Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Thousand Oaks, CA - West Hillcrest Drive (LIVE 3 Aug 2018, Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is great! I saw the permits updated on 11/13/2017 showing the Supercharger application was approved for The Oaks Shopping Center (350 W Hillcrest Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360) posted in the other thread and have linked that info at the bottom of this post. I visited the other "Thousand Oaks" location this past weekend at The Promenade at Westlake, and it looks nearly ready to be powered up there. It will be nice to have an actual Thousand Oaks Supercharger location as The Oaks Mall gets a lot of visitors and is actually in Thousand Oaks proper and not Westlake Village. The Tesla Repair Center in Agoura Hills that was installed in August 2017 is a quarter mile from my work which is quite convenient. After The Oaks Mall Supercharger installation is complete now all that we need is a local Tesla showroom/delivery center.

I think us locals are feeling pretty lucky this new year with all of this progress.

Search for Permit # 17-00004489 at the City of Thousand Oaks website: Click2Gov Building Permit. Click 'Select Permit' and then use Search Method 'Application Number', and in the first input field for "Application Number:" enter in 17 and then press your tab key or click inside the second input box field and enter in 00004489. Screenshot below.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rpez021 and gene
The online permit listing does not mention "Tesla" anywhere. This could be a permit for a regular charging station. Where is the Original Poster's (OP's) evidence it is a Tesla Supercharger permit? The project owner is Macerich (the mall owner/manager) not Tesla.

The online permit listing does not mention "Tesla" anywhere. This could be a permit for a regular charging station. Where is the Original Poster's (OP's) evidence it is a Tesla Supercharger permit? The project owner is Macerich (the mall owner/manager) not Tesla.
Fair point. However, the permit “Valuation” is stated as $150,000. While obviously a ballpark figure and not a precise actual cost, I have difficulty envisioning any other type of EV charging station that could cost that much to construct. Maybe it is for some new type of EV station that we have not yet seen in California. But for now I’m going to leave this thread in this forum. I will edit the thread title to reflect some degree of uncertainty. o_O

If it turns out this future EV charging site is not a Tesla Supercharger I will move the thread to the California forum.

The posting at supercharge.info and this thread is based partly on the permit and partly on the report from a user on the other thread who had information that it was definitely a Tesla supercharger.
My reading of the posts in the other thread is that some people believe the Thousand Oaks permit has to be for a Supercharger because of the “Valuation” figure of $150,000. I am not aware of any other evidence supporting their conclusion.

My opinion is that the $150,000 value shown in the permit certainly supports the belief that the Thousand Oaks location will be a Tesla Supercharger, but does not prove it. We shall see...

Last edited:
@Chuq @McManX This is the permit for the contractor to prepare the site for Tesla. Once they are done Tesla will pull one under their name and complete the work. I promise/guarantee 20 stalls are coming to The Oaks. You will see in due time! A great addition for city of TO and all us Tesla owners so be excited! :)

Any idea of where the SC's could be located at the site? I truly think that this is the best location choice in Thousand Oaks!

Any idea of where the SC's could be located at the site? I truly think that this is the best location choice in Thousand Oaks!

Hey @qsnexus! Yes I know exactly where they are going.

They will be going directly behind the three level parking garage at The Oaks. This garage is the only parking garage at The Oaks...the one closest to Nordstrom and the Food Court. There is a small surface lot behind the garage with 50 or so spaces. The chargers will be going in a row closest to the garage on the west side (westside if you are looking at my screenshots attached). :)!

I have attached two screenshots to this post. The first one shows the whole parking structure (those are solar panels on top). You will see the surface lot I am referencing.

The 2nd image is zoomed in on the area the SCs will be going!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 3.07.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 3.07.10 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 331
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 3.08.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 3.08.42 PM.png
    474.8 KB · Views: 274
@Black_P85, thanks for the lowdown, very helpful. If the Oaks Mall location works out well and they ever need to expand the number of Superchargers on-site there are plenty of spots to choose from, maybe at the north or south east side.
Thanks. This location was picked likely due to the distance for drawing power. Not easy to create Power out in the middle of that east lot and would cost a lot more money. Owner can pull Power from garage in this location. Also this location is near public restrooms off the food court and is close to the food amenities For people charging...

Reactions: rrosenbl and Ulmo
Fair point. However, the permit “Valuation” is stated as $150,000. While obviously a ballpark figure and not a precise actual cost, I have difficulty envisioning any other type of EV charging station that could cost that much to construct. Maybe it is for some new type of EV station that we have not yet seen in California. But for now I’m going to leave this thread in this forum. I will edit the thread title to reflect some degree of uncertainty. o_O

If it turns out this future EV charging site is not a Tesla Supercharger I will move the thread to the California forum.
When we took delivery on our Tesla X they said it would be at the Oaks.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
As far as spots at The Oaks are concerned, that's a generally great location for a SC. One thing people should know if they show up for a dinner/charge on Sunday nights is that the mall closes before some of the restaurants. We learned this the hard way one weekend when we parked in that garage and walked through the mall to have dinner at Cheesecake Factory only to discover that we had to walk around the mall (i.e., in the parking lot) to get back to our car.

• Informative
Reactions: gene and Black_P85

The "valuation" at the Milpitas and/or Los Gatos sites were also marked as $150,000 in their permits, as I recall. Not that my recollection is worth much, but I suspect a typical standard "valuation" for paperwork purposes used sometimes. I wonder if it's a bookmark: that value is chosen to specify the parameters of the installation for searches. It's something I would do. (I put the date in every transfer amount I do between my financial accounts, so I can reconciliate better.)

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Good luck on getting this one opened quickly. Unless the building department has gotten more friendly and less busy, things seems to get delayed. I worked with them on another similar charger and it took forever with change requests. Glad I am no longer consulting with that area. Some building departments are a great please to work with and some aren't. This one is definitely not a favorite :) SC really needed there.