Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen it suggested elsewhere on the forums that pull in SC may reduce ICEing. Makes sense to me.
tinm thanks for the pictures. I hop it was an enjoyable drive. Glad to hear Las Vegas NM is underway.

Whew what a drive. Took a wee bit more time than I expected. Crews had shut down I-25 N in the Raton Pass to do "rock scaling," which I figured out meant, guys climbing the sheer rock faces of cliffs along the road, and using tools to push teetering boulders down to the edge of the freeway in a (hopefully) controlled fall, as it were. Some boulders the size of Ford Econoline vans were strewn along the shoulder.

Trinidad being open is just peachy. And, for drivers coming from New Mexico, it's not really Trinidad, it's before Trinidad in a little spot of nowhere called Starkville, CO, population 59. I like the Trinidad SC because the superchargers are way way way distanced from any normal civilian activity: the Shell and the Wendy's are a good distance, and the nearby hotel, well, not worried at all about ICEing from them. In fact I suspect Trinidad will have very little in the ICE department; if there are ICE incidents, they're gonna be deliberate, is my guess.

For the record, Tesla's email to folks today announcing the opening of Trinidad shows a pretty photo that is most definitely not Trinidad. Ain't no trees around Trinidad. Here's Tesla's email:

tsc-TRINIDAD-mail.png

And here are some final photos from today's recon mission:

tsc-TRINIDAD-00.png

tsc-TRINIDAD-01.png

tsc-TRINIDAD-02.png

tsc-TRINIDAD-03.jpg

tsc-TRINIDAD-04.png

tsc-TRINIDAD-05.png

And a panorama, that the TMC web software couldn't handle at 63MB so here's a shrunken down version:
tsc-TRINIDAD-06pano.png

p.s. if you found any of this useful, please consider sending me some reputation points. I added hundreds of miles to the car today, something I really cringe at doing :) A few points goes a long way to encouraging future photo recon missions! Thnx

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
For the record, Tesla's email to folks today announcing the opening of Trinidad shows a pretty photo that is most definitely not Trinidad. Ain't no trees around Trinidad. Here's Tesla's email:

That looks remarkably like the North Houston and Oklahoma City Superchargers! In reality, that's the Columbus, TX Supercharger -- Tesla uses it as a stock photo.

p.s. if you found any of this useful, please consider sending me some reputation points. I added hundreds of miles to the car today, something I really cringe at doing :) A few points goes a long way to encouraging future photo recon missions! Thnx
Done! and thanks for the trip & pictures. Let us know how much you're out for gas... :rolleyes:

(Follow-up: Well, I guess I have to upvote someone else before I can hit you again)

Last edited:
lol, yes, I've upvoted 5 folks in this thread since giving tim the original upvote, and the forum software claims I still need to spread the rep elsewhere before giving anymore to Tinm. Why the aversion to adding miles to the S, Tinm, depreciation on such a high-end vehicle?

lol, yes, I've upvoted 5 folks in this thread since giving tim the original upvote, and the forum software claims I still need to spread the rep elsewhere before giving anymore to Tinm. Why the aversion to adding miles to the S, Tinm, depreciation on such a high-end vehicle?

I'm cringing on how many miles I'm adding to the car because I'm way over what I planned for the 2nd year anniversary. Was hoping to be right at 24K miles at end of August. I am as of today around 28950 :)

And yes, they have been wonderful miles. It's as fun to drive this car now as it was 2 years ago. It really is crazy. Need something dropped off at post office? No prob. Need some quick things at the grocery store? No prob. Need me to go to Albuquerque to pick something up? Done. Take car to get service 9 hours away in Scottsdale? No prob. Hell, some days I wish that delivery service that Bjorn uses in Norway were popular in the US. I might be delivering every weekend.

And now Trinidad is open. Colorado beckons. Gulp.

Nothing like the coolness of the Colorado mountains during the middle of Summer heat.
Might be well worth the trip as a mini-vacation to refresh your spirits.
You bet. Supposed to be 97 in Denver today. Back seats are down (and never ceases to amaze me how much space that creates), bike is in the back, bags in the frunk and I'm heading up to Summit Co. for a couple of days.

Nothing like the coolness of the Colorado mountains during the middle of Summer heat.
Might be well worth the trip as a mini-vacation to refresh your spirits.

All kinds of this. It's supposed to get to 107F by the end of the week, here in Dallas. Colorado is great this time of year :)

Once the girls start school (distance learning) I bet we're going to drive up there. We just got back from a great trip to Des Moines on nothing but Superchargers and that was before OKC came online!

Now that the Trinidad charger is open, Colorado Springs is a possible destination for New Mexico and Texas travelers. I live in The Springs, we're a friendly town. If Tesla owners travel to a town, do you try to contact other owners at your destination? Maybe for charging information (like HPWC's)?

I'll be doing a full range charge at the Trinidad supercharger tomorrow. I'm heading down to the sand dunes for the weekend and this is the most logical place to stop and charge, even though it's out of the way. To make it back to Denver, I'm going to park it overnight at a campsite with 50amp hookup. There's several close by that aren't listed on PlugShare yet. I'll also use a CHAdeMO plug at a friendly Nissan dealer in CO Springs, if necessary.

In summary, that Pueblo charger sure would be nice!

I'll be doing a full range charge at the Trinidad supercharger tomorrow. I'm heading down to the sand dunes for the weekend and this is the most logical place to stop and charge, even though it's out of the way. To make it back to Denver, I'm going to park it overnight at a campsite with 50amp hookup. There's several close by that aren't listed on PlugShare yet. I'll also use a CHAdeMO plug at a friendly Nissan dealer in CO Springs, if necessary.

In summary, that Pueblo charger sure would be nice!

Consider Woods High Mountain Distillery | Salida, CO | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare, either out or back. They have a 70 Amp J1772 outlet at a full 240 Volts, are very friendly, and Downtown Salida is a great place to hang out.

The route though the Mountains is very pretty!

Enjoy your trip!