TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Three Rivers, Tx

Discussion in 'Texas' started by HillCountryFun, Aug 17, 2016.

1. HillCountryFun

All, Tesla updated its SuperCharger map today and there is now a "Coming Soon" site near Pleasanton, Tx!

I suspect it is already under construction!! We must find it!!

Go Tesla!

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. emupilot

emupilot Member

The gray pin is a little more southerly than Victoria, so I think it might be closer to Three Rivers or Oakville. I agree that a new gray pin is likely to mean a site that is well under construction.

3. emupilot

emupilot Member

...and here it is! I can't read the full article without subscribing, but the headline is

and the caption of the photo is

and the one line of the article I can read is

2645 S. Hwy 37, I-37 Exit 72, Three Rivers, TX 78071

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Who here came in thinking it was Pleasanton, CA and was disappointed? Congrats! TX needs as many SC as they can get.

• Funny x 1
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I've emailed Supercharge.info.

Can a mod please change the thread title to Supercharger - Three Rivers, TX (without or without the ", TX" depending on Texas forum stylee)?

• Like x 1
  6. HillCountryFun

Yep, I also sent link to Blueshift...agreed, MODS: Please rename. Thanks!!

7. HillCountryFun

Update!!!

I just got off of the phone with Brittney (sp?) at the Loves in Three Rivers and she has confirmed that the SuperCharger is already under construction! She says that they've been working on it for about a month and that it's not quite ready!!

If anyone is going to be in the area, please post pictures!!!

• Like x 1
  8. brkaus

brkaus Member

Nice. Makes Corpus less important for me!

• Informative x 1
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

So...

Three Rivers, TX.
    Interstates: I-37
    US Numbered Highways: US-281

I-37
    To: End (San Antonio, TX) - 70.9 miles
    Diversion: 1.3 miles
    To: San Marcos, TX (I-37, I-35) 110 miles
    To: Columbus, TX (TX-72, TX-792, TX-80, I-10) 162 miles
    To: Victoria, TX (I-37, US-59*) 93.0 miles

* That stretch of US-59 will be part of I-69W from Laredo, TX to Victoria, TX.

• Informative x 2
  10. brkaus

brkaus Member

Better order the S600D for that Casa Grande leg of the trip.

• Funny x 2
  11. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

Ha, two of my obsessions have collided and joined forces. You guys might be interested to know that this new location is about 215 miles from Boca Chica, thus perfectly placed for making the leap in a Tesla to the new launch facility that SpaceX has under construction there. Notably, this would be on the direct route from McGregor TX, where SpaceX maintains an increasingly busy rocket testing operation. Obviously a lot of SpaceX people are going to have an affinity for Tesla ownership.

There's not much to see at the Boca Chica site right now, since they just started construction, and in south Texas that means first "settling" the sandy soil for a long time (many months) before pouring concrete. But what they will be doing out there is going to be truly historic. Not only are they likely to be launching (and possibly landing) Falcon 9 rockets, but SpaceX is about to unveil their Mars plans, and the rocket is going to be HUGE, and possibly launched from Boca Chica. Listen for the news on September 27th ...

The NASAspaceflight.com forum (aka NSF) is furiously active with people all over the world (including lots of insiders) obsessing over spaceflight details, just like here at TMC. At NSF they have a "Level 2" (aka L2) subscription section where you can get access to even more insider info, and in breaking news situations you typically get the news there a couple hours before it goes public.

Here's the thread where they are monitoring the Boca Chica construction. One of the members even bought a property in the nearby village so he'll have a front row seat for the construction and subsequent launches. And is our ears on the ground:

SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 3

Another NSF example ... The ISS EVA this morning (spacewalk outside the space station) was thoroughly covered by the NSF community here, just like TMC-ers will slavishly follow the construction of new SC sites:

LIVE: US EVA-36 - August 19, 2016

The NSF main site has stories about what's happening in the business, often based on the information that's been gathered and discussed in the forums.

NASASpaceFlight.com

• Informative x 3
  12. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

so the next one would Kingsville, maybe?

13. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Perfectly placed? Not by itself it isn't, but it's the first step to South Texas. According to the Tesla map the next should be outside Corpus Christi (connecting to the Victoria supercharger on the way to Houston) and then cars heading south from both San Antonio and Houston would stop at the final supercharger in the Raymondville or Harlingen area.

14. Beryl

Beryl Member

I agree. It helps fill in the area but a SC -- at least as south as Harlingen -- would provide access to South Padre Island (Boca Chica) and Brownsville.

15. wart

wart Member

Construction confirmed! I visited today and took a couple of pictures.

Supercharger is in the northwest corner of the parking lot of the Love's Travel Stop.
    8 pedestals. None are nose in.
    Pedestals are up, cables are installed. I'm guessing the charging equipment is inside the wooden enclosure. There's a chain link fence around the construction area so I couldn't get too close.
    I see a concrete pad that looks like it needs a transformer.
    So I think as soon as the transformer is installed and powered up this one will be good to go.

Dining options:
    McDonald's and Subway attached to the Love's Travel Stop.
    Sonic drive in just a bit down the street.
    Van's BBQ across the highway from Sonic.

Lodging:
    Motel 6 right next to the Love's. Not sure why anyone would want to spend the night here anyway; just continue on to either San Antoinio or Corpus Christi depending on which direction you're headed.

There's some kind of construction going on between the Motel 6 and the Sonic. Looks like maybe another motel?

IMG_20160821_090004564.jpg IMG_20160821_090134417.jpg

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
  16. HillCountryFun

Thanks Wart!! Awesome job!!

Yep, looks like construction is basically complete with the exception of the transformer, streetlight and meter! Hopefully those will go in soon!!!

Thanks again for making the journey to investigate!!! There are three of us (all with Model S's) planning a trip down to Rockport in mid September and we sure are hoping this station is live by then!! :)

• Like x 1
  17. flyinghawaiian

This is awesome. It will allow us to do a day trip now using the Model S from SAT. Looks close to complete

18. spc

spc Member

Any new on the progress? can't wait to use it.
    Some more pictures? :)

19. MannyTx

MannyTx New Member

I passed by Friday on my way down to Corpus and the fence was gone. Local news in Corpus announced it had opened. Link below. Im a few months from getting my own Model S but having a supercharger on my weekly commute makes me want to pull the trigger now. :(

Tesla Supercharging Station open in Three Rivers

20. HillCountryFun

Great news!! Thanks!!