Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Truckee, CA - Donner Pass Rd. (LIVE Aug 2014, 11 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Labor Day!

I stopped by the Truckee site today around 4:30 and chatted with the workers who were wiring up the cabinets. The transformer, as usual, is the last piece to drop. It is not currently at the site, thought there is a site ready for it. The guy I talked to said their work on the station should be complete this week. So once the Utility Co delivers the transformer and installs it, we're ready to go. He didn't think a Labor Day start would be a problem. I need it by the day after Labor Day, so here's hoping.

The guy said he'd been involved installations in Utah, Colorado and Arizona. And that they were heading for Barstow when they finish here.

Attachments

• TruckeeSC.jpeg
    TruckeeSC.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 446
I've been watching some old 2012 video's about the Model X and it's all wheel drive capabilities. It came to my mind that the Truckee Supercharger will be ready for the Model X all wheel drive vehicles during the snow season in the Sierra Nevada in early 2015. I'm glad there won't be a wait for Californians to head to the Lake Tahoe area for what I hope is an awesome ski season in early 2015. Colorado owners are already all set with superchargers for their wintery Model X/S fun! I hope overnight lodges/ski areas/condo rentals have prepared with 120v/240v plugs in their parking lots to keep the Model X/S batteries warm while folks are out on the slopes/spending the night in their winter wonderlands..

When ya think about it.. 120v charging is simple to install and provides power while overnight or out on the slopes. Here is what Denver has done to facilitate EV's in their parking lot. I think this is forward thinking and what every parking garage and destination locations need to be thinking about in their planning. KISS keep it simple silly!

NEMA 14-50's would be even better, but you get the idea... 120v or 240v power receptacles conveniently located in parking lots/areas make for a simple solution to long term/overnight parking.

DIA=Denver Int'l Airport.

Level 1 Electric Charging Stations

DIA has a total of 11 Level 1 electric vehicle charging stations available close-in on Level 1 of the parking garages, rows E and F. These spaces have designated Electric Charging Station signs and are available on a first come, first serve basis. Standard parking rates apply.

• Six in the East Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)
  • Five in the West Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)

Truckee Supercharger

Stopped on the way out of Truckee on Monday and talked with the local power company installation crew (for Tahoe Donner PUD). They said the installation was all done, and the transformers should be powered up this week. Then the supercharger crew (out of the midwest?) has to come and run a series of tests. They expect it to be operational late this week or some time next week, but definitely before Labor Day. I will be back there next Friday, Aug 29 and check.

Thanks for the picture!

If you look at the pictures in this post Truckee supercharger - Page 8, you can see that there are 3 Supercharger Cabinets, so it will be 6 Charging Stalls, not 7. Also, if you look at the second picture in that post, there looks to be a transformer pad to the right of the cream colored Supercharger Cabinets and the green Distribution Center. Did you happen to notice if there was a transformer there yet? That will be the key to this site going live.

No it isn't inadequate. Granted, I'd prefer they installed 20A outlets instead of 15A (since Tesla will make use of the extra current with an optional adapter), but a 20A plug can give you 50-75 miles of charge overnight depending on when you plug in. For day trippers, yes, they wouldn't work as well.

Great interactive supercharger map. Link within

That's awesome! Visual confirmation is always better than speculation. By the way, there's a great interactive map created by one of the Tesla forum users. Teslarati links to it as well. The map shows the Truckee supercharger is still under construction but I think that's because the website relies on users to provide feedback.

http://supercharge.info/

CBS5 news in SF just mentioned the Truckee SC. It was over in about 10 seconds. They showed a few clips of a Model S.

Local/national news has picked up on the Truckee Supercharger as it relates to the current Reno Gigafactory pad/site. They are equating 1 with the other and seem to place some added weight on the idea that this means that TM is going to build the NV site out first.