Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Donner Pass Rd. (LIVE Aug 2014, 11 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove around the Safeway parking lot on Wednesday and see nothing, I hope there is more property than the parking lot because I saw no area big enough and away from incredible traffic in the lot that you would park in to use Safeway. Does Safeway own more area than I saw, because there is no way they could put 6 to 8 superchargers that would not be filled with ICE cars all the time.
It happens I was in this Safeway parking lot Thursday July 31 midday, but clueless to this thread, so I took no pictures. The lot was busy, like many grocery store lots, but not impossible. I have been at San Juan Capistrano SC 3 times, and its mini-mall lot has always been more crazy and really full, with no free spaces, than this Safeway lot. A few of the 7 slots at SJC are actually labeled dual use, so Union Bank customers can use them during banking hours. Somehow we all get along. When the lot is the most crowded, there are usually several Tesla drivers hanging around their cars to discourage casual ICEing attempts. The charging bays make enough of a visual statement that it is hard to claim ignorance.

Stopped by the Gateway Center (strip mall with Safeway, etc.) in Truckee today since I live in the area. Construction well under way at the West end of the mall behind the stores. Looks like a good location since away from the main parking area out front.

IMG_20140811_094807.jpg
IMG_20140811_094843.jpg

All - first post, no Tesla. Maybe when the Model III comes out. I do have a great interest in I-80 travel between the San Fran Bay Area and Chicago.

With this supercharger in Truckee, and considering it is downhill to Reno, how far east could a fully charged 60 kw car go? Could it make it to Winnemucca? (RV park there with 14-50s.) Evtripplanner estimates the 196 mile segment would draw 61.8 kwh of energy - which would seem to be just beyond a 60 kw car. Seems like a 85 kw car could easily make it to Battle Mountain tho at 250 miles/80.5 kwh.

I-80 largely follows several historic paths across the U.S. (e.g., the first trans-continental railroad, and the first trans-continental auto route). It is also very heavily traveled. So it seems a bit wierd to me that Tesla chose such a different, and strange, route for their first trans-continental supercharger highway.

Stopped by the Gateway Center (strip mall with Safeway, etc.) in Truckee today since I live in the area. Construction well under way at the West end of the mall behind the stores. Looks like a good location since away from the main parking area out front.

View attachment 56239View attachment 56240
Thanks for the pictures, where is this in relation to the Safeway Store parking lot, is it behind it on the northwest corner.

Most of the SCs I've been to in California are like that.
I wouldn't say "most" but you're right, this orientation is not unusual like I thought it was.

Head-In
----------
Hawthore
Tejon Ranch
Roseville

Back-In (pedestal parallel to curb)
-----------
Oxnard
Vacaville
Atascadero
Corning

Mixture of Head-In and Back-In (Pedestal Parallel to Curb)
-----------
San Juan Capistrano
Harris Ranch

Mixture of Head-In and Back-In (Pedestal Parallel to Car)
------------
Gilroy

Back-In (Pedestal Parallel to Car)
-----------
Fremont
Buellton

This is great, look forward to using this when completed.

Was at the Rocklin service center this past weekend, they are planning a major remodel/expansion soon and they told me that they hope to at least have multiple HPWCs available on their site available 24/7 (their current 2 HPWCs are behind a gate that is locked at night) if they can't convince corporate to put a few supercharger stalls on their site as well. Will be another option for folks driving to and from Tahoe on the I-80 corridor - the Service Center is visible on the north side of I-80 at the Sierra College Boulevard exit, about 5 miles east of Roseville.