Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man do I need this super charger!! Tucson is really tough coming from Safford. (Without having a Chademo adapter which I just ordered yesterday) and even then there are only for CHademo spots listed on plugshare. 14 mile per hour level 2's just don't cut it. Makes it a charging Marathon to try to get back home.

My only hope pretty much are the 80 amp Tesla destination chargers at the Embassy Suites on skyline but that even takes a couple 2 or 3 hours to get enough range to make it back. This thing can't get up and running soon enough for me and others like me living out east of Tucson in southeast Arizona.
When you get your CHAdeMO adapter try the EVGo charger at La Encantada. I have not used it, and thus I don't have a charging rate or cost to pass along.

When you get your CHAdeMO adapter try the EVGo charger at La Encantada. I have not used it, and thus I don't have a charging rate or cost to pass along.

According to PlugShare, there's a $5.95 session fee plus $0.20/minute. That's $12 for a half hour after which it shuts off. There is also conflicting information that implies $9.95 for a half hour, again after which it shuts off.

Either way, $10 or $12 for a half hour at an unknown charging rate is... not advantageous for the traveling Tesla owner relative to an efficient ICE.

I appreciate your pointing out the existence of this charger - maybe it has an unfettered which is to say a full-strength capability, which would equate to about 40% of an SC. Positive spin is that for now it is a nice option for those who don't plan ahead/have the time for lunch at La Paloma or to stop across the street, and who need a little extra to get to Casa Grande.

Nissan will leverage this as part of their 2-year charge for free program, certainly. And I have to believe that EVGo hasn't throttled their Chademos by manufacture to 20kW (see the one at the helpful local Nissan dealership).

Model 3 owners would still be better off paying per minute at the soon to be opened Rita Road SC at $0.16/$0.08 per minute, presuming a reasonable and unpaired 105kW initial rate.

This (first) Tucson SC can't come soon enough. How a city of 1M people and a robust Tesla ownership has been neglected so long is just... notable.

Better times ahead.

According to PlugShare, there's a $5.95 session fee plus $0.20/minute. That's $12 for a half hour after which it shuts off. There is also conflicting information that implies $9.95 for a half hour, again after which it shuts off.

Either way, $10 or $12 for a half hour at an unknown charging rate is... not advantageous for the traveling Tesla owner relative to an efficient ICE.

I appreciate your pointing out the existence of this charger - maybe it has an unfettered which is to say a full-strength capability, which would equate to about 40% of an SC. Positive spin is that for now it is a nice option for those who don't plan ahead/have the time for lunch at La Paloma or to stop across the street, and who need a little extra to get to Casa Grande.

Nissan will leverage this as part of their 2-year charge for free program, certainly. And I have to believe that EVGo hasn't throttled their Chademos by manufacture to 20kW (see the one at the helpful local Nissan dealership).

Model 3 owners would still be better off paying per minute at the soon to be opened Rita Road SC at $0.16/$0.08 per minute, presuming a reasonable and unpaired 105kW initial rate.

This (first) Tucson SC can't come soon enough. How a city of 1M people and a robust Tesla ownership has been neglected so long is just... notable.

Better times ahead.

I completely agree! nrg/eVgo is dead to me. They are not even trying to fix their pricing/time problems. They seem to currently be the only company expanding chademo in Arizona.

Chargepoint makes chademo, but they are not installing in AZ. We need some real competition to show in this State.

Even though we have two Nissan Leafs also, eVgo is also not good for use with them either.

The powers that be, know what we are willing to pay for transportation. Sadly, I suspect that most, if not all charging prices in our future, will coincide with gas prices per mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I, too, have not been able to figure out the EVGo business model. It's always $10-12/half hour and it's half hour max. If I were in a bind, I could see myself paying those rates if I could get 1-2 hours of charge and actually get a fill up while eating somewhere or whatever, but with the exorbitant pricing *and* the half hour limit, it makes no sense to ever use one of those.

I will likely do that "when / if" I get in that area again. That said with the addition of the Tucson Supercharger (at least for me) it will open up the Phoenix metro as a day trip also, (although I will need to take the long way on I-10 through Tucson to reach Phoenix) hitting the Tucson supercharger and then also Casa Grande.

I have not seen any activity anywhere around Wilcox ?? The supercharger there was also to come online by the close of 2017

I'd sure like to see a Supercharger Station in Show Low or Globe to make the direct route from Holbrook to Tucson easier.

Globe used to be on the map, but was removed a few months ago. I have used a NEMA 14-50 in an RV park in Globe that is set aside for electric vehicles (see PlugShare for details). Rate was reasonable and we timed our trip to coincide with a meal, so it all worked out smoothly. This was on a drive from Tucson to Holbrook.

Depending on your car's range, Holbrook to Tucson is pretty do-able; the other direction less so due to the elevation difference.

Globe used to be on the map, but was removed a few months ago. I have used a NEMA 14-50 in an RV park in Globe that is set aside for electric vehicles (see PlugShare for details). Rate was reasonable and we timed our trip to coincide with a meal, so it all worked out smoothly. This was on a drive from Tucson to Holbrook.

Depending on your car's range, Holbrook to Tucson is pretty do-able; the other direction less so due to the elevation difference.
Definitely not doable in my S60! I've looked into that RV park in Globe but it would be nice to have a Supercharger Station there to make the direct route easier and quicker. I've got friends in the Tucson area I'd like to visit someday. These fill-in locations on secondary highways figure to be fairly low priority for Tesla, I would guess. The site I'd most like to see finished would be Kayenta, allowing direct access to Flagstaff from the Four Corners area.

These adaptors must be on B/O or something?? Ordered on 9/5/17 "late evening" online. Got the canned email. No activity since. The canned email says "among other things" that I would receive notification when the shipment leaves the building (tracking number and so forth). Everything else I've ordered from Tesla online has shipped either the same day or the next day following order placement.

Hope the wait is not too long lol!!

These adaptors must be on B/O or something?? Ordered on 9/5/17 "late evening" online. Got the canned email. No activity since. The canned email says "among other things" that I would receive notification when the shipment leaves the building (tracking number and so forth). Everything else I've ordered from Tesla online has shipped either the same day or the next day following order placement.

Hope the wait is not too long lol!!
It could be worse! They sent me the Euro Chademo adapter and I spent a solid 15 minutes pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: chargeshare and ahm
It could be worse! They sent me the Euro Chademo adapter and I spent a solid 15 minutes pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. LOL

Try this one on... I purchased one in May that back ordered into June only to find out in the end that it was defective. I went to use it in August and it didn't work.

The Tesla Store rep told me it was the software of the Quick Charge stations and not a defective chademo adapter. That was proven wrong by a swap at a Service Center. The swapped unit works perfectly.

I've have to say the Service Center was very helpful and great to work with, but the Tesla Store was not.

Last edited:

Try this one on... I purchased one in May that back ordered into June only to find out in the end that it was defective. I went to use it in August and it didn't work.
The Tesla Store rep told me it was the software of the Quick Charge stations and not a defective chademo adapter. That was proven wrong by a swap at a Service Center. The swapped unit works perfectly.

Hmmm judging from this it appears it may be a bumpy ride lol!!

Right this minute I can't do you better than 240 Volt @ 30 Amp and J1772 adapter. I haven't Installed HPWC yet but have it setting and waiting for cooler weather.

Current wiring will only support 50 Amp. I have two 30 Amp J1772 charge stations set up and heavy enough wiring that I can change one to 50 amp.

I am considering putting in heavier gauge wire for an 80 amp as my car has duel chargers. But I haven't decided yet... I may stick to just changing one to 50 amp.

Right this minute I can't do you better than 240 Volt @ 30 Amp and J1772 adapter. I haven't Installed HPWC yet but have it setting and waiting for cooler weather.

Current wiring will only support 50 Amp. I have two 30 Amp J1772 charge stations set up and heavy enough wiring that I can change one to 50 amp.

I am considering putting in heavier gauge wire for an 80 amp as my car has duel chargers. But I haven't decided yet... I may stick to just changing one to 50 amp.

I have dual chargers as well and can tell you they are "nice to have" when you come across an 80 amp capable J1772, or a full strength Tesla Destination charger. The Embassy suites in Tucson on Skyline has two "full powered" Tesla destination chargers available to the public. I was able to charge there @ 52 mph at a sustained 78 / 80 amps.

Like you however @ home I am using my existing setup, a Clipper Creek 30 amp unit I was using on my Volt. It gives me 22 mph. charge rate which for home use is proving to be plenty for overnight charging, I'm sleeping anyway lol!!

I have dual chargers as well and can tell you they are "nice to have" when you come across an 80 amp capable J1772, or a full strength Tesla Destination charger. The Embassy suites in Tucson on Skyline has two "full powered" Tesla destination chargers available to the public. I was able to charge there @ 52 mph at a sustained 78 / 80 amps.

Like you however @ home I am using my existing setup, a Clipper Creek 30 amp unit I was using on my Volt. It gives me 22 mph. charge rate which for home use is proving to be plenty for overnight charging, I'm sleeping anyway lol!!

The Element Hotel in Chandler has an 80 amp that can be used by the public.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
I stopped by the construction site Tucson SC this afternoon. Some additional trenching by the existing transformer The forms are in place at the base of where the 10 SC will be.
IMG_5702.JPG
IMG_5703.JPG

I wonder if these will be the new design? Based upon the permit value that was reported earlier in the thread, that might be why it wasn't as much as others have been.

Don't think so. In an earlier picture posted last week by ahm you can see the SC pedestals (or whatever thet're called) lined up in a storage unit. They are the type we are used to seeing at SCs. I think the new design announced today is meant to be used in the urban SCs as they are smaller and take up less space.