Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tucumcari, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The site dropped from the GPS supercharger map, but I called Tesla service who said that they'd taken the site off the map until they're sure of the level of service. Found the site on Plugshare and charged without problem on 1A at 4:30p, 5/9/15.

I too charged there today about an hour before you- full charge rate, as I only had 56 miles range when I plugged in- ( I used 3B) Saw current peak at 318Amps

I had called Tesla earlier in the day to try to ascertain if the charger was on at all- and they said they could not tell me- So I charged extra long at Shamrock, in case I had to RV park charge to make Santa Rosa.

Glad this one seems to be working, just wish Tesla would either get it on the Nav screen or at least tell us if we have any chance of charging here if we call.

It may be a rhetorical question, but when will Tesla officialize this supercharger?
Great question. IMHO, the challenge for Tesla Motors has to be Amarillo. While some of us have made the trip from Shamrock to Tucumcari, there are drivers who may not pay attention to wind conditions and lower than speed limit requirements with an 85 kW battery. 60 kW owners would have even more of a challenge. Until Amarillo has a Supercharger, does Tesla want to discourage travel on I-40? No better way than not listing the Tucumcari station. The navigation won't automatically route travelers through the area. Problem solved.

For those who take the extra time to plan the trip using the Superchargers website will see an active dot for Tucumcari. Hopefully those road trippers are reading the threads and paying attention to the mileage between stations. For those who plan and are willing to drive slowly when conditions require it, I-40 is a time saving way to travel.

Another key to the puzzle could be Albuquerque. As of June 1, the Supercharger only needs an electric meter and activation to be finished. No more CHAdeMO adapters or alternative AC charging will be needed. Once it is active, the I-40 route will work for everyone if they make plans to charge in Amarillo at a HPWC destination charger or other AC EVSE if necessary.

Finally- I wonder if they got the original problem with the input power fixed or if it's just been reliable enough now to list it. I used this charger twice in May and had no problems- on the other hand- Perry let me down one way but worked fine the other way. Sure glad to see this one listed and ABQ will be on line soon I suspect.

It is now an official Supercharger:

Capture.JPG

Wasn't there a permit indication for a SC between this location and Shamrock, TX? It seems to be missing from supercharge.info as of today. Or am I dreaming?

I've been scanning the permits about 3 times a week. Nothing has been issued yet.

Holiday Inn Express had told me that they were going to host a supercharger, however it turned out to be merely some Tesla 80 amp chargers. So it was a false alarm.

Agree, Amarillo really needs a SC for travel to Colorado via Trinidad, and because any adverse weather makes the Shamrock-Tucumcari segment iffy.

Just a heads up... That K-Bob's "steakhouse" place is indescribably awful. I stopped in to charge and against my better judgment, chose to eat there because I wanted to watch the world series game and it was the only place I could find with both food and TVs. It was literally the worst restaurant experience I have ever had, so thought I would post here to warn others to avoid. Awful food, slooooow, rude service, etc. I won't bother going into great detail, but I read some of the negative reviews on yelp after the fact, and they pretty much matched my experience, so read those if you are curious.

The Supercharger was fast. Much faster than the service at K-Bob's! :)