Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Donner Pass Rd. (LIVE Aug 2014, 11 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did cursory calculations on EVTripPlanner for an S85, and the following locations would make the most sense going west-to-east along I-80: Lovelock NV (138 rated miles--Winnemucca is 229--too far for a 60 a (and might require more careful driving in an 85); Battle Mountain (152 rated miles from Lovelock); Wells (153 rated miles from Battle Mountain) and Tooele (209 rated miles from Battle Mountain). None of these communities have much going for them, much like Green River UT.

On the other hand, they might also place one in Fernley east of Reno (65 miles from Truckee) to push the ones further east to Winnemucca (166RM); Elko (157RM); Wendover (131RM); Salt Lake City environs (155 plus or minus depending on location.)

Winnemucca and Elko are much better spots for eating/walking/gambling than Lovelock and Battle Mountain, but not by much!

The flexibility of Winnemucca appeals to me. For North/South travel between Boise/Eastern Oregon, leaving Winnemucca fully charged will be essential. Right now it is essential that Tesla focus on the East/West routes, but SC placements should consider future North South corridors. he same logic applies to Wells 174 miles further East, It is on the main road between Southern Idaho and Las Vegas.

I have now heard that Truckee is toward the top of the list of upcoming sites. Would make sense that they want it done during summer weather. If anyone is up there in the next month, drive by the site and look for crates/switchgear.

I did cursory calculations on EVTripPlanner for an S85, and the following locations would make the most sense going west-to-east along I-80: Lovelock NV (138 rated miles--Winnemucca is 229--too far for a 60 a (and might require more careful driving in an 85); Battle Mountain (152 rated miles from Lovelock); Wells (153 rated miles from Battle Mountain) and Tooele (209 rated miles from Battle Mountain). None of these communities have much going for them, much like Green River UT.

On the other hand, they might also place one in Fernley east of Reno (65 miles from Truckee) to push the ones further east to Winnemucca (166RM); Elko (157RM); Wendover (131RM); Salt Lake City environs (155 plus or minus depending on location.)

Winnemucca and Elko are much better spots for eating/walking/gambling than Lovelock and Battle Mountain, but not by much!
Fernley might be useful, but ISTM that rather than put one there you would put one in Fallon whenever they get around to U.S. 50, aka "The Loneliest Road in America" (and a much more interesting drive than I-80, especially on a night with a moon). Were you allowing for the 75 mph speed limit on I-80 in Nevada in calculating rated miles? Other than that issue, I like your spacing, but you either need an SC at Wendover or at least somewhere closer than Tooele. Eventually you'd want to infill with Fernley, Winnemuca, Elko and probably Wendover.

Last edited:
I just sent the following email to the Supercharger team.

"I have been totally impressed with the supercharger rollout so far. I have personally charged at 48 SCs driving across the country from Grass Valley CA to Cape May, NJ. I was looking for a bit of adventure, but, everything worked perfectly. I am also impressed with your flexibility in responding to owner input on locations. I was a vocal advocate for Truckee and it looks like it is on its way. This with the addition of Bishop and Manteca puts you in perfect position to complete the 395 corridor providing NorCal access to Mammoth and through Yosemite by adding only one more supercharger. I vote for Lee Vining at Whoa Nellies Deli."

I know that Whoa Nellies has been discussed before, but now that we are getting Truckee we should voice our support to the team.

I have now heard that Truckee is toward the top of the list of upcoming sites. Would make sense that they want it done during summer weather. If anyone is up there in the next month, drive by the site and look for crates/switchgear.

Gigafactory in NV perhaps? Top of the upcoming SC list, but still does not appear on the Supercharger Map? Humm...

I just sent the following email to the Supercharger team.

"I have been totally impressed with the supercharger rollout so far. I have personally charged at 48 SCs driving across the country from Grass Valley CA to Cape May, NJ. I was looking for a bit of adventure, but, everything worked perfectly. I am also impressed with your flexibility in responding to owner input on locations. I was a vocal advocate for Truckee and it looks like it is on its way. This with the addition of Bishop and Manteca puts you in perfect position to complete the 395 corridor providing NorCal access to Mammoth and through Yosemite by adding only one more supercharger. I vote for Lee Vining at Whoa Nellies Deli."

I know that Whoa Nellies has been discussed before, but now that we are getting Truckee we should voice our support to the team.
I agree that an SC in Lee Vining is essential, but I'm conflicted about whether it should be at the deli. It certainly gets the majority of traffic when 120 is open as the food's the best in town (and probably the county) and the view is hard to beat, but the deli's only open from the last week in April through October. While I doubt that there's a lot of traffic along 395 between Minden and Mammoth in winter, anyone who does need to stop then won't have anything to do there, and it's about a .5 mile walk into town, with no sidewalk and possibly no shoulder depending on snow. I'm not even sure if it's plowed to there in winter, i.e. is the station even open?

So, the other option is to put the SC downtown, say in Nicely's restaurant parking lot or one of the motel lots, or maybe behind the Mono Lake Committee office. The problem with that is that most people won't want to walk from there to the deli during the high season (and I do love their meat loaf and pork loin, although they seem to have replaced the latter with pork chops now!). Aside from Nicely's there's a BBQ place and one or two others downtown, but none compares to the deli (for those who aren't familiar with it and are wondering why we're wasting so much energy worrying about putting an SC at a deli located at a _gas station_, see Tioga Gas Mart Whoa Nellie Deli - Lee Vining, CA | Yelp or one of the many other links that come up when you enter Whoa Nellie Deli).

Last edited:
Sadly, you make a good point. I had not considered winter closure. Odd since I drive that route more in winter than summer to ski at Mammoth. I'm inclined to agree with your suggestions but parking is at a premium in Downtown Lee Vining. Another option would be Bridgeport.

Sadly, you make a good point. I had not considered winter closure. Odd since I drive that route more in winter than summer to ski at Mammoth. I'm inclined to agree with your suggestions but parking is at a premium in Downtown Lee Vining. Another option would be Bridgeport.
They'll want one in Bridgeport eventually, but 120 to Lee Vining gets far more traffic and the road is faster than 108, over the summit. 108 has a section that's a 25% grade on the east side of Sonora Pass, with lots of hairpin turns in that area. I've driven 120 a lot and 108 a few times, and 120 is a lot quicker. At least, it is if you ignore the 45 mph speed limit in the park.

Re parking in downtown Lee Vining, there is the nice little grassy park on Mattly Ave. about two blocks from downtown on the east side of 395. I sometimes go there for a siesta before dinner, and it's got shade (in the afternoon), water, bathrooms, swings and picnic tables as well as some old farm tractors to look at, as well as lots of parking spaces (21 + 2 handicapped, looking at Google maps satellite view), most of which are empty whenever I've been there.

I agree that an SC in Lee Vining is essential, but I'm conflicted about whether it should be at the deli. It certainly gets the majority of traffic when 120 is open as the food's the best in town (and probably the county) and the view is hard to beat, but the deli's only open from the last week in April through October. While I doubt that there's a lot of traffic along 395 between Minden and Mammoth in winter, anyone who does need to stop then won't have anything to do there, and it's about a .5 mile walk into town, with no sidewalk and possibly no shoulder depending on snow. I'm not even sure if it's plowed to there in winter, i.e. is the station even open?

SR120 between Tioga Pass and US395 generally closes for the winter around mid-to-late November, depending on weather. There are two closure points: one about 7 miles west of US395, and another about 3 miles west. The average reopening date is around May 15. The Mobil station is open year 'round.

The placement of SC along US395 will be tricky to say the least. If we take as a given that Bishop is a certainty, then Lee Vining is only 65 miles away. The climbs to Sherwin Summit and Deadman Summit are not that long, so this distance might only use 100 miles of range driving 75. Bridgeport makes more sense, as that distance is 118 miles. Once you factor in the climb up Conway Summit and descent into Bridgeport you would use about 135 miles of range. In my opinion, Bridgeport is superior because the SC at Truckee allows for a choice of routes to the Eastern Sierra: Through Reno and then south on 395 (144 statute miles); along the eastern shore of Tahoe to US50 and Carson City, then south (118 statute miles); Kingsbury Grade out of South Shore (125 statute miles); or via Markleeville and Monitor Pass (SR89--133 statute miles). All would be doable in a MS60.

The perfect complement to Bridgeport would be to see if Tesla could work with the National Park Service (or their concessionaire) to install two stalls at Crane Flat and 6 or so in Yosemite Valley. That would allow easy access through the Park and back to the Bay Area or south to Fresno and the coast or Los Angeles.

Now, if we could find out if Tesla will be building SC's north along US395, like Susanville, Alturas/Lakeview and points north, as well as US97 into Oregon!

SR120 between Tioga Pass and US395 generally closes for the winter around mid-to-late November, depending on weather. There are two closure points: one about 7 miles west of US395, and another about 3 miles west. The average reopening date is around May 15. The Mobil station is open year 'round.
It's generally whenever the first big snowfall happens, and there've been a few in early November, and even one as early as October 17th.

The placement of SC along US395 will be tricky to say the least. If we take as a given that Bishop is a certainty, then Lee Vining is only 65 miles away. The climbs to Sherwin Summit and Deadman Summit are not that long, so this distance might only use 100 miles of range driving 75. Bridgeport makes more sense, as that distance is 118 miles. Once you factor in the climb up Conway Summit and descent into Bridgeport you would use about 135 miles of range. In my opinion, Bridgeport is superior because the SC at Truckee allows for a choice of routes to the Eastern Sierra: Through Reno and then south on 395 (144 statute miles); along the eastern shore of Tahoe to US50 and Carson City, then south (118 statute miles); Kingsbury Grade out of South Shore (125 statute miles); or via Markleeville and Monitor Pass (SR89--133 statute miles). All would be doable in a MS60.

The perfect complement to Bridgeport would be to see if Tesla could work with the National Park Service (or their concessionaire) to install two stalls at Crane Flat and 6 or so in Yosemite Valley. That would allow easy access through the Park and back to the Bay Area or south to Fresno and the coast or Los Angeles.
Bridgeport (first) would make sense if it got the traffic that Lee Vining does, but for the half of the year that 120 and 108 are open, 120 gets the majority of it. People heading back to the Bay Area from June Lake, Mammoth, Tom's Place, Bishop, Big Pine, Independence and Lone Pine and the outdoor activities in those areas are going to take 120 rather than 108 (BTDT), and trying to get from Bishop over Tioga and down to Manteca is likely to be excruciating in a 60 or Gen 3 (note that I'd prefer to see an SC well east of Manteca for 120/108. Jamestown would serve both). I'm not sure that Bishop is a done deal, or needs to be - Big Pine 15 miles south would also work. Although there are fewer places to eat there, it is a better location for people going to the White Mountains via 168 East or up Big Pine Creek to the Palisades. Bishop is better for 168 West to North/South/Sabrina lakes, as well as 6 eastbound, and either work for Mammoth traffic from the south.

To me, having an SC in either SLT or else Minden would seem essential. Ideally we'd have SCs all along 395, especially depending on how Tesla plans to serve Death Valley traffic. Are they going to put an SC in Inyokern/Ridgecrest and hope that people can get to Furnace Creek, or will they put one further north/northeast in either Olancha or Panamint Springs? And for the people coming south down 395 from either Tahoe or Reno as well as the Bay Area, are they also going to have an SC in Lone Pine, servicing both Death Valley in its season as well as the people going in/returning from Whitney Portal?

Now, if we could find out if Tesla will be building SC's north along US395, like Susanville, Alturas/Lakeview and points north, as well as US97 into Oregon!
For 97, presumably they'll have SCs in K-Falls, easily reachable from Mt. Shasta, and Bend. Something in the Susanville area will be needed eventually, although the triangular intersection of 36, 395 and A3 east of there with 8-9 mile legs makes it a pain - restaurants are limited. I've been to Alturas once, coming back from Ashland and wanted to check out the South Warner Wilderness. That's probably the most remote part of the state as far as people driving there, so it should be on the back burner.

GRA, fun discussion here!

Whatever ultimately flops out with the placement of Superchargers along the Eastern Sierra corridor, I think we can agree that there will be those of us pleased and those of us less-than-pleased. You indicate that you live in the East Bay, so I just ran a proforma calculation from Walnut Creek to Bishop using EVTripplanner. I selected three routes--through Yosemite and Tioga Road (320 range miles and 5 1/2 hours driving); across Sonora Pass (350 range miles and 5 1/4 hours driving); and over Carson Pass to Minden and then south on US395 (open year-round except for brief closures for heavy snow) (383 range miles and about 6 1/2 hours driving.)

The total driving and charging times for Tioga Pass vs. Sonora Pass is likely to be immaterial to reach Bishop, provided that your excellent idea of placing a SC in Jamestown is adopted. Since US50 and SR88 are open year-round, Tesla may decide to forgo SC placement along seasonal highways. If that is the case, we can only hope that they have the foresight to offer HPWC to the areas most affected, thereby increasing our choices at the cost of a 2-hour charge to get 120 miles or so of range if we purchased the dual chargers.

If that is the case, then Minden-Bishop would be doable in a 60 at about 175-180 rated miles. The HPWC could be in both Lee Vining and Bridgeport to goose our miles if we opted for the mountain passes.

I wonder if Tesla researches the traffic counts on all the highways to determine the feasibility of where to install their Superchargers.

2012 Traffic Volumes on the California State Highway System

As you can see, average annual usage of US395 at Lee Vining vs. Bridgeport is about a 1,000 vehicle-per-day difference. The peak season difference is about 2,500 vehicles per day--likely late June through Labor Day. This volume may not be enough for Tesla to consider installing a SC in California north of Bishop. I would also guess that locals and law enforcement comprise about 15% of the volume during peak season, and less during the off-peak times.

GRA, fun discussion here!
Yeah, I like playing with maps (the paper kind), and have wasted far too many hours figuring optional locations for SCs all over the state!

Whatever ultimately flops out with the placement of Superchargers along the Eastern Sierra corridor, I think we can agree that there will be those of us pleased and those of us less-than-pleased. You indicate that you live in the East Bay, so I just ran a proforma calculation from Walnut Creek to Bishop using EVTripplanner. I selected three routes--through Yosemite and Tioga Road (320 range miles and 5 1/2 hours driving); across Sonora Pass (350 range miles and 5 1/4 hours driving); and over Carson Pass to Minden and then south on US395 (open year-round except for brief closures for heavy snow) (383 range miles and about 6 1/2 hours driving.)
I'm in the inner East Bay, a lot closer to the 880/580 Jct. than Walnut Creek. You're right, where we live and where we normally go will determine how satisfied we are with SC placement, until they put one in every town in Mono and Inyo counties that have a gas station now, and that's not going to happen anytime soon.:smile:

Here's how my numbers work out, using Google maps: 5:30 and 293 miles via 580/205/99/120/108/395; 5:39 and 270 miles (must be figuring daytime with RV and tourist traffic, cause I routinely get to Lee Vining in under 4 hours at night, and Bishop an hour later) via 580/205/99/120 (Old Priest Grade)/395; 580/80/50/89 (Luther Pass)/88/Centerville Ln./395, 6:28 and 376 miles, or 207 (Kingsville Grade)/206/Centerville Ln./395, 6:36 and 373 miles. I find that in winter 50 is faster than 88, and far less likely to be shut down for avalanche control on the spur of the moment at the north end of the Kirkwood ridge.

The total driving and charging times for Tioga Pass vs. Sonora Pass is likely to be immaterial to reach Bishop, provided that your excellent idea of placing a SC in Jamestown is adopted.
See my comments above; Tioga has definitely proven faster for me and I find it less stressful, maybe because I'm far more familiar with it, but I try to do my mountain driving when tourists and RVs are off the road so my average speeds are higher than indicated by Google maps.

Since US50 and SR88 are open year-round, Tesla may decide to forgo SC placement along seasonal highways. If that is the case, we can only hope that they have the foresight to offer HPWC to the areas most affected, thereby increasing our choices at the cost of a 2-hour charge to get 120 miles or so of range if we purchased the dual chargers.

If that is the case, then Minden-Bishop would be doable in a 60 at about 175-180 rated miles. The HPWC could be in both Lee Vining and Bridgeport to goose our miles if we opted for the mountain passes.
When you say Minden-Bishop is that just southbound, or do you think it would work either way?

I wonder if Tesla researches the traffic counts on all the highways to determine the feasibility of where to install their Superchargers.
2012 Traffic Volumes on the California State Highway System

As you can see, average annual usage of US395 at Lee Vining vs. Bridgeport is about a 1,000 vehicle-per-day difference. The peak season difference is about 2,500 vehicles per day--likely late June through Labor Day. This volume may not be enough for Tesla to consider installing a SC in California north of Bishop. I would also guess that locals and law enforcement comprise about 15% of the volume during peak season, and less during the off-peak times.
Ooh, great resource! I'm not sure we're looking at the same numbers; I see 120/Peak Hour and 1,050/Peak Month for 108/Jct. 395, and 430/Peak Hour and 4,350/Peak Month for 120/Jct. 395, in the 2012 Traffic Volumes book, so somewhat greater difference than your peak #s. I certainly hope that Tesla uses traffic counts, but they need to consider how their customer demographic may show higher or lower % than the average driver might on various routes. As a for instance, I'd think that Tesla owners are more likely to visit the Wine Country than the average driver, and I suspect once the Model X comes out those owners will be far more likely to visit, Tahoe, Yosemite, Kings Canyon etc. than the average.

Since this has become a discussion about the East Sierra/ Owen's Valley. I want to mention Independence has two cute and inexpensive (yet super clean) motels with Nema 14-50 that both charged my Model S at a full 240v/40 amps.

As for Panamint Springs, no way they would have enough current for a supercharger.

callmesam posted a photo of Tesla's supercharger dashboard over on the Hawthorne thread and you can see the Truckee supercharger as a 'Coming Soon' location. Not sure if anyone's been by recently to see if construction has actually started, but I'll probably be up in the area the weekends of July 11th and 18th and plan to check it out.

TeslaSuperchargerDashboard.JPG

callmesam posted a photo of Tesla's supercharger dashboard over on the Hawthorne thread and you can see the Truckee supercharger as a 'Coming Soon' location. Not sure if anyone's been by recently to see if construction has actually started, but I'll probably be up in the area the weekends of July 11th and 18th and plan to check it out.

View attachment 52828
Cool dashboard. Is it internal to Tesla or on the web, and if the later, where?