Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tsawwassen BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fail to see the need for this location. When people head for the ferry on the 17, they are rushing to catch it. There is no time to stop for half an hour and charge.
It's only advantage would be if you are coming off the ferry and you can pull in for a charge while you let the ferry traffic subside.
You could shop while you wait but probably won't need to eat as the buffet and cafeteria on board the ferries would be a much better venue for eating than a food court in a strip mall! Anyone coming up from the States would find this location out of the way as you head to Vancouver!

Completely disagree. It is part of the highway system with a lot of traffic flow. Many will want to charge either on their way to or from the ferry.

Completely disagree. It is part of the highway system with a lot of traffic flow. Many will want to charge either on their way to or from the ferry.
As I said, won't happen! People are in too much of a hurry to get to the ferry. Very few will allow time to charge on the way. As I also mentioned, people might use it after coming off the ferry as they will no doubt need a charge and they could also use the time to avoid the ferry rush off the ferry into town!

I disagree with Drone Flyer rather vehemently. I think towns with ferry terminals are perfect spots for superchargers. You take care of all your travel needs at once by making your crossing and getting your charging done. Then you are all set for the rest of your trip. Of course supercharging aboard the ferry would be ideal, but it does not appear to be feasible with current technology.

It's not as if *everybody* is in the habit of arriving late to the ferry. That is a strange assumption. And even so that behaviour can be modified and plans can be altered. Also, by having superchargers near ferry terminals on both sides, you are given the option of charging before or after the crossing. If you arrive early, charge before, if you are too late, you just charge on the other side. For this reason, I think we will eventually see superchargers installed in Victoria/Sidney and even way down the road in places like Comox, Powell River, and Port Hardy. In the US, superchargers have been installed in places like Burlington, WA and Ludington, MI which are likely at least partially because of their locations near major ferry terminals.

Lastly, it isn't really relevant to this topic, but I also would rather eat in a strip mall than at the White Spot buffet or whatever the hell it is they have on the ferry :)

It's not as if *everybody* is in the habit of arriving late to the ferry. That is a strange assumption. And even so that behaviour can be modified and plans can be altered. Also, by having superchargers near ferry terminals on both sides, you are given the option of charging before or after the crossing. If you arrive early, charge before, if you are too late, you just charge on the other side. For this reason, I think we will eventually see superchargers installed in Victoria/Sidney and even way down the road in places like Comox, Powell River, and Port Hardy. In the US, superchargers have been installed in places like Burlington, WA and Ludington, MI which are likely at least partially because of their locations near major ferry terminals.

Eurotunnel is the best example - 4 in Calais and 4 at Folkestone

I questioned this location as well. When it was just Nanaimo on the island with a supercharger, it had some merit. And believe me, I still think it does. But at this point I think there is a much bigger demand or requirement for a location close to the Port Mann Bridge (east side ideally), close to the TCH. That would allow travellers to charge on the way into town and again on the way out. A round trip from Hope to Vancouver and back again is possible for some configurations, but not for all and not easy in the winter. And doesn't allow for much vampire loss or wandering around Vancouver. Finding a destination charger in Vancouver is a chore!

Given that superchargers are intended for highway travellers, Port Mann would make a huge amount of sense. I know there's no way I'd detour to Tsawwassen... I'd probably limp to the CHAdeMO at the EcoDairy in Abbotsford instead.

Reactions: Freedom101
I disagree with Drone Flyer rather vehemently. I think towns with ferry terminals are perfect spots for superchargers. You take care of all your travel needs at once by making your crossing and getting your charging done. Then you are all set for the rest of your trip. Of course supercharging aboard the ferry would be ideal, but it does not appear to be feasible with current technology.

Lastly, it isn't really relevant to this topic, but I also would rather eat in a strip mall than at the White Spot buffet or whatever the hell it is they have on the ferry :)
The buffet on board the ferries is very good! It's not at all like the White Spot restaurants on land.
Having said that, I disagree with you vehemently as well! It's human nature to be late, especially when heading for a transportation environment. Most people just don't allow enough time as they are pre occupied with life.
I do agree that having a SC on the other side is definitely a smart idea as people, as I mentioned, can pull in, charge and shop, and avoid the ferry rush home. So a charger on the 17 in Sidney on Beacon Avenue would be ideal for this.

• Disagree
Reactions: yamanote
I fail to see the need for this location. When people head for the ferry on the 17, they are rushing to catch it. There is no time to stop for half an hour and charge.
It's only advantage would be if you are coming off the ferry and you can pull in for a charge while you let the ferry traffic subside.
You could shop while you wait but probably won't need to eat as the buffet and cafeteria on board the ferries would be a much better venue for eating than a food court in a strip mall! Anyone coming up from the States would find this location out of the way as you head to Vancouver!
This stop is ideal for people coming off the ferry from Victoria! Not the other way around!

I will also add that we will be planning our ferries trips from Tswwassen now to incorporate a stop at the supercharger. It will make traveling to the Island more comfortable for us. Yes, we can do the trip without a charging stop but sometimes it is nice to top up on range so that you don't have to seek out alternate charging in places.

Reactions: MarcoRP
IMG_3828.PNG
Now supercharge.info - thanks @BlueShift

Reactions: cmt489
The buffet on board the ferries is very good! It's not at all like the White Spot restaurants on land.
Having said that, I disagree with you vehemently as well! It's human nature to be late, especially when heading for a transportation environment. Most people just don't allow enough time as they are pre occupied with life.
I do agree that having a SC on the other side is definitely a smart idea as people, as I mentioned, can pull in, charge and shop, and avoid the ferry rush home. So a charger on the 17 in Sidney on Beacon Avenue would be ideal for this.
Just a myopic perspective here. I am one of those people that tends to run late as well, but certainly not everyone is like that. Also, you realize that for people who live on Vancouver Island, Tsawwassen is "the other side," right?