Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tucson, AZ - West River Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't they also have to have someone (from the government) certify their work before than can really open?
Nope. Tucson power has already completed their inspections. Just the contractor needs to finish the repair in Tesla will activate it. They’ve had all the people out there for the last two days so hopefully just one more day. I think yesterday they had between eight and 10 Tesla employees working in addition to the contractors employees there.

This isn't normal. It's usually activated by 1 Tesla employee. Maybe 2 if someone is getting trained. Makes me wonder if they are having more serious issues.
This is going to be the normal as they ramp up employees here in Arizona. Once the contractors work is done Tesla has numerous employees that will provide the final touches to the pedestals and the equipment. With Tesla adding 700 pedestals to Arizona over the next two years they will need to quickly turn these things on. When I was there yesterday they had four Tesla energy vans and two Tesla energy model 3’s. They are also trying to hire around 20 employees for the Supercharger build outs and Tesla energy products for commercial here in Arizona.

And just like that, IT'S OPEN!! 10;30 AM . I got to be the first one to charge. :)

2022-02-10 10.35.30.jpg
2022-02-10 10.50.13.jpg
2022-02-10 10.43.07.jpg
2022-02-10 09.48.59.jpg
2022-02-10 10.34.24.jpg

This is going to be the normal as they ramp up employees here in Arizona. Once the contractors work is done Tesla has numerous employees that will provide the final touches to the pedestals and the equipment. With Tesla adding 700 pedestals to Arizona over the next two years they will need to quickly turn these things on. When I was there yesterday they had four Tesla energy vans and two Tesla energy model 3’s. They are also trying to hire around 20 employees for the Supercharger build outs and Tesla energy products for commercial here in Arizona.

Where did you get the 700 pedestals added in 2 years? A reliable source or just extrapolating from the "we want to triple in 2 years" or similar message Tesla put out about the entire SC network? It does sound like you've got some inside scoop :)

Either way, I sure hope you're correct! That is a LOT of stalls!

AZ and PHX in particular, are WAY behind other cities as of now. PHX has Zero V3 chargers and not even a permit for one yet. They have done a decent job of upgrading most of the outlying SCs throughout the state with a few exceptions like Casa Grande, Cordes Lakes, Flagstaff etc.

Where did you get the 700 pedestals added in 2 years? A reliable source or just extrapolating from the "we want to triple in 2 years" or similar message Tesla put out about the entire SC network? It does sound like you've got some inside scoop :)

Either way, I sure hope you're correct! That is a LOT of stalls!

AZ and PHX in particular, are WAY behind other cities as of now. PHX has Zero V3 chargers and not even a permit for one yet. They have done a decent job of upgrading most of the outlying SCs throughout the state with a few exceptions like Casa Grande, Cordes Lakes, Flagstaff etc.
Inside info on the 700. Thats the exact number I was told. Looks like I made a good friend. He did also tell me the reason they had so many working the other day on this charger was a few people training. Sounds like Glendale AZ will be the next one to open with 16 more chargers. Got the address too, Westgate shopping center close to the Dutch Brothers off the 101 loop. Just because no permits are found, dosent mean they are none under construction. I think he also said something about a new one off 17 in Phoenix. 16 will be the number for the new ones sounds like. Flagstaff too.

Inside info on the 700. Thats the exact number I was told. Looks like I made a good friend. He did also tell me the reason they had so many working the other day on this charger was a few people training. Sounds like Glendale AZ will be the next one to open with 16 more chargers. Got the address too, Westgate shopping center close to the Dutch Brothers off the 101 loop. Just because no permits are found, dosent mean they are none under construction. I think he also said something about a new one off 17 in Phoenix. 16 will be the number for the new ones sounds like. Flagstaff too.
Ooh, if there's really 700 stalls in the plan that might even be enough to include Kayenta and Chinle, which would be fantastic for visiting Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly. They've got 3-4 years to get those in before I start traveling and head back to the land where I grew up. And that's what really matters, right?

He did also tell me the reason they had so many working the other day on this charger was a few people training.
I feel somewhat vindicated! I've been present for supercharger activations many times (in a few different states) and I've never seen more than two employees present. Usually just one.

Also, your inside info on the Arizona build out is good news but it definitely brings into question the Tesla supercharger map. They recently updated it and it shows very little future activity in Arizona. Weird.

Last edited:
I feel somewhat vindicated! I've been present for supercharger activations a many times (in a few different states) and I've never seen more than two employees present. Usually just one.

Also, your inside info on the Arizona build out is good news but it definitely brings into question the Tesla supercharger map. They recently updated it and it shows very little future activity in Arizona. Weird.
This one got behind and they called in a few people from NM to help this week. They told me 2 things will determine if they can get to the 700 number. Hiring around 20 more employees to the AZ team and the right locations where enough power is close. As far as new locations, Glendale AZ, I dont think it is even on the map but its close to complete. I plan to go there tomorrow and get some pictures. I think he said there is another one under construction in Phoenix (16 stalls) but nothing showing yet. They did ask me what areas I thought needed attention and said a few of the pain points.

This one got behind and they called in a few people from NM to help this week. They told me 2 things will determine if they can get to the 700 number. Hiring around 20 more employees to the AZ team and the right locations where enough power is close. As far as new locations, Glendale AZ, I dont think it is even on the map but its close to complete. I plan to go there tomorrow and get some pictures. I think he said there is another one under construction in Phoenix (16 stalls) but nothing showing yet. They did ask me what areas I thought needed attention and said a few of the pain points.
As an out-of-state road tripper, I'm biased to the more rural areas, but Kayenta and Globe are the obvious ones. Places like Prescott and Show Low would be nice too. Seligman would split a large gap on the interstate. Nogales and/or Bisbee would be interesting. Might be out of their range but some place on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon would be good as well. Jacob Lake probably makes the most sense.

As an out-of-state road tripper, I'm biased to the more rural areas, but Kayenta and Globe are the obvious ones. Places like Prescott and Show Low would be nice too. Seligman would split a large gap on the interstate. Nogales and/or Bisbee would be interesting. Might be out of their range but some place on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon would be good as well. Jacob Lake probably makes the most sense.
Good list. Kayenta, Globe, Show Low, and Seligman all would be great! Wikieup too. Prescott is sort of manageable right now with Cordes Lakes. I would love to see a supercharger in Lake Havasu City (Major pain when I stayed there for a couple days).
Phoenix metro is still underserved with only 1 V2 (or better) supercharger within the entire freeway ring. I noticed that we are starting to see some EVGO 50kw Tesla chargers popping up In PHX area. Nice to see, but certainly not a replacement for superchargers.