Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Donner Pass Rd. (LIVE Aug 2014, 11 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
callmesam posted a photo of Tesla's supercharger dashboard over on the Hawthorne thread and you can see the Truckee supercharger as a 'Coming Soon' location. Not sure if anyone's been by recently to see if construction has actually started, but I'll probably be up in the area the weekends of July 11th and 18th and plan to check it out.

The permit for the Truckee supercharger was still being processed as of the end of last week. With average luck (3 weeks processing), the permit would be approved by the end of this week. With luck they will have started by the time you go up there, or at least you can scout for pavement markings.

GRA,

For the traffic counts, I just used the "average annual" data, and not the more specific data that you cited.

I ran the numbers and northbound from Bishop to Minden is 172RM at 58MPH; 193RM at 68MPH. Easily doable in an 85; a 60 owner would have to climb the passes at 58. It is all downhill to the Nevada Line from the Virginia Lakes turnoff at Conway Summit.

By the way, in mid-July I will be driving from Fresno to Yreka using the SC network, then returning via McArthur-Burney Falls SP, Quincy, Downieville, Grass Valley, along the eastern shore of Tahoe to wind up in Bridgeport--all completely off the SC grid. I have a site reserved at the Bridgeport Marina RV Park for a 14-50 plug before I return home over Sonora Pass.

I have scoped out all the places to charge, and there does not seem to be any problem!

Here's how my numbers work out, using Google maps: 5:30 and 293 miles via 580/205/99/120/108/395; 5:39 and 270 miles (must be figuring daytime with RV and tourist traffic, cause I routinely get to Lee Vining in under 4 hours at night, and Bishop an hour later) via 580/205/99/120 (Old Priest Grade)/395; 580/80/50/89 (Luther Pass)/88/Centerville Ln./395, 6:28 and 376 miles, or 207 (Kingsville Grade)/206/Centerville Ln./395, 6:36 and 373 miles. I find that in winter 50 is faster than 88, and far less likely to be shut down for avalanche control on the spur of the moment at the north end of the Kirkwood ridge.
Pondering matters overnight, I think it has to be Lee Vining, Bishop and either Lone Pine or Olancha. Most of the trips along 395 in the high seasons are out and back rather than through, and most of the destinations off 395 involves several thousand feet of climbing and an extra 10 to 20 miles of driving each way. So, while it's only 65 miles from Lee Vining to Bishop and another 15 to Big Pine, FROM Bishop up to South Lake it's an extra 22 miles and 5,700 feet of climb. Lee Vining - Bishop - South Lake - Lee Vining is 166 miles with around 21 miles of net range additional due to elevation changes, and you need to stop in downtown Bishop on the way in to pick up wilderness permits at the Ranger District HQ. So, putting the SC at Big Pine won't work, unless people are willing to stop and spend an hour or more at a 14-50 or HPWC in Bishop to ensure they can get back up the hill to Lee Vining. Coming out from weekend or week trips, all I want to do is get a cold drink and start the drive back, because I'm tired and it's at least 5 hours.

At the south end of Owens Valley, Lone Pine has the advantage for people heading west to Whitney Portal or southbound Death Valley traffic, and the Interagency Visitor Center for permit pickup is there. There's a Comfort Inn just north of it, or several restaurants downtown. Olancha is better for Death Valley coming from the south, and I'd imagine there's more Death Valley traffic coming North from SoCal than south from Lake Tahoe; the latter is a pain. There's only a couple of Cafes either side of the 190 junction to Death Valley, but it does save you going 20 miles out of your way to Lone Pine if you're coming from the south.

With those three sites plus 14-50s or HPWCs in the intermediate towns such as the ones mentioned in Independence, you'd have a fairly robust network.

Last edited:
My guess is Bishop and Inyokern. And I really don't see them worrying about anything north of there for a while. I've been to Mammoth a few times and when I say I'm from the bay area they looked at me like I was crazy for driving past all the Tahoe resorts. Still lots of areas in the rest of the country (and Canada) to do before the backroads of California are filled in.

My guess is Bishop and Inyokern. And I really don't see them worrying about anything north of there for a while. I've been to Mammoth a few times and when I say I'm from the bay area they looked at me like I was crazy for driving past all the Tahoe resorts.
In Winter, sure, although there is a lot of nice backcountry skiing in the Tioga Pass and Rock Creek areas. In summer or fall, lots of us head over there. I've hiked, biked, backpacked, climbed and even scuba dived (Convict Lake, boring) there from June through October, and skiied in April in the White Mountains. Summer in Mammoth you see lots of Bay Area plates, and quite a few as far south as Whitney Portal, although mainly on three day weekends.

Still lots of areas in the rest of the country (and Canada) to do before the backroads of California are filled in.
I guess that represents a basic difference in philosophy for SC rollout. IMO it's far more important at the moment to put SCs on routes that allow access to common weekend getaways from major metro areas with lots of Teslas, than it is to provide a national grid of SCs that will allow transcontinental trips that most people, especially in the Tesla income demographic, will rarely take. I was very critical of the initial cross-country SC route across the emptiness of Southern MN, SD and eastern Wyoming for that reason, when there were so many areas with much larger Tesla populations that had no SCs (e.g. Atlanta, upstate New York). I remain very critical of the intention shown on the maps to finish the section of I-90 in the NW, when the section of I-90 between Boston and Cleveland has barely been started. In short, I think transcontinental SC routes should mostly grow organically outwards from city hubs, and then add the few necessary connecting SCs. Although I do think that finishing I-70 between Denver and St. Louis is worthwhile, as that's a much more efficient X-C route than the detour north up into the empty states west of Chicago.

Last edited:
GRA,

For the traffic counts, I just used the "average annual" data, and not the more specific data that you cited.
Okay, thanks.

I ran the numbers and northbound from Bishop to Minden is 172RM at 58MPH; 193RM at 68MPH. Easily doable in an 85; a 60 owner would have to climb the passes at 58. It is all downhill to the Nevada Line from the Virginia Lakes turnoff at Conway Summit.
That's closer than I'd want to cut it in a 60/Gen 3, as I keep a minimum 10% emergency reserve (preferably 30 miles at cruising speed), plus I always allow for heat/defrost/winds and degradation.

By the way, in mid-July I will be driving from Fresno to Yreka using the SC network, then returning via McArthur-Burney Falls SP, Quincy, Downieville, Grass Valley, along the eastern shore of Tahoe to wind up in Bridgeport--all completely off the SC grid. I have a site reserved at the Bridgeport Marina RV Park for a 14-50 plug before I return home over Sonora Pass.

I have scoped out all the places to charge, and there does not seem to be any problem!
Thank heaven for air conditioning! I-5 in summer is torture; the worst time I ever had in a car was sitting in the back seat of a BMW 2002 coming back from a Shasta climb to the Bay Area, on a day it hit 114 in Red Bluff. No air conditioning, and essentially no ventilation either.:crying: Sounds like you'll definitely get to see some nice country. I've never made it over to Burney Falls or the Feather River area, just Shasta and the Lassen area.

The Town of Truckee Building Reports website hadn't been updated in two weeks after having been updated weekly, so I sent feedback asking for an update on permit B14-00310, the Tesla supercharger. Here is the response I got from the Chief Building Official:

[FONT=&quot]All agencies approval were received yesterday the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] of July. We have been waiting for these approvals prior to issuance and we notified the applicant today that the permit was ready to issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

The location shown on the Superchargers interactive site for the upcoming Truckee supercharger is wrong. How do we request it be updated?

Currently it shows the location out in the boonies whereas the building permit has a site address of 11290 DONNER PASS RD TRUCKEE CA 96161-4808. This makes much more sense and is in the Safeway parking lot just off I-80 at Donner Pass Road.

- - - Updated - - -

OK I've sent a request to [email protected]

I was up there last week and checked out the northwest corner of the property. Lots of room for six SC's and the existing high voltage xfrmrs are located back there already. I also understand some of the hardware for the site has shipped. Anyone going up in the next week or so should see some action.

I was up there last week and checked out the northwest corner of the property. Lots of room for six SC's and the existing high voltage xfrmrs are located back there already. I also understand some of the hardware for the site has shipped. Anyone going up in the next week or so should see some action.
I will be in North Shore in the beginning of August and will drive around the area by Safeway and report back.

Just drove around the Safeway parking lot on Wednesday and see nothing, I hope there is more property than the parking lot because I saw no area big enough and away from incredible traffic in the lot that you would park in to use Safeway. Does Safeway own more area than I saw, because there is no way they could put 6 to 8 superchargers that would not be filled with ICE cars all the time.

Just drove around the Safeway parking lot on Wednesday and see nothing, I hope there is more property than the parking lot because I saw no area big enough and away from incredible traffic in the lot that you would park in to use Safeway. Does Safeway own more area than I saw, because there is no way they could put 6 to 8 superchargers that would not be filled with ICE cars all the time.
You're right, the parking lot really isn't that big. However, there is an existing transformer right at the Frates Lane entrance to the Safeway parking lot. If I was designing it, I would probably use the 9 spaces right along Frates Lane. The lowest traffic area would probably be along Frates Lane partially behind the store, but that's probably employee parking.