always been free so far. It's the little things. :)