Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tonopah, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of today, 6/1

image.jpeg

A warning to those going north on 95 to Hawthorne, NV charger - 95 is closed for road work as of 6-18-20, length of closure unknown. Full closure with detour. Plan on adding at least 25 miles more than normal to make the trip.
There was major damage on US 95 in this area with the recent earthquake so maybe they are fixing that. It was completely impassible for a day or two after the quake.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz
Used this today and Tuesday: a nice setup including picnic tables under shade. I left Baker, NV with 97% driving the speed limit and made it to here at 5%. Charged to 97% and then drove the 6 to the 120 through Yosemite and down to Turlock, CA with 20% left. That’s 275 miles and 6 hours of driving through curves, hills, and mountains at the speed limit on one charge: not bad at all.

Reactions: IdaX
Used this today and Tuesday: a nice setup including picnic tables under shade. I left Baker, NV with 97% driving the speed limit and made it to here at 5%. Charged to 97% and then drove the 6 to the 120 through Yosemite and down to Turlock, CA with 20% left. That’s 275 miles and 6 hours of driving through curves, hills, and mountains at the speed limit on one charge: not bad at all.
I'm guessing you mean Baker, California, but if so, I'm not sure why you didn't stop for a quick top off at the supercharger in Beatty. By the way, elevation played a huge role in the two legs you describe:

Baker- 928ft
Tonopah- 6017ft
Turlock- 102ft

I'm guessing you mean Baker, California, but if so, I'm not sure why you didn't stop for a quick top off at the supercharger in Beatty. By the way, elevation played a huge role in the two legs you describe:

Baker- 928ft
Tonopah- 6017ft
Turlock- 102ft
It was Baker, NV which is right at about the Utah border and near Great Basin National Park. The elevation there is about 5300 feet. It’s about 230 miles or so from Tonopah.

Reactions: IdaX
It was Baker, NV which is right at about the Utah border and near Great Basin National Park. The elevation there is about 5300 feet. It’s about 230 miles or so from Tonopah.
Nice. That sounds like a GREAT trip. I actually went through there last year on an out and back to Great Basin NP from the supercharger in Beaver, UT. Similar degree of difficulty. Gotta love the desolate desert roads. Saw some wild horse roadkill on that drive :-(

• Love
Reactions: 1100MCM
Nice. That sounds like a GREAT trip. I actually went through there last year on an out and back to Great Basin NP from the supercharger in Beaver, UT. Similar degree of difficulty. Gotta love the desolate desert roads. Saw some wild horse roadkill on that drive :-(
Yes! I didn’t realize what a low key gem Great Basin NP is. I did see a Model Y and a couple of other 3’s so it’s doable. This is one of the few huge gaps without SCs in the west and it would be filled in perfectly with a supercharger in Ely. I don’t think it’s in the plans for Tesla but it would sure remove some of the stress from travels in the lonelier sections of Nevada on the 6 or the 50.

For now it’s either stay at one of the RV/motel sites with the NEMA 14-50 outlets which is what I did or like you did, make it a round trip from one of the Utah superchargers.

Yes! I didn’t realize what a low key gem Great Basin NP is. I did see a Model Y and a couple of other 3’s so it’s doable. This is one of the few huge gaps without SCs in the west and it would be filled in perfectly with a supercharger in Ely. I don’t think it’s in the plans for Tesla but it would sure remove some of the stress from travels in the lonelier sections of Nevada on the 6 or the 50.

For now it’s either stay at one of the RV/motel sites with the NEMA 14-50 outlets which is what I did or like you did, make it a round trip from one of the Utah superchargers.
There's a 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS station in Ely that's nominally operational and run by Greenlots, but Plugshare checkins by Tesla owners show no successful CHAdeMO charges on it yet. So, assuming that eventually gets fixed people who have a CHAdeMO adapter should have less trouble. The station was installed within the last six months as part of Nevada's Electric Highways project. There's also a level 2 EVCS with J1772 plug there, so even if you can't get the DC charging to work, there's at least some available juice to continue on your way.

Great Basin NP is possible (although limiting) without some charging in Ely or Baker, NV. Went there this weekend, data points below:

-2019 Raven Model X (325mi rated w/ 3% degradation gives us 316mi at 100% charge)
-100% charge in Beaver, UT, arrived at Baker Creek Campground w/ 52% (driving 65mph speed limit the whole way w/ A/C on 95deg day)
-Turned off Sentry Mode & Cabin Overheat Protection at campsite; battery had 51% after 2 days of being locked & not opened
-Made it back to Beaver w/ 15% (again 65mph, A/C the whole way, 95deg day)

Pros:
- GBNP is do-able with minimal stress
- No cell service means your car isn't being polled by mobile access and wasting energy

Cons:
- Not much spare energy to drive around to hikes, gift shop, getting more ice for the cooler in Baker, etc
- Can't really use the car for storage, because every time you unlock/open the car, it wakes up the computers and burns energy
- Probably only had 1 trip up to Wheeler Peak total; would need a bump in charge in Ely/Baker to make it anywhere if you did more than that
- Tried charging from a propane generator (just for kicks) but was unable; suspect the power is too dirty so the car wouldn't accept the charge