Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct, it does. One doesn't really need an elevation plot since the nav energy display shows elevation changes quite clearly.

In my experience the nav system doesn't handle high freeway speeds correctly — the energy plot works for 60 to 65 mph but doesn't profile highways with 75 or 80 mph speed limits correctly; I have to leave with a much larger buffer than nav recommends when driving at 75 or 80. The nav system also doesn't account for altitude — reduced air density — or weather, of course.
I have had the same experience. I would never leave the supercharger when it tells me to if I planned on driving 70mph or more, even if that was the speed limit. I would always wait for a 20% buffer or more in those cases. Also, I have had unexpectedly long range when driving at altitude in summer, so I figured that is the air density thing.

And lastly, I can confirm that the nav does at least attempt to account for altitude. I was in a somewhat sticky situation when I drove through a real downpour driving from Brewer, ME to Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec. At one point I had about 23 miles left to drive and only 20 rated miles remaining. I normally would have slowed down to a crawl at this point (rural road after midnight on a week night so wouldn't have been a big deal), but since the rain had subsided and the Nav was confident that I would arrive with 2% remaining or whatever it was, I just continued to drive at the speed limit. Sure enough, most of the rest of the trip was downhill, losing close to 1,000 ft in elevation and I comfortably arrived with 2 or 3 rated miles remaining.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I have had the same experience. I would never leave the supercharger when it tells me to if I planned on driving 70mph or more, even if that was the speed limit. I would always wait for a 20% buffer or more in those cases. Also, I have had unexpectedly long range when driving at altitude in summer, so I figured that is the air density thing.

And lastly, I can confirm that the nav does at least attempt to account for altitude. I was in a somewhat sticky situation when I drove through a real downpour driving from Brewer, ME to Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec. At one point I had about 23 miles left to drive and only 20 rated miles remaining. I normally would have slowed down to a crawl at this point (rural road after midnight on a week night so wouldn't have been a big deal), but since the rain had subsided and the Nav was confident that I would arrive with 2% remaining or whatever it was, I just continued to drive at the speed limit. Sure enough, most of the rest of the trip was downhill, losing close to 1,000 ft in elevation and I comfortably arrived with 2 or 3 rated miles remaining.
However, I do notice that there is a lag when accounting for the uphill and downhill. If you look at the trip tab of the energy screen (when a nav route has been activated), one will see flat sections of the battery charge remaining ( which are downhill sections) and really steep sections which are uphill climbs. I've noticed that those sections don't always happen at the exact same time that I drive over them - there are slight lags now and then - maybe a couple of miles.

My problem is that on long trip legs I can't choose to use a 20% buffer in my S60.

Last month I did a 181 mile trip leg from the Albuquerque Supercharger Station to the Farmington NM Supercharger Station. I charged to 97%, by which time charging is very slow, and when I left the estimated capacity at my destination was 5% and Tessie the nav system recommended that I keep my speed below 60 mph. I ignored that speed recommendation because I knew that the entire trip was at high altitude, meaning less air density than the nav system uses for projections. Instead I kept to the speed limit — mostly 70 mph, except when passing through towns — or a bit below and tried to keep the end battery projection at 5%. When it dropped to 4% I slowed a bit. When it got to 6% I increased speed a bit. Got to my destination with 4-5% left, as expected. I was helped by mild weather in the 50s and 60s and no wind. The total range of my car is about 186 RM, so no 20% buffers for me! That trip is about the limit of what I can do with my S60.

Albuquerque to Farmington-profile.png

^ The high point of this trip leg is the Continental Divide, which I find amusing since it is lower than my house here in western Colorado.

Last edited:
My problem is that on long trip legs I can't choose to use a 20% buffer in my S60.

Then you just need to start off the drive going slowly and cautiously. This would be the equivalent of me attempting a 241 mile trip in my S90D and I know exactly what that feels like. Any time I attempt something over 200 miles I know I'm going to have to be careful and even if it's in the 170-200 range, I'm keeping a close eye on the battery and adjust accordingly.

Of course 20% buffers aren't always possible, but driving slowly is always an option.

As far as the speed recommendations are concerned, I feel comfortable going 10mph over and if you really want to push it, I think 15mph over will get you there as long as there isn't some other unusual circumstance (mostly weather related). I have attempted to maintain speed at 20mph over the recommendation but that often results in having to slow down greatly near the end of the trip, so it's probably not time effective overall to try it. Some trips it will work and others it will actually end up slowing you down overall (not to mention forcing you to drive under the speed limit which usually isn't advisable).

Then you just need to start off the drive going slowly and cautiously. This would be the equivalent of me attempting a 241 mile trip in my S90D and I know exactly what that feels like. Any time I attempt something over 200 miles I know I'm going to have to be careful and even if it's in the 170-200 range, I'm keeping a close eye on the battery and adjust accordingly.

Of course 20% buffers aren't always possible, but driving slowly is always an option.
Yes, I learned to slow down right away after the first time I hit a stiff headwind and didn't. Now, if my estimated battery capacity at the destination is dropping I slow down a bit immediately until it stabilizes and speed up again once I know I have the destination made. Tesla's energy plot makes road trips really easy, so long as one uses it — I've met some new owners who just charged to near full at each Supercharger Station because they didn't know how to use the energy plot. The toughest trip leg for me continues to be Twin Falls ID to Tremonton UT, 147 miles. Several hills, 700 feet of elevation gain and an 80 mph speed limit. Even with a 95% charge I can't go near the speed limit on that stretch and I've done it four times.

Yes, I learned to slow down right away after the first time I hit a stiff headwind and didn't. Now, if my estimated battery capacity at the destination is dropping I slow down a bit immediately until it stabilizes and speed up again once I know I have the destination made. Tesla's energy plot makes road trips really easy, so long as one uses it — I've met some new owners who just charged to near full at each Supercharger Station because they didn't know how to use the energy plot. The toughest trip leg for me continues to be Twin Falls ID to Tremonton UT, 147 miles. Several hills, 700 feet of elevation gain and an 80 mph speed limit. Even with a 95% charge I can't go near the speed limit on that stretch and I've done it four times.
Didn't know how to use the energy chart? That is sad, but shows that the model S is being bought by lesser tech savvy people who view it more like a plain car that needs its tank filled now and then.

Didn't know how to use the energy chart? That is sad, but shows that the model S is being bought by lesser tech savvy people who view it more like a plain car that needs its tank filled now and then.
Just so. Since a lot of Model 3 buyers say they will rarely take road trips they won't really need to learn to use the energy plot. It will be a local car for them.

I had trouble with that one in a relatively new 90D with ~290 rated miles! It was January with temps near 0F but still.

The SC on the SE side of Tucson (Rita Road exit off I-10) is a bit congested these days. Pilot has taken over as the store operator. Today is the first day open as a Pilot Station, formally a Shell Station. There are display cases near the pedestals and a lot of ICE cars parked in the SC spots. I did not confirm this, but I suspect those cars are staff and vendors setting up the new store. There were several SC Stalls available when I was there this afternoon. I spoke to the store manager and was told it would be a few more days before everything is in place. If you visit this SC please be patient and understanding, I don't think it will be too much longer.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier

Well, I don't know how to use the energy chart and never even knew about it until I started reading this thread. I'm always willing to learn more, so would you mind giving me a detailed explanation of how to activate the navigation route, and how to use the energy chart in planning my future trips? Thanks.

Well, I don't know how to use the energy chart and never even knew about it until I started reading this thread. I'm always willing to learn more, so would you mind giving me a detailed explanation of how to activate the navigation route, and how to use the energy chart in planning my future trips? Thanks.
Sure - send me a message and let me know what your starting point is. We can proceed from there.