Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tucumcari, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be great for my May trip across I-40 also. It sure looks like it's in the Holiday Inn Express lot to me- not LaQuinta- but they are right next door to each other- Also, I like the pull in spots- not likely to be ICE''d out even if an ICE is pulled in you probably can get close enough for the cable to reach the charge port and block in the ICE while charging. I would recommend staying with the car if you have to do that, and ICE'r isn't going to understand or care that you needed "fuel" and this is your "gas" station. Anyway- Thanks Tesla Motors for making a dream a reality.

That is awesome news. As long as I can at least do the speed limit along the way I will be happy. My P85 should do the Shamrock to Tucumcari, will just watch it with the elevation headed west. I should be passing through in a few days, if nobody has any pictures posted by then I will try to get some posted. With Tucumcari I can make it to California on all superchargers except Albuquerque, but I can destination charge there overnight.

Probably too late now, but pictures would have been great!

It looks like you got first charge from Tucumcari!

Looking at Superchargers Visited - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum Wiki, you are on quite a roll...

Its never too late, here is the pix. Wow, the first ONE to charge there. COOL, did not expect that. I had plans to charge in Amarillo with "SHORTY" really cool guy on the phone I found on plug share. He was even willing to leave his HPWC cable outside his garage for my arrival at 5am on a sunday morning. Since Tucumari was opened, I did not have to stop in Amarillo. My battery is getting pretty low on charging. Full charge I am at 246 miles. I did a leg from Gallup, NM to Santa Rosa, 245 miles. I drive between 50-55mph, and arrived with 40 miles left. I still feel my car can go 300 miles if I needed to. You also get the extra 8 miles reserve. On that leg, I planned to charge on 30amps in Albuquerque from a nice fella Robert on plug share, as I got closer, I realized I had 40 extra miles. I decided to skip ALBQ and arrived Santa Rosa safely.
Yes I am on a roll, been planning this trip while I was in Asia for 6 months. Going to be able to charge for my first ever on SC on Massachusetts, my childhood home state.

image1.JPG

Wow, so happy to hear that it's open! I'm at the Holiday Inn Express in Amarillo charging and will be so happy to try out Tucumcari tomorrow.
It will make the run to Albuquerque fast and stress-free. If winds are blowing it will destroy your mileage, very dangerous to attempt that run just based on rated miles. Strong headwind can knock off 20% like it did to me last week.

Care needs to be taken going West due to the 1,800 ft elevation gain. The speed limit is 75 mph and if you try to keep up with the traffic going 80+ mph there will likely be trouble. Still, a lot easier than Shamrock-Santa Rosa.

+1
Bingo.
Driving the posted speed limit headed West into wind and a near 2,000 foot elevation raise should be handled with caution.
If you drive in Range Mode without speed control about first half of your trip, and adjust (and continue to monitor) your speed as you feel comfortable for the second half of the trip you will make it.

Driving Speed, Wind and Elevation are Range Killers.
Two of the three you cannot control, the one element you can effectively monitor and control is driving speed.

Wonder why it's not appearing in the Tesla Navigation- I don't think St Charles is either. Maybe they are awaiting some event to announce these two new chargers. Until they do, evtripplanner.com doesn't show them either. ( Supercharge.info does however)

Wonder why it's not appearing in the Tesla Navigation- I don't think St Charles is either. Maybe they are awaiting some event to announce these two new chargers. Until they do, evtripplanner.com doesn't show them either. ( Supercharge.info does however)
Riviera (W. Palm) Beach, St. Charles and Tucumcari also don't appear yet on Tesla's U.S. Supercharger map or their list. I think they may be deliberately leaving Riviera Beach off as they did with the Chicago service Center SC. As it is their map is out of date, and their U.S. SC listings have been seriously screwed up since 4/14/15 - since then, all new SCs after maybe four of five months ago aren't listed under their state, they are lumped together in a 'state' called 'United States' which appears between Texas and Utah in the list. If you're looking for SCs in a state earlier in the alphabet than Texas/Utah, you'll probably never realize the others are there.

Then there's some other errors: 'Big Timber' is listed under 'MT', but Billings, Bozeman and Missoula are listed under 'Montana' four 'states' later, and Butte and Superior is listed under 'United States' fourteen 'states' down the list. There is no listing for the state of 'Nevada,' because they apparently all opened recently enough that they're all listed under 'United States'. No listing for the state of Missouri either, as 'Independence' appears under 'United States', and St. Charles will presumably do so as well when it eventually appears, if this isn't fixed. Listing SCs alphabetically by country only works when you've got a fairly small number of them; once the numbers (and the state) are large enough it's much too cumbersome to look for them that way, and you need to break up the list by state or province.

A couple of days ago I wrote Tesla an email pointing out the problems, but haven't heard back from them, and they obviously haven't fixed it. It would probably carry more weight if some Tesla _owners_ were to email them with complaints.

Last edited:
Guy, do not feel like you are alone in being ignored. I really do not think that Tesla responds to email frequently, owner or not. I have sent a couple, and have not received a reply either, and I am an owner.
As I'm not directly impacted until such time as I get a Tesla it doesn't bother me, just leaves me somewhat perplexed, as it makes them look like amateurs. They still haven't changed the website under 'Top 5 questions', "How Far Can I Go" to reflect the replacing of the S60 with the S70D. Perhaps it just needs a critical mass of complaints to reach them.

Its never too late, here is the pix. Wow, the first ONE to charge there. COOL, did not expect that. I had plans to charge in Amarillo with "SHORTY" really cool guy on the phone I found on plug share. He was even willing to leave his HPWC cable outside his garage for my arrival at 5am on a sunday morning. Since Tucumari was opened, I did not have to stop in Amarillo. My battery is getting pretty low on charging. Full charge I am at 246 miles. I did a leg from Gallup, NM to Santa Rosa, 245 miles. I drive between 50-55mph, and arrived with 40 miles left. I still feel my car can go 300 miles if I needed to. You also get the extra 8 miles reserve. On that leg, I planned to charge on 30amps in Albuquerque from a nice fella Robert on plug share, as I got closer, I realized I had 40 extra miles. I decided to skip ALBQ and arrived Santa Rosa safely.
Yes I am on a roll, been planning this trip while I was in Asia for 6 months. Going to be able to charge for my first ever on SC on Massachusetts, my childhood home state.

View attachment 78891

I used Shorty, nice Dude in Amarillo going East Bound on 40 a few weeks ago. On my way back West I charged in Gallup then hit up Robert in ABQ, also a nice dude. Then spent night in Santa Rosa then drove to Amarillo for a NEMA 14-50 so I could make it to Shamrock. Fun trip. Tucamcari will make that leg so much easier.

As I'm not directly impacted until such time as I get a Tesla it doesn't bother me, just leaves me somewhat perplexed, as it makes them look like amateurs. They still haven't changed the website under 'Top 5 questions', "How Far Can I Go" to reflect the replacing of the S60 with the S70D. Perhaps it just needs a critical mass of complaints to reach them.
For whatever reason, they've now fixed the U.S. SC page, and updated the main map to show St. Charles.

For whatever reason, they've now fixed the U.S. SC page, and updated the main map to show St. Charles.
Well, mostly fixed it. Auburn and Greenville, AL are now listed under 'Alberta', but at least that's directly under 'Alabama', where Mobile is listed. To quote the Fab Four, "It's getting better all the time (better, Better, BETter), getting so much BETTER all the time!"

According to the Supercharger Team, Tucumcari hasn't been added to the database because isn't officially opened as yet. They cite a persistent power quality problem as the cause...

Thank you for your email and feedback. The Tucumcari, NM station is not listed on our website or in your Model S navigation because the site is not officially open to the public. We take great care to make sure that all stations are added to the website and all Model S within 24 hours or less from opening.

We are working on a power quality issue and until we are able to find a solution, we cannot guarantee that the site will be operational. Therefore, we have not opened the station and we would not want to route customers to this site until we are able to ensure functionality.

We appreciate your patience and support for our Supercharger technology and we look forward to officially opening this station soon.

Thank you,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Well, mostly fixed it. Auburn and Greenville, AL are now listed under 'Alberta', but at least that's directly under 'Alabama', where Mobile is listed. To quote the Fab Four, "It's getting better all the time (better, Better, BETter), getting so much BETTER all the time!"
An email to Tesla has apparently been the cause of Auburn and Greenville resuming their rightful places in Alabama and Alberta returning to Canada, I expect to the great relief of both Alabamans and Albertans!:biggrin:

It worked on 5/8 also- however, I was told by Tesla that the utility power isn't stable enough and that is going to be fixed, and until then this site will not be listed as on-line- Same problem as Perry- however it is listed- and it was down when I tried using it today Lesson learned. don't count on the new stations until they have been on line awhile and you check at TMC to make sure they are usable.