Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tucson, AZ - West River Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one got behind and they called in a few people from NM to help this week. They told me 2 things will determine if they can get to the 700 number. Hiring around 20 more employees to the AZ team and the right locations where enough power is close. As far as new locations, Glendale AZ, I dont think it is even on the map but its close to complete. I plan to go there tomorrow and get some pictures. I think he said there is another one under construction in Phoenix (16 stalls) but nothing showing yet. They did ask me what areas I thought needed attention and said a few of the pain points.
Please tell me you said casa grande!

Reactions: tmoz
I just stopped by to charge, I love the location! I noticed there was no stall numbers from what I could tell. It will become a great busy location, and it was a huge install, even for only 16. I hope, really hope, it helps with Casa Grande. Regardless, Casa Grande needs an upgrade, maybe similar to Gila Bend.
They should aim for Tacna as the model. That's a nice, if remote, set of chargers.

Reactions: tbenitez12
They should aim for Tacna as the model. That's a nice, if remote, set of chargers.
If my memory is correct, Tacna, White Hills, and maybe New River are on sites owned by the same guy or group. All are above average setups, with stalls away from the busier area of the parking lot, clean 24/7 restrooms, and a new convenience store that checks most of the boxes. All have quick highway access too.

If my memory is correct, Tacna, White Hills, and maybe New River are on sites owned by the same guy or group. All are above average setups, with stalls away from the busier area of the parking lot, clean 24/7 restrooms, and a new convenience store that checks most of the boxes. All have quick highway access too.
Didn't know that, but you're right. They all have those characteristics and are nice modern charging setups.

Reactions: tmoz
We were nearby eating lunch in the car on Saturday- (not charging ) and watched the steady flow of Teslas The chargers were not full but up to 13 were charging in the 30 min we watched. Mostly 3s and Ys. A couple of S and X's Funny thing, all but 3 we saw in the 30 min we were there were White! I think we observed more than 20 total Teslas in that time. Some stayed for just a few minutes and a couple were there the whole time we were.

We live near this supercharger and of course it's stall availability is displayed on the MCU map as we drive near it - Usually about 10 or so stalls available as we have driven by. We've used it one time, right after it was open and we were returning from a long trip- and wanted to get close to 80% charge before plugging in at home that night. Probably the only time we'll use this one, but it is nice to have it nearby incase we have some issue with our HPWC or our UMC.

Stopped by last night (6-22-22) with my 2015 S85 and I don't think these are 250kW chargers. Cable is smaller than 150kW chargers and was charging slower than my previous stop at Wilcox Az. I was only there for a few minutes and my state of charge was higher than it was at Wilcox but my miles per hour of charge was only about 2/3 previous charge.

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV
Stopped by last night (6-22-22) with my 2015 S85 and I don't think these are 250kW chargers. Cable is smaller than 150kW chargers and was charging slower than my previous stop at Wilcox Az. I was only there for a few minutes and my state of charge was higher than it was at Wilcox but my miles per hour of charge was only about 2/3 previous charge.
This one is definitely 250 kW. The new chargers all have thinner cables because they are liquid cooled so they don’t need to be so thick.

Don't know which post you were on but I consistently get 250kW with low SOC and a warm battery.

@JWood :Thinner cables = v3 / 250 kw
It is not appropriate to judge V3 performance with a classic 85 battery given concerns like charge-gate and battery-gate
I understand classic 85 but I just drove 2500 miles using 20 different superchargers in 5 days and Tucson West River Road was the slowest charge on the trip. Of course the 1 I used might have been defective as I found 3 others that did not work or were cycling up and down on this trip.

Reactions: gaswalla
Not sure I know exactly, but I think I read somewhere that the 85s can't take advantage of the V3 charging output like the newer models. I do know those V3 cables are liquid cooled, having a liquid flowing thru them as you charge.

Not sure I know exactly, but I think I read somewhere that the 85s can't take advantage of the V3 charging output like the newer models. I do know those V3 cables are liquid cooled, having a liquid flowing thru them as you charge.
The most my 2015 S85 with 143000 miles will do is 125kW but I saw a lower charge rate and smaller cables at Tucson West River Road than the other four 250kW Supercharges I used this trip. Granted I was only there for about 15 min and did not try another station. I will take some notes on next trip to compare superchargers.

View attachment 726419

A new Supercharger is coming to Marana, near Tucson, AZ. Per an article by Real Estate Daily News, 16 stalls are coming soon to the Marana Market Place, just outside Tucson city limits, despite the Tucson address.

Permit is approved but not issued due to there not yet being a selected contractor. Will add on Supercharge Info

Wonder if they are going to be insanely expensive like the other ones in Tucson have become. .45c per K/W hour has me wondering why it has increased in the last year to 3x what it was.

Wonder if they are going to be insanely expensive like the other ones in Tucson have become. .45c per K/W hour has me wondering why it has increased in the last year to 3x what it was.
Isn’t about $.45/kW (daytime rate) the standard almost everywhere? (Outside CA) That is the going rate at almost every supercharger I have been to in the last year. I used to see some $.23/kW, but now I only see that at night-time.
I assume this is because of Tesla’s push to at least break even on services and supercharging, which as a shareholder, makes sense.

I stopped by this Supercharger station back in November (2023) and saw that half (8) of the chargers were being worked on. I am not sure if this means they were being upgraded or just repaired/upkeep, but figured those here might know.

1708032479614.png
1708032640663.png