Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tukwila, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, Tues Jan 10. When I first arrived it was about 1 or 130pm PST. Which, if this just happens to be the time they send their employees over to fill em up, could be worse right? Aren't rush hour/commuting hours when most superchargers are busiest?
I had a similar experience trying to charge to drive home to Idaho on 2022 Saturday Jan 7 in the early afternoon. Chargers all full with 1-3 waiting on each side.

This has got to be a one off or rare event.
Except it's happening at the supercharger near the Denver airport as well:

Sounds like Hertz doesnt have the infrastructure they need to support 100k electric cars with the turnaround times they normally have. 30 minutes to wash and vacuum and sanitize? Maybe if people return them full of gas/charge. Maybe what we are seeing is renters opting for the pay in advance for a full tank/charge option and this means it is up to Hertz to recharge which takes much longer than a 5 minute fill up of gas. Either way, the renter or Hertz would be using the SC to top off the car so it would still lead to increased traffic at airport SC unless Tesla bans them from the stations and Hertz has to install private SC on their lots. 4 stalls for $50k plus infrastructure is pretty steep entry into the EV rental game.

Maybe Tesla can limit them to 25% occupancy of a SC at a time (any extra cars wouldn't charge and would rack up fees if left plugged in).

Sounds like Hertz doesnt have the infrastructure they need to support 100k electric cars with the turnaround times they normally have. 30 minutes to wash and vacuum and sanitize? Maybe if people return them full of gas/charge. Maybe what we are seeing is renters opting for the pay in advance for a full tank/charge option and this means it is up to Hertz to recharge which takes much longer than a 5 minute fill up of gas. Either way, the renter or Hertz would be using the SC to top off the car so it would still lead to increased traffic at airport SC unless Tesla bans them from the stations and Hertz has to install private SC on their lots. 4 stalls for $50k plus infrastructure is pretty steep entry into the EV rental game.

Maybe Tesla can limit them to 25% occupancy of a SC at a time (any extra cars wouldn't charge and would rack up fees if left plugged in).
A couple of things...

First, Hertz is constructing their own private superchargers at certain locations. I cannot remember where I saw this, but I know I read an article or something about this recently. I don't believe any of them are completed yet though, so...

Second, I've heard from friends who have tried these Hertz Tesla rentals that the SOC return requirements vary by airport. They've reported 10%, 20%, 70%, 80%, etc. I believe the 10-20% are more common.

At this stage in the EV game, I think it makes sense to only require 10-20%, as the infrastructure really isn't there yet for the typical neophyte EV renter. Assuming someone has never driven an EV before (which will be the case for a high percentage of these renters), it is unlikely that their accommodation will have EV charging and even if it does, depending on the distance to the airport, they may drain a significant portion of the battery on the way to their flight anyway. Then you're potentially asking them to sit and charge for 30-60 minutes to get up to the 70-80% SOC and that is a best case scenario. The supercharger may be crowded (as reported in this thread). Their battery may be cold-soaked, a phenomenon that a new EV driver would know nothing about. All in all, that policy would lead to missed flights and frustration. So I think it should be on the rental company to charge the cars in between renters. Whether or not the customers get charged and how much they get charged for the electricity is another matter that has to be dealt with. I would lean towards not charging them for the ~$10 in electricity stored in the battery, but we all know how petty car rental companies can be.

Hertz charges $7 + pump price for gas refueling.

If gas is 10 gallons * $3/gal = $37

If Tesla charges $15.50 @ $0.31kwh for 66% charge that still leaves a customer expectation gap of about $20 to pay someone to cycle them through the supercharger. You could also optimize the system with a shuttle van.

(1) [15 minutes] 8 employees drop off cars.
(2) [15 minutes] Van drives them back to SeaTac Rental Garage.

Every 30 minutes you could drop off another 8 cars.

That's 10 employees * $20 an hour labor + 1 van.

$250/hr (including van) / 16 cars charged = $15/rental. That's unfortunately probably cost effective for Hertz. Easy to hide $15 a day in the "premium" EV rental.

Hertz charges $7 + pump price for gas refueling.

If gas is 10 gallons * $3/gal = $37

If Tesla charges $15.50 @ $0.31kwh for 66% charge that still leaves a customer expectation gap of about $20 to pay someone to cycle them through the supercharger. You could also optimize the system with a shuttle van.

(1) [15 minutes] 8 employees drop off cars.
(2) [15 minutes] Van drives them back to SeaTac Rental Garage.

Every 30 minutes you could drop off another 8 cars.

That's 10 employees * $20 an hour labor + 1 van.

$250/hr (including van) / 16 cars charged = $15/rental. That's unfortunately probably cost effective for Hertz. Easy to hide $15 a day in the "premium" EV rental.
But they are not doing that. People are staying with the cars because not all of them need the same charge so idle fees would incur and kill Hertz financially.