Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Donner Pass Rd. (LIVE Aug 2014, 11 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's Superchargers (supercharge.info, not supercharger.info)

It will also show sites turned on before the official Tesla nod.

Thank you for the correct URL. supercharge.info works for me. And I see the "Construction" and "Permitted" icons on the map. Nice work.

Now if only the Manteca CA construction would get going! It's obviously not going to be ready for my trip to Yosemite in 3 weeks. I should be okay since the trip is 164 miles door to door, and elevation gain is only 4,500 ft. which will likely eat up at least 40 miles of range. I will have destination charging at 220V/20A. But maybe I will divert slightly to Fremont for a full charge on the way, from Fremont it is 143 miles. That would give me a bit more of a buffer. It will be a tradeoff: I can drive slower and maintain a buffer or I can charge at Fremont, drive faster, and maintain a buffer.

Last edited:
Cost of SuperCharger station?

News this morning about the Town of Truckee wanting to add EV chargers and a nice picture of the Truckee SuperCharger location which looks like it's progressing nicely with covers on a few of the charging stands.
Truckee Wants More Free Electric Car Charging Stations - capradio.org

The article quotes Steve Poncelet of the Truckee-Donner Public Utility District as saying that the SuperCharger station cost $1 million. This seems high to me. I have no knowledge of actual costs but the equipment doesn't seem like it would be much more than $100,000 ($200,000 max) and the cost of construction (a few guys for a few weeks) shouldn't be all that much.
Does anyone know what it really costs to build a SuperCharger station?

OK You Truckee Doubters ... DOUBT NO MORE. We have a cabin here in Truckee and came up for the weekend (in our Tesla) See the photo below, taken yesterday, 15 August 2014, showing the status of the Supercharger installation behind Safeway, on Donner Pass Road and Hwy 89, in Truckee. Not quite done yet but all the "hardscape" is done, 6 (maybe 7-couldn't see behind some trailers) stalls, all paving completed and just waiting for the final wiring. I assume it will be open in the next week or two:
Tesla Supercharger Truckee 2014-08-15.JPG

OK You Truckee Doubters ... DOUBT NO MORE. We have a cabin here in Truckee and came up for the weekend (in our Tesla) See the photo below, taken yesterday, 15 August 2014, showing the status of the Supercharger installation behind Safeway, on Donner Pass Road and Hwy 89, in Truckee. Not quite done yet but all the "hardscape" is done, 6 (maybe 7-couldn't see behind some trailers) stalls, all paving completed and just waiting for the final wiring. I assume it will be open in the next week or two:

Thanks for the picture!

If you look at the pictures in this post Truckee supercharger - Page 8, you can see that there are 3 Supercharger Cabinets, so it will be 6 Charging Stalls, not 7. Also, if you look at the second picture in that post, there looks to be a transformer pad to the right of the cream colored Supercharger Cabinets and the green Distribution Center. Did you happen to notice if there was a transformer there yet? That will be the key to this site going live.

Took a ride up to take a look. We got off 80 at 89 north but you can get to them from Donner Pass Road and turn north on Frates Pass Lane then turn into the Gateway at Donner Pass Plaza. The SC's are behind the Verizon store. Looks like they are getting closer to being ready.

Sorry, I do not know how to make the photos smaller.

IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
View attachment 56714View attachment 56715View attachment 56716

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 684
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 662
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 667
View attachment 56710

I can attest that this photo is legit and not doctored... :tongue: . He showed me the original on his phone when we met randomly in vacaville at the supercharger...

It's useful for planning routes using tools like Google Maps, where I can drag the route around, add multiple destinations, etc. The Tesla Model S nav system still needs a lot of work. The nav system in my 2006 Prius is better in many ways than the Tesla one. For one thing it allowed me to enter multiple destinations. For another, it always gave me three different choices for the route, shortest and the two fastest. I really hope that 6.0 will address many of these shortcomings.

I didn't know about http://www.supercharger.info, which sadly does not seem to work on the integrated Tesla model S browser.