Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Brockway Road (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'm taking your advice and getting a 14-50 installed at the house, found a local guy in SLT to do it for $450 which seemed reasonable-ish and worth the not having to stress about what I'm going to do for power once up there.

I have an 85D and have never driven up there in the winter, how are the roads and is it doable in a Tesla? All I see are pretty weathered looking 4-Runners up there. My wife has an Audi SUV but I sure would love to take the Tesla since it's such a great road-trip car.
I live in North Lake Tahoe and my 85D is awesome in snow (Pirelli winter tires). I literally cannot make it slip.

3 of 8 spots ICEd. Two of them are in Tesla only spots, and the other is in a 30 minute general parking spot (this location has 4 of each type)
RFzdUi6.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I know you are supposed to be kind and gently educate the parking car that they are taking an electric spot.

The not-nice part of me wants to get a sheet of those security stickers that once on are a bear to get off and put one on their windshield saying "EV PARKING ONLY" and find happiness knowing that it's going to take them a bunch of time with goo-gone with a razor blade to get it off so they have time to relfect on what they have done.

Reactions: FlyF4
While charging, I saw several van towing trailers full of kayaks go through the parking lot. It appears this lot may be pickup point for rafters. The parking lot was basically full, so these folks helped them selves to the Tesla spots.

I've seen one or two spots iced at this location before, but 3 is a new high for me.

The problem is that the nearby supercharger in Truckee behind Safeway only puts out 40-50kw for me even if I'm the only car there. The last time, I tried every stall and got a crappy rate on each. At least at Brockway today, the rate was over 100kW to start.

While charging, I saw several van towing trailers full of kayaks go through the parking lot. It appears this lot may be pickup point for rafters. The parking lot was basically full, so these folks helped them selves to the Tesla spots.

I've seen one or two spots iced at this location before, but 3 is a new high for me.

The problem is that the nearby supercharger in Truckee behind Safeway only puts out 40-50kw for me even if I'm the only car there. The last time, I tried every stall and got a crappy rate on each. At least at Brockway today, the rate was over 100kW to start.
Charged at the Safeway Truckee charger today... 117kW. Only one other car there.

Brockway? Are they calling Truckee Brockway now? Not as far from the actual place as the "Gardnerville" SC that is actually 25 miles away at Topaz Lake.

Charged 2 weekends ago at the Safeway Supercharger in Truckee, only one other car and got <80kW. I tried multiple stalls. I finally gave up and just charged enough to make it to Rocklin (which was pretty easy because of the downhill route). That's my second bad experience at the Truckee charger, I think next time I'll try Brockway.

charged here sunday 9/24... about 3pm... 2 spots ice'd.. one in the general, one in the tesla only. the one with the tesla only had the driver in it, and they were waiting for someone. that someone pulled in right next to them for 10 min in another tesla only spot. after the 2nd left, the first stayed.. and was there when i left in 25 min

what's annoying is that there was PLENTY of parking in the lot on a sunday afternoon.

got 95kw

I know you are supposed to be kind and gently educate the parking car that they are taking an electric spot.

The not-nice part of me wants to get a sheet of those security stickers that once on are a bear to get off and put one on their windshield saying "EV PARKING ONLY" and find happiness knowing that it's going to take them a bunch of time with goo-gone with a razor blade to get it off so they have time to relfect on what they have done.

Need an EV version of these stickers:

Odd charging at the Truckee Brockway charger yesterday.
This was marked as "Reduced Service" in the nav system. We were returning from Reno and wanted to stop at a restaurant nearby for dinner. Only had 28 miles when arrived.
The charger stands were all free except for one Tesla S which was parked wrong way in and was just using it as a parking spot. (Ugh!)
I plugged in and the charging screen showed 0 kW and 0 mi/hr charging. However, the miles added was creeping up slowly. (Tried another stand and the same result.) We went to dinner. I figured worst case I would get a few extra miles to make it over the Brockway pass to home. Because of the poor cell service, I wasn't able to check on the charging during dinner (a fact my wife appreciated).
Surprise when we returned to the car an hour later. It was (almost) fully charged.
I assume that there was something strange going on with the charge station since it was marked reduced service. However, it could have been my car but I've never seen that behavior before. It always charges at a high rate from the start when in a low charge state. Battery should have been warm enough since we just drove up the hill from Reno.
Anyway... had a good dinner and a good charge session.

Reactions: McManX