Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Donner Pass Rd. (LIVE Aug 2014, 11 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014-06-18: I have now heard that Truckee is toward the top of the list of upcoming sites. Would make sense that they want it done during summer weather. If anyone is up there in the next month, drive by the site and look for crates/switchgear.
2014-06-20: Gigafactory in NV perhaps? Top of the upcoming SC list, but still does not appear on the Supercharger Map? Humm...
Truckee site opens 2014-08-26. Nevada Gigafactory Announcement due 2014-09-04. So, now we know! Awesome!

Last edited:
Photos of Truckee CA supercharger area.
P1010323.JPG
P1010322.JPG
P1010328.JPG

P1010317.JPG
P1010312.JPG
P1010313.JPG

P1010319.JPG

Went to Truckee SC last Monday on my way up to Graeagle. As I was charging I guy walked up to his MS a couple of slots down. He wandered over and we started chatting. During the conversation he mentioned he worked for Tesla and his name was O'Connell. My ears perked up. Asked what he did there, and he said he was involved in business development, superchargers etc. I immediately jumped on that by asking what the deal was on Indio's delay. I'm not sure he even knew where Indio was which seemed odd. Nice chap, and he left. Yesterday I was reading an article in the Huff Post and who should be quoted in an article on the the new GigaFactory, but Diarmuid O’Connell, vice president of business development for Tesla. He indicated that there will be a SC opened every day until the end of the year!? Expect we'll see a steady flow of Tesla folk at the Truckee SC going to/from Sparks.

Yes indeed, Truckee SC was built in record short time (kudos to the Truckee Donner Planning Commission & PUD!), and opened 3 days before the California Legislature broke without a decision, and 9 days before the Gigafactory was announced in Nevada.
Congratulations to Nevada, the "Let's get it done" state.

... Expect we'll see a steady flow of Tesla folk at the Truckee SC going to/from Sparks.

It seems like the drive between Fremont and Sparks is just a hair outside the range of a Model S/85. A shame since the drive from Truckee to Reno is all down hill. I wonder how soon it would be for, say, a 100 kw version to come out. That way Teslas minions could drive between the two plants on a single charge.

It seems like the drive between Fremont and Sparks is just a hair outside the range of a Model S/85. A shame since the drive from Truckee to Reno is all down hill. I wonder how soon it would be for, say, a 100 kw version to come out. That way Teslas minions could drive between the two plants on a single charge.
But then we wouldn't have anyone interesting to chat-up while charging up there.:wink:

Wow, what a stroke of luck to get to talk to Diarmuid! Nice that he took the initiative to come over and chat with you. I wonder if he was on his way to Sparks for some thing in relation to the Gigafactory.

Great news that SCs will be coming online at a fast clip for the rest of the year.

Went to Truckee SC last Monday on my way up to Graeagle. As I was charging I guy walked up to his MS a couple of slots down. He wandered over and we started chatting. During the conversation he mentioned he worked for Tesla and his name was O'Connell. My ears perked up. Asked what he did there, and he said he was involved in business development, superchargers etc. I immediately jumped on that by asking what the deal was on Indio's delay. I'm not sure he even knew where Indio was which seemed odd. Nice chap, and he left. Yesterday I was reading an article in the Huff Post and who should be quoted in an article on the the new GigaFactory, but Diarmuid O’Connell, vice president of business development for Tesla. He indicated that there will be a SC opened every day until the end of the year!? Expect we'll see a steady flow of Tesla folk at the Truckee SC going to/from Sparks.

But then we wouldn't have anyone interesting to chat-up while charging up there.:wink:

Well, there is that. :)

It is so close that, according to evtripplanner, the return trip should be doable in one charge with a S/85. Reno being about 4300' elevation and Fremont of course is at sea level. Not sure how evtripplanner takes into account the climb up to Truckee and then Donner Pass though.

Stopped at this SC yesterday and there were workmen installing a surveillance camera on a post near the transformer.
This area is behind the store near the Safeway loading dock and sometimes there are dodgy characters lurking there so it is good to see that there will be some surveillance.

Yes, sometimes I have seen what looks like someone camping in their car. Glad to see camera's going in, wonder where the other Truckee sc will be.
The second Truckee Supercharger has been live for quite a while now. It's located on the other side of town close to Rt. 267 and has 8 stations. There are a few restaurants close by. It's not usually busy (except for ski weekends with people staying at Northstar). It's on the map.
Supercharger - Truckee #2
Truckee Brockway Road Supercharger | Tesla