Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Topeka, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm headed through Topeka on my way out to Colorado this weekend and if by some stroke of luck this is open for use, it would save me from an hour of L2 charging to get the 20ish buffer miles I need to make it to the Salina supercharger. I planned on calling the Arby's to see if one of the employees could give me a status update but if anyone has further info on progress, it would be much appreciated.

It looks like the Topeka supercharger is getting closer to being completed! All I have is this single photo that my son took today.
IMG_0621.JPG

You can see them installing the second bank of 4 Superchargers on the West side of the properties. They've got the fence around the transformers/ inverters almost done. I didn't want to get in the way, so I didn't check what was going on in the trenches.
20141006_122935.jpg
20141006_122946.jpg
20141006_122957.jpg

You can see them installing the second bank of 4 Superchargers on the West side of the properties. They've got the fence around the transformers/ inverters almost done. I didn't want to get in the way, so I didn't check what was going on in the trenches.

Thanks very much for the pictures and progress report!

The parts inside the fence are the Supercharger Cabinets and the Distribution Center (a giant Circuit Breaker Panel). The Utility Transformer will go outside the fence. Here is an annotated picture of the Supercharger Site in Blanding, UT, and a simplified diagram of how Supercharger Sites are connected. In Topeka, there are 4 Supercharger Cabinets connected to the Distribution Center and each Supercharger Cabinet will energize 2 Charging Pedestals (Stations) each for a total of 8 Charging Pedestals.

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

Supercharger Connections.png

You probably already figured this out, but it's not quite ready yet. Here's a few more pictures showing progress.
20141010_172948~2.jpg

Cottonwood thanks for the pictures. Hadn't noticed their specific placement of the transformer. Looks like this one is closer to the Westward charging stations. Your comments got me wondering where the inversion process occurred. Found it's in the Supercharger.
supercharger 1line.jpg

Last edited:
You probably already figured this out, but it's not quite ready yet. Here's a few more pictures showing progress.

Cottonwood thanks for the pictures. Hadn't noticed their specific placement of the transformer. Looks like this one is closer to the Westward charging stations. Your comments got me wondering where the inversion process occurred. Found it's in the Supercharger.

Yup, the Supercharger Cabinet (or just Supercharger) does the AC to DC conversion for charging the DC batteries (technically not inversion*). Based on what the car needs, and the car tells the Supercharger to produce, the Supercharger puts out a controlled charge power. I am not sure if the car requests a specific power, Voltage, or current, but the car telling the Supercharger what the max current it can accept makes the most sense. Then the Supercharger will feed that requested current or the most it can produce, whichever is less, and feed it to the car.

For J1772/HPWC/UMC charging, the pilot signal is a simple Voltage/resistance analog handshake. For the Supercharger mode, that changes to a bidirectional, digital, serial-data interface for the car and Supercharger to communicate.

*An inverter inverts DC electricity to AC (Alternating Current) electricity, but not the other way. See Power inverter - Wikipedia for more info.

A friend who lives in Topeka talked to the crew on Friday, and they said they are waiting for a part and should be complete on Tuesday. I expect to be passing through town later in the week and will report if someone else doesn't get there sooner.

I know it's mundane to "watch charging", but I'd love to come see it in use if you wanted to give a heads up when you're headed to Top City. Would like to document one of the first charges on it (post commissioning by Tesla and contractors).

A friend who lives in Topeka talked to the crew on Friday, and they said they are waiting for a part and should be complete on Tuesday. I expect to be passing through town later in the week and will report if someone else doesn't get there sooner.

Watching charging does sound a lot like watching water boil.

I think we had 10 or 11 owners at the grand opening in Normal, so you are not alone in your excitement/nerdiness. :) 3 from St Louis(-ish), one from Bloomington, and 6 or 7 from Chicago.

We had lunch across the street and monitored charging from our phones so everybody was able to charge by periodically sending somebody back to rotate cars.

I headed down there a few minutes ago and it looks like they're mainly cleaning up and put in the small amount of landscaping. They'd just bought some mulch and shrubs at the Home Depot in the same parking lot. The parking spots themselves have the construction fencing pulled back from them. It didn't appear anyone was working on electrical stuff at this point.

20141014_121407.jpg
20141014_121411.jpg