Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Topeka, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I headed down there a few minutes ago and it looks like they're mainly cleaning up and put in the small amount of landscaping. They'd just bought some mulch and shrubs at the Home Depot in the same parking lot. The parking spots themselves have the construction fencing pulled back from them. It didn't appear anyone was working on electrical stuff at this point.

Thanks for the continued scouting.

Is there any sign of a new transformer or transformer pad? In the first picture, it looks like there is something to the right of the enclosure in front of the Arby's exit sign.

241.2 miles from Nixa, MO to Topeka...I could probably add a couple of hours and top up in Kansas City on the way up and maybe again on the way back for the Grand Opening. Still really need something a tad closer to home to make the trip with confidence.

Well, Independence, MO and Columbia, MO are on the way; the questions is when... Looks like they will be on your routes west and east from Nixa.

I had to look Nixa up, but I rode my bicycle through that area on US-60 many, many years ago on my way from San Diego to Washington, D.C. We were doing about 150 miles a day through there...blurry memories...

Yeah, thats the transformer.

hmmm...looks too small; what I can make out looks like a box covering the conduits ready for a transformer. The transformer for this site will probably have some markings on it that include "480 Volts" and "500 kVA" and be 4-5 feet tall; maybe it's there and I can't make it out. A connected transformer is a key for completion, and is usually the last thing to happen. How responsive is your local electric utility?

I should be passing through Topeka on Thursday between 3 and 4, so I will see if I can get any juice--my first opportunity for a DC charge. I'll be looking forward to the grand opening too. Evan, if you need a top off in KC on your way to Topeka, there are several good(40A) locations on Plugshare, plus an HPWC just east of Mission Hills and my JuiceBox(50A) just west of Mission Hills--would enjoy meeting you after reading your posts here and on the Toyota hybrid forum for several years.

Because a picture is often worth far more than a thousand words, and I rode my bike by the Xcel Energy equipment yard in Boulder, here are some pictures of a transformer like the one that should be in Topeka or coming soon. The transformer to the left is 750 kVA, 120/208V; in the back you can see the cooling fins that all of these larger transformers have.

My bicycle is in the first picture for scale; the outside diameter of those wheels is about 27 inches. The second picture shows how these transformers are typically labeled. This is the size typically used for an 8-stall Supercharger Site, 500 kVA: 277/480 Volts. Maybe this one will be on its way to the new Denver Supercharger Site soon...but I assume that Xcel has another equipment yard closer to the Denver Site.

Transformer-1.JPG

Transformer-2.JPG

Happy Transformer Hunting!!!

Perhaps it got lost in the discusisons above, but the transformer can be seen in the most recent picture on the right. Also I went down and talked to the installers yesterday evening and they had a Model S out charging. I asked if they were commissioning and testing things. They indicated they were and that it should be done today as soon as they clean up and pick up some stuff.

Because a picture is often worth far more than a thousand words, and I rode my bike by the Xcel Energy equipment yard in Boulder, here are some pictures of a transformer like the one that should be in Topeka or coming soon. The transformer to the left is 750 kVA, 120/208V; in the back you can see the cooling fins that all of these larger transformers have.

My bicycle is in the first picture for scale; the outside diameter of those wheels is about 27 inches. The second picture shows how these transformers are typically labeled. This is the size typically used for an 8-stall Supercharger Site, 500 kVA: 277/480 Volts. Maybe this one will be on its way to the new Denver Supercharger Site soon...but I assume that Xcel has another equipment yard closer to the Denver Site.

Happy Transformer Hunting!!!

Perhaps it got lost in the discusisons above, but the transformer can be seen in the most recent picture on the right. Also I went down and talked to the installers yesterday evening and they had a Model S out charging. I asked if they were commissioning and testing things. They indicated they were and that it should be done today as soon as they clean up and pick up some stuff.

Great news! Sorry for my confusion.

If Tesla can get moving on Independence, MO and Columbia, MO soon, then I-70 from Denver to St Louis will be complete!

I hope so. Missouri is surely the largest state by population and by number of Model S that doesn't yet have a single Supercharger. Columbia is particularly important for Kansas City to St. Louis, a very frequent trip.
Yep.
If they made me king of the Superchargers I would put a total of 6 in MO. The KC/Independence, Columbia, STL, Fort Leonard Wood, Joplin & Jefferson City. Travel within and through the state to almost all other major cities and destinations would be a piece of cake.

So far, we have zero. I could even live with just 4--the 3 on I-70 and one in Springfield, but that wouldn't be an ideal spot for the trip across the state on I-44.

Re size of transformers - it seems that the 'SC size' transformer is rather common. Restaurants and Convenience Stores etc all have roughly the same size units the difference being in the number of cooling fins for the oil. Some only have a few fins but the SCs have max number of fins. Get warm to touch but never hot.
--

Stopped by the Arby's/Topeka Supercharger on our way from Nixa to Colorado. Timing was good for lunch and I wanted to see what was there and where the charger was. Not a bad location, but not exactly immediately off of I-70 either. A TON of great services nearby.

There were no Tesla's charging when we arrived. I am driving a Chevy Suburban for this trip, so couldn't take advantage. I did take the opportunity to have lunch at Arby's and the district manager happened to be there, so I was sure to thank her for supporting Tesla and the Superchargers. She had just seen a Tesla once but was really impressed and seemed excited to be participating in the Supercharger network.

I haven’t seen any photos of anyone charging in Topeka yet, so I thought I should finally get around to memorializing the opening with this one, taken when I passed through the afternoon of October 16. The workers were still there cleaning up, as can be seen in the background. I’ve never posted a photo on here before now, so I apologize if it is way small or way big...or invisible. I’ve charged there several times since then and have only seen one other Tesla there(a couple of weeks ago); he left before I finished letting the dog out, so I didn’t get to talk to him, but he had a Nebraska tag. It’s possible I’ve doubled my Tesla miles per month since this critical Supercharger opened.

I haven’t heard about any event to celebrate the opening—maybe we should have a get-together in the spring—an Arby’s/Tesla picnic.

TopekaSpCg.jpg

I haven’t heard about any event to celebrate the opening—maybe we should have a get-together in the spring—an Arby’s/Tesla picnic.

Right now, this connects toward the West only.

When a couple more Superchargers (two in OK, one in Kansas City, one in Central MO and one near St. Louis) get installed, I plan to travel thru KS over to St. Louis to visit some relatives.
Expect this location to get used a lot more as it connects the I-70 belt across America to St. Louis and into IL.

I have charged here once and it was also empty, but t was very early on a Saturday morning. good location with Starbucks and others nearby, I agree it will get more use when they finish i70 and also when i35 is connected. Go Tesla!