Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Topeka, KS - Topeka Service Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged using the CCS adapter at the ChargePoint DCFC units at the Topeka service area a couple weeks ago. 38.1 kWh, $6.23.
Evergy (local electric company, formerly Westar before a merger) has installed public EV charging locations at their Operations Centers around the state (a couple in Wichita as well as several towns in the local area. When I had the Leaf, I used these for opportunity charging. They’ve been adding charging stations at other locations around the area (the zoo, Wichita State University) and these have had the atypical 15 cnet/kWh charging costs (usually much higher when a company charges for the electricity. As they have added DCFC to their network (the CHAdeMO/CCS stations at Kansas Turnpike Service Areas), they have maintained this low cost. They can more easily do this as the electric provider by just eating the demand charge and not having to pass that on to the consumer.
FYI construction has started on this one as well as the Lawerence one.
That’s good to hear. Since construction had started at both Towanda (just NE of Wichita) and Lawrence, I was wondering about this location as well. These 3 were the only ones that were marked on the Tesla FindUs page as coming soon. wonder if anyone has recently driven the whole Turnpike and visually checked for construction at the other Service Areas on the Turnpike.

@Chuq @corywright

As reported earlier, construction is underway…

8C3FB07A-7DF2-4654-B600-9A72E0E3F521.jpeg

EE4F100B-2E01-4CD1-8401-AC8CF9443E0B.jpeg

Fairly tight quarters right by the gas pumps, but on the other side of the pumps from the building, so minimal risk of being ICEd.

Received this morning from the Kansas Turnpike:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 2, 2022

New electric vehicle charging stations open on Kansas Turnpike

WICHITA, Kan.— Just in time for the holiday weekend, three Tesla Supercharging stations have opened at service areas along the Kansas Turnpike:
  • Lawrence Service Area (Mile Marker 209, I-70/KTA)
  • Topeka Service Area (Mile Marker 188, I-70/KTA)
  • Towanda Service Area (Mile Marker 65, I-35/KTA)
Located adjacent to the service areas buildings, the new Tesla Superchargers stations will help Tesla drivers stay charged anywhere. There are at eight Superchargers available at the Topeka and Towanda service areas, and 12 available at the Lawrence service area.
“We began making electric vehicle charging available in 2019 based upon feedback received in our annual customer satisfaction survey,” said Steve Hewitt, KTA’s Chief Executive Officer. “We’re excited for these Superchargers to become a reality for our Tesla vehicle customers.”
###
Editor’s Note: Photos of new station available in this album.
About KTA:
For 65 years, the Kansas Turnpike Authority (KTA) maintains 236 miles of user-fee supported roadway from the Oklahoma border to Kansas City. KTA doesn’t receive state or federal tax funds. Instead, toll revenue pays for preservation and modernization of the Turnpike system. KTA’s Strategic Plan supports organizational goals with four strategic initiatives, including a transition to cashless tolling in 2024. KTA’s mission is to move Kansas forward by operating a safe, reliable and customer-valued turnpike system in a fiscally responsible, businesslike manner.
For more information, contact:
Rachel Bell | Director of Business Services & Customer Relations
316.652.2673 | [email protected]

@PLUS EV confirmed yesterday that both of the new Supercharger sites at the Towanda and Topeka Service Areas on the Turnpike are open and operational.