Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a safe bet that existing utility transformer is not the one that will serve the charging site. Need 500 kVA minimum capacity, and those have cooling fins on the back. This one does not, and appears physically smaller as well. Maybe they will upgrade that one from whatever it is, but that would mean that the existing customers are already getting 277/480, which I wouldn't necessarily expect. They are not that large.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and otter
Its a safe bet that existing utility transformer is not the one that will serve the charging site. Need 500 kVA minimum capacity, and those have cooling fins on the back. This one does not, and appears physically smaller as well. Maybe they will upgrade that one from whatever it is, but that would mean that the existing customers are already getting 277/480, which I wouldn't necessarily expect. They are not that large.
I think you all are correct. I'm betting on a new and separate transformer, which is what I've always seen at other sites. Sorry to have even speculated! I hope the new transformer arrives without a long delay, but that's probably even more wishful thinking.

I won't be needing this one until December, but southern Arizona has waited waaaaay too long for a supercharger.

Lots of progress in just two days of work at the Tesla SC (9225 S Rita Red, Tucson). All stanchions up, wire pulled, pad for transformer, and concrete forms placed.
IMG_5744.JPG
IMG_5745.JPG
IMG_5746.JPG
IMG_5748.JPG
IMG_5749.JPG
IMG_5750.JPG
IMG_5751.JPG
IMG_5753.JPG

These "mini transformers" are dry-type autotransformers (i.e. single winding) rated for 480V one side, and 504V on the other. I've seen them used at one other location, at El Paso. I can't figure out why these are used at some locations, and not others. Schematically, they would reside to the high side of the main rectifiers. Maybe an enhancement to ultimately get more voltage on the DC side, and hence more power to the cars? Or maybe they are a standard part of all newer installations, and all the other superchargers I've been to are older. Anyone else know? The serving utilities should all be providing 277/480V three phase to within plus or minus 5%, in accordance with ANSI.
Maybe these locations are known to be to the lower end of that band, as might be the case if they are toward the end of the distribution feeders, and Tesla wants a more consistent, higher voltage output on the line side of the rectifiers. You have to be careful then that it doesn't go too high during "off-peak" times.
Thanks for this post! I have been wondering what type of transformers they were, and what their function might be, since the first picture of them, with the schematic transformer diagram on their cases, was posted. For what it's worth: I peeked throught the wooden enclosure at the Green River, UT SC yesterday and saw two of these, one for each supercharger, as well. It opened 3/17/14. They looked to be in good shape, but corrosion on some of the fasteners suggested they were not a recent addition.

An it looks like Deming NM is now permitted. With Tucson and Deming and an 85 kWh or larger battery, this will open a southern route (I-10 + I-20). WIllcox will make it practical for all battery sizes, and (someday) Ft Stockton TX will make I-10 practical.
Progress!

Reactions: Lu Ann and ahm
Any speculation as to where the Wilcox charger will be?
Apple Annies would love to have it near their pie store I'm sure. so would McDonalds, Safeway, etc.
It would be interesting to know how the site selection works and how incentive money changes hands.

would these be used to offset voltage loss through the cable under high load? That is, longer runs of cable to the pedestal would get auto transformers, shorter runs would not. Just speculation.

My bet was that autotransformers would be employed to offset voltage loss from the utility to the Supercharger cabinets. It would compensate for the distance between the SC and the utility’s substation as well as any potential loading of the on-site transformer.

Since DC is supplied to the pedestals an autotransformer would not affect cabinet to pedestal voltage loss.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones