Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Three Rivers, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All, Tesla updated its SuperCharger map today and there is now a "Coming Soon" site near Pleasanton, Tx!

I suspect it is already under construction!! We must find it!!

Go Tesla!

The gray pin is a little more southerly than Victoria, so I think it might be closer to Three Rivers or Oakville. I agree that a new gray pin is likely to mean a site that is well under construction.

...and here it is! I can't read the full article without subscribing, but the headline is

Love's to add its first electric vehicle charging station just south of San Antonio

and the caption of the photo is

Love's Travel Stop off Interstate 37 in Three Rivers will soon be getting an electric…

and the one line of the article I can read is

Love's Travel Stop's proposed charging station will only accommodate Tesla vehicles.

2645 S. Hwy 37, I-37 Exit 72, Three Rivers, TX 78071

So...

Three Rivers, TX.
Interstates: I-37
US Numbered Highways: US-281

I-37
To: End (San Antonio, TX) - 70.9 miles
Diversion: 1.3 miles
To: San Marcos, TX (I-37, I-35) 110 miles
To: Columbus, TX (TX-72, TX-792, TX-80, I-10) 162 miles
To: Victoria, TX (I-37, US-59*) 93.0 miles

* That stretch of US-59 will be part of I-69W from Laredo, TX to Victoria, TX.

Ha, two of my obsessions have collided and joined forces. You guys might be interested to know that this new location is about 215 miles from Boca Chica, thus perfectly placed for making the leap in a Tesla to the new launch facility that SpaceX has under construction there. Notably, this would be on the direct route from McGregor TX, where SpaceX maintains an increasingly busy rocket testing operation. Obviously a lot of SpaceX people are going to have an affinity for Tesla ownership.

There's not much to see at the Boca Chica site right now, since they just started construction, and in south Texas that means first "settling" the sandy soil for a long time (many months) before pouring concrete. But what they will be doing out there is going to be truly historic. Not only are they likely to be launching (and possibly landing) Falcon 9 rockets, but SpaceX is about to unveil their Mars plans, and the rocket is going to be HUGE, and possibly launched from Boca Chica. Listen for the news on September 27th ...

The NASAspaceflight.com forum (aka NSF) is furiously active with people all over the world (including lots of insiders) obsessing over spaceflight details, just like here at TMC. At NSF they have a "Level 2" (aka L2) subscription section where you can get access to even more insider info, and in breaking news situations you typically get the news there a couple hours before it goes public.

Here's the thread where they are monitoring the Boca Chica construction. One of the members even bought a property in the nearby village so he'll have a front row seat for the construction and subsequent launches. And is our ears on the ground:

SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 3

Another NSF example ... The ISS EVA this morning (spacewalk outside the space station) was thoroughly covered by the NSF community here, just like TMC-ers will slavishly follow the construction of new SC sites:

LIVE: US EVA-36 - August 19, 2016

The NSF main site has stories about what's happening in the business, often based on the information that's been gathered and discussed in the forums.

NASASpaceFlight.com

Ha, two of my obsessions have collided and joined forces. You guys might be interested to know that this new location is about 215 miles from Boca Chica, thus perfectly placed for making the leap in a Tesla to the new launch facility that SpaceX has under construction
Perfectly placed? Not by itself it isn't, but it's the first step to South Texas. According to the Tesla map the next should be outside Corpus Christi (connecting to the Victoria supercharger on the way to Houston) and then cars heading south from both San Antonio and Houston would stop at the final supercharger in the Raymondville or Harlingen area.

Perfectly placed? Not by itself it isn't, but it's the first step to South Texas. According to the Tesla map the next should be outside Corpus Christi (connecting to the Victoria supercharger on the way to Houston) and then cars heading south from both San Antonio and Houston would stop at the final supercharger in the Raymondville or Harlingen area.
I agree. It helps fill in the area but a SC -- at least as south as Harlingen -- would provide access to South Padre Island (Boca Chica) and Brownsville.

Construction confirmed! I visited today and took a couple of pictures.

Supercharger is in the northwest corner of the parking lot of the Love's Travel Stop.
8 pedestals. None are nose in.
Pedestals are up, cables are installed. I'm guessing the charging equipment is inside the wooden enclosure. There's a chain link fence around the construction area so I couldn't get too close.
I see a concrete pad that looks like it needs a transformer.
So I think as soon as the transformer is installed and powered up this one will be good to go.

Dining options:
McDonald's and Subway attached to the Love's Travel Stop.
Sonic drive in just a bit down the street.
Van's BBQ across the highway from Sonic.

Lodging:
Motel 6 right next to the Love's. Not sure why anyone would want to spend the night here anyway; just continue on to either San Antoinio or Corpus Christi depending on which direction you're headed.

There's some kind of construction going on between the Motel 6 and the Sonic. Looks like maybe another motel?

IMG_20160821_090004564.jpg IMG_20160821_090134417.jpg

Construction confirmed! I visited today and took a couple of pictures.

Supercharger is in the northwest corner of the parking lot of the Love's Travel Stop.
8 pedestals. None are nose in.
Pedestals are up, cables are installed. I'm guessing the charging equipment is inside the wooden enclosure. There's a chain link fence around the construction area so I couldn't get too close.
I see a concrete pad that looks like it needs a transformer.
So I think as soon as the transformer is installed and powered up this one will be good to go.

Dining options:
McDonald's and Subway attached to the Love's Travel Stop.
Sonic drive in just a bit down the street.
Van's BBQ across the highway from Sonic.

Lodging:
Motel 6 right next to the Love's. Not sure why anyone would want to spend the night here anyway; just continue on to either San Antoinio or Corpus Christi depending on which direction you're headed.

There's some kind of construction going on between the Motel 6 and the Sonic. Looks like maybe another motel?

View attachment 190955 View attachment 190956

Thanks Wart!! Awesome job!!

Yep, looks like construction is basically complete with the exception of the transformer, streetlight and meter! Hopefully those will go in soon!!!

Thanks again for making the journey to investigate!!! There are three of us (all with Model S's) planning a trip down to Rockport in mid September and we sure are hoping this station is live by then!! :)

Reactions: BerTX